An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Made It To Malta

Feankie

Not boasting, but I though I'd let you know I got my final approval from the Sovereign Council in Rome on Sunday.  I am now officially a Dame in the  Sovereign Military Order of St. John  (SMOC), or more commonly called just the Order of Malta.  Although I am officially a member now, my formal Investiture will be in October in Washington,D.C. with Cardinal Wuerhl officiating.  I am SOOOO happy - and relieved.  The waiting was making me crazy as Rome moves on, well, Roman time!    

A little too slow for my taste :)

I hope to hear good news from those of you who are entering, applying,discerning - or praying of those who are in discernment.

May Our Lady of Philermos richly bless you.

Oops, not SMOC BUT SMOM.  Go figure ..... one post and I can't even get it right  :giveup:

Spem in alium

CONGRATULATIONS! How brilliant - especially with the news coming so close to the Feast of St John the Baptist!

When exactly is your investiture? I'm currently in my preparatory year (all being well, I'll be invested as a Donat mid-2015), so totally get the slowness!

Best wishes, consoeur! 

Thanks for your good wishes!  Spem, my Investiture will be on October 18th of this year..  An entire weekend of events is planned - luncheon for the new members, a cocktail reception, the Investiture Mass on Saturday with the Cardinal,  a reception with the Cardinal for the new members the night following Investiture (each person gets his/her photo taken with the Cardinal), and then a white tie dinner dance where special awards are also given out.  I believe there are 42 of us in the Federal Association being Invested this year.  I don't now how many are in the Class of 2015.

I hope your time of formation passes quickly.  The actual service projects with the poor/sick were wonderful (and ongoing, I might add) but waiting for the paperwork to go first to my Regional Hospitillar, then to the Federal Association Board in Washington, D.C., and then ion to the Sovereign Council in Rome was the worst.

The next thing I'm looking forward to is receiving my cape from the shop in Montreal where they are tailored.

Lilllabettt

My idea of the Order of Malta is that it is mostly composed of very well-to-do people. Is that impression correct?

Spem in alium

FC, that sounds so wonderful! 42 is a good number, and I hope you enjoy all the events! Time's flown by. Our investiture will take place in July next year, so I still have time to get the paperwork done, though issues with my diocese (as in, we don't have a bishop) have made signing the references a little tricky. 

What kind of work is your Association involved with? And have you been to Lourdes yet?

My idea of the Order of Malta is that it is mostly composed of very well-to-do people. Is that impression correct?

As far as I am aware, membership is by invitation only, and extended to committed Catholics who generally have demonstrated success in their field. In my own Association, most of the members I've encountered are very well-respected professionals, so it could be easy and understandable to form that impression. I do know some people who have been dissuaded by the fact that the majority of members have a professional background, and some who see the Order as a kind of closed, "elitist" group.
It is also possible for younger people (or those who cannot pay the usual amount of passage money) to be invested as a Donat, which is what I am hoping to do. It is somewhat daunting for me though as I am in the company of people who have prominent public reputations, and as someone who is not yet established, at times I do feel inadequate. But at the same time I've made incredible connections and friendships and feel quite blessed to be journeying with the Order.  

What kind of work is your Association involved with? And have you been to Lourdes yet?

Our group in Milwaukee is a "sub-set" (best descriptor I can think of) of the Chicago region.  Milwaukee supports and works at the Cathedral Center, which is temporary housing for displaced women, women with children, and families.  We do dinner for these guests.  Also, we contact every parish in the Arch to ask parishioners to donate any kind of used medical equipment they have.  We collect it, take it to a storage facility that has been donated to us, and ship it to the Medical Mission Sisters for their use.  We are also considering other service projects now that there will be 4 more of us.  We also sponsor/arrange a day of reflection for members,spouses and their guests once in the summer and once during Lent.

I also work at the Chicago region's soup kitchen once a month as well as helping with the medical missionary work  there.  We also go once a quarter to help rebuild/retrofit a home in the inner city of Chicago.  Chicago has members in both the Federal and American Associations, and we do a joint Mass and dinner with  Cardinal George to celebrate the Feast of St. John the Baptist.  There are also various days of reflection in Chicago as well as the semi-annual retreat (which will be held this fall at Mundelein Seminary).  We re required to make our first trip to Lourdes within 3 years of Investiture, so I am planning on going this coming spring.

Yes, there is an extensive "vetting process" that one goes through involving one's work with the poor and the sick, and in the defense of the Faith (which are our 2 main objectives). 

And yes, you must be invited to join.  And yes, it is not inexpensive.  But our Passage Fee (a holdover term from when religious pilgrims used to pass though the Holy Land with protection/comfort/hospitality from the Knights of Malta) goes to support the Order's hospitals/projects both in the United States and abroad.

If you look at the roster of Knights and Dames in the SMOM, you will find judges, Senators, doctors, lawyers, dentists, professors , etc.  But you will also find everyday committed Catholics who have demonstrated their commitment to the sick/poor; wwho support and defend the Mageisterium; and who work for the good of their local parishes.  

We do not have Donats in the United States, but younger people do pay a lesser Passage Fee.  One is invested as a Dame or Knight of Magisterial Grace. If, after 5 years, one wishes to go deeper with their spirituality in the Order, they may apply to become a Dame or Knight of Obedience.  This requires as least one ore year of specified formation plus individual retreats and specially formulated service projects.  After they have completed their formation they make the Promise of Obedience with witnesses and in the presence of one of our Magisterial Chaplains.

Hopes this helps!

veritasluxmea

Congratulations!  :woot: Praying for you as continue to follow your vocation  :nun3:

I do too!  But it's a week full of work as each Knight or Dame is assigned a malade to take care of during the entire week (if they need specific medical care, we have doctors and nurses with us as well) --processions, baths, Masses, meals, etc.  It's a lot of walking, pushing, lifting, laughing, crying, sharing, and praying.  Their families and/or other caregivers care for them at night.  From what I understand, we do get away for a little free time in the mountains.  The sign-up to go is on a first-come first-served basis, and many of the Knights and Dames I know personally go every year, so space is always limited.