An Old School Catholic Message Board

Opera In A Carmelite Monastery

Luigi

Taken from the website of St. Joseph Carmelite monastery in St. Louis: 

Dialogues of the Carmelites

This Saturday, June 14, at 2:00 P.M. in the Monastery Chapel, you are invited to hear the opera in English from Dialogues of the Carmelites. The understudies for the Opera Theatre of Saint Louis will perform. Admission is free of charge. Come join us and hear the inspiring story of the Carmelite Martyrs of Compiegne who were guillotined during the French Revolution.

I wonder how that will affect the poor sister on the other side of the altar trying to maintain her concentration during her Eucharistic adoration. But I think it's an interesting event - and a nice collaboration between the company and the convent. 

One of my friends is in the London production of it this summer! I've not yet seen it on stage, but I've read it and it's got so many memorable lines.

"We are not an enterprise for mortification or the preservation of the virtues, we are a house of prayer."

Can't be certain, but almost always in a situation like this, the Blessed Sacrament will be reposed in a different location.... not that He'd mind watching the opera, but for the reason you suggest.

It's a powerful opera... based on the 16 beatified Carmelite Nuns who offered their lives that the French Revolution might end....

Can't be certain, but almost always in a situation like this, the Blessed Sacrament will be reposed in a different location.... not that He'd mind watching the opera, but for the reason you suggest.

It's a powerful opera... based on the 16 beatified Carmelite Nuns who offered their lives that the French Revolution might end....

It is fictionalized to make it "more dramatic" which really was not necessary.  The truth is a very stirring story without an "improvements".

I COMPLETELY agree with you, Perigrina, but then, so was the story line of Song of Bernadette....