An Old School Catholic Message Board

Re: "lasts" At Home

ToJesusMyHeart

petitpèlerin

So many good thoughts shared already. Here's mine: I entered a community last fall and went through the "lasts". Then I left a couple months later and I've been enjoying all kinds of the simple pleasures that I thought I'd never experience again. I'm entering another community this fall and I've been thinking about this thread and I've realized I don't want to think in terms of "lasts" again. It feels too much like the focus is on what I'm giving up rather than what I'm gaining. This time I'm going to try to keep my focus there, not on what I'm leaving behind but on where I'm headed.

Ironically. One of the simple pleasures that I enjoy out here in the world are Panera Bread pastries. (All their food, actually.) The first thing I did the morning I left the community was stop at a Panera and get a coffee and pastry. Well, in case giving up sugar cookies and cinnamon chip scones were more than I could bear, the community I'm entering gets donations of day-old breads and pastries from the nearby Panera, and they serve the pastries with breakfast on Sunday mornings! God has a sense of humor. Also, my last big worry about religious life was not being able to swim ever again. And when I talked recently to my prioress to ask her about entering, she mentioned the sisters swimming. I asked her about the specifics of how they do it, what they wear, etc., and it's totally liveable! This is so the right community for me.  ;)

So many good thoughts shared already. Here's mine: I entered a community last fall and went through the "lasts". Then I left a couple months later and I've been enjoying all kinds of the simple pleasures that I thought I'd never experience again. I'm entering another community this fall and I've been thinking about this thread and I've realized I don't want to think in terms of "lasts" again. It feels too much like the focus is on what I'm giving up rather than what I'm gaining. This time I'm going to try to keep my focus there, not on what I'm leaving behind but on where I'm headed.

Ironically. One of the simple pleasures that I enjoy out here in the world are Panera Bread pastries. (All their food, actually.) The first thing I did the morning I left the community was stop at a Panera and get a coffee and pastry. Well, in case giving up sugar cookies and cinnamon chip scones were more than I could bear, the community I'm entering gets donations of day-old breads and pastries from the nearby Panera, and they serve the pastries with breakfast on Sunday mornings! God has a sense of humor. Also, my last big worry about religious life was not being able to swim ever again. And when I talked recently to my prioress to ask her about entering, she mentioned the sisters swimming. I asked her about the specifics of how they do it, what they wear, etc., and it's totally liveable! This is so the right community for me.  ;)

That's what I was trying to get at in my post, PP. And yes, coffee and a pastry was a priority when I came out too - and loved it!

You sound really happy and like you've found a great community. :)

maximillion

Coffee and a pastry.....yes!

(Some lucky souls have an RL where these are common :hehe2: )

For me, coming out of the convent in tears but being in France, there was one place to head for human comfort....the Patisserie!

I ate a Religieuse!

http://thenovicegardener.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/french-pastry-religieuse-au-chocolat1.jpg