An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dating Rules

Perigrina

There is a reason for both.

But maybe only fembots would catch onto the first one.

The "her body, her rules" would be more ok to my ears if I didn't so often hear it applied specifically to procured abortion.

The "her body, her rules" would be more ok to my ears if I didn't so often hear it applied specifically to procured abortion.

Yes, I took it as an allusion to abortion too.

Credo in Deum

Yes, I took it as an allusion to abortion too.

But his shirt is collard, that has to count for something....right? Edited by Credo in Deum

fides' Jack

As a father, I must say that I hesitate finding anything of merit in the first shirt, regardless of any affiliation with abortion.

Depending on the age and circumstances of my daughter, of course, I will make the rules.

And my rules would look something like the other shirt.  Probably a bit altered.

Edited by fides' Jack

When I use it, I mean "don't rape women" though I can see how it could be applied to abortion.

My Dad made the rules. First rule, expect to get frisked. Second rule, expect to get cross examined. Third rule, make curfew or risk being disembowelled.

No wonder I didn't get married until I was 43.

Spem in alium

But his shirt is collard, that has to count for something....right?

In my view, that's the only selling point of that shirt.

Semper Catholic

In my view, that's the only selling point of that shirt.

I know right. Why teach women to respect themselves when we can just give them a shirt made by the Duggars.

Semper Catholic

I also find it interesting that only one of these shirts immediately mentions sex. Shows where the priorities are.

Catherine Therese

My body as a woman is mine in a sense, yes, but it is something I received and something for which I am caretaker, and if I extrapolate the theological reality of my body also housing the indwelling of the Trinity by virtue of my Baptism, it's God's body too. This is further supported by the fact that I don't have being in myself, but that ALL being is derived from God's being. 

With respect to OTHER people, my body is my own. With respect to God, my body is for my good, but held in trust rather than owned by me.

So even without the abortion connotation, "her body, her rules" in a Catholic setting is missing the mark just a little, IMHO. 

What I find upsetting about the feminist father's shirt is that I think he truly believes that what he has said is giving her the respect that she deserves. I concede that he's giving her the autonomy that she probably wants, but I don't believe that autonomy and respect are the same thing. Odds are that when his daughter grows past her adolescent need to be out from under his thumb and discovers that, whilst her Father washed his hands of responsibility and stepped out of the way, her long line of ex-boyfriends has manipulated her emotionally so that she would voluntarily allow them to use her physically. If that eventuates, she's going to resent that her Dad didn't man up and protect her a little bit when she was too naive to protect herself. 

Semper Catholic

My body as a woman is mine in a sense, yes, but it is something I received and something for which I am caretaker, and if I extrapolate the theological reality of my body also housing the indwelling of the Trinity by virtue of my Baptism, it's God's body too. This is further supported by the fact that I don't have being in myself, but that ALL being is derived from God's being.

With respect to OTHER people, my body is my own. With respect to God, my body is for my good, but held in trust rather than owned by me.

So even without the abortion connotation, "her body, her rules" in a Catholic setting is missing the mark just a little, IMHO.

What I find upsetting about the feminist father's shirt is that I think he truly believes that what he has said is giving her the respect that she deserves. I concede that he's giving her the autonomy that she probably wants, but I don't believe that autonomy and respect are the same thing. Odds are that when his daughter grows past her adolescent need to be out from under his thumb and discovers that, whilst her Father washed his hands of responsibility and stepped out of the way, her long line of ex-boyfriends has manipulated her emotionally so that she would voluntarily allow them to use her physically. If that eventuates, she's going to resent that her Dad didn't man up and protect her a little bit when she was too naive to protect herself.

Or...The girl who has been taught since day one that she is a person and not an object has never succumbed to manipulation.

Sure is a lot to infer from just a shirt