An Old School Catholic Message Board

Agony In The Garden

ithinkjesusiscool

ithinkjesusiscool

Pax!
Is it ok to use psychology to explain what the human nature experienced in the garden of Gethsemane?

I think it's fine to seek to understand what Jesus' human mind experienced, just as we can use medical knowledge to show what Jesus' human body experienced in crucifixion.

Spem in alium

I think it's fine to seek to understand what Jesus' human mind experienced, just as we can use medical knowledge to show what Jesus' human body experienced in crucifixion.

Agreed. I think using psychological and medical knowledge can actually help us to understand Jesus' agony in a deep way.

ithinkjesusiscool

I would answer yes but tell you that modern psychology theories can be really crazy. I wouldn't dare ask Freud about Jesus!

Edited by ithinkjesusiscool

Credo in Deum

I personally do not believe you can analyze the sufferings of Christ through this means.  The Passion of Christ is a mystery.

Nihil Obstat

I personally do not believe you can analyze the sufferings of Christ through this means.  The Passion of Christ is a mystery.

I agree. The fact that Christ perfectly united His human and divine natures means that psychology is essentially useless in better understanding Him. We can understand Jesus Christ only in Faith.

ithinkjesusiscool

I agree. The fact that Christ perfectly united His human and divine natures means that psychology is essentially useless in better understanding Him. We can understand Jesus Christ only in Faith.

Theologian, shut up...everything's a mystery! Sounds kinda sad.

Credo in Deum

Theologian, shut up...everything's a mystery! Sounds kinda sad.

Mysteries are not sad, nor are they anything to feel ashamed of.  Mysteries are constantly a part of our life.  This idea that we can know all things and understand all things - or that we should be able to-, is a temptation that goes as far back as our first parents.   This kind of war on mystery has not gotten better with the advancement of technology.  It's only fitting that Apple's logo is an apple with a bite taken out of it. 

ithinkjesusiscool

A mystery in a theological sense is different from a Ronald Knox type mystery.

???

ithinkjesusiscool

What?

you wrote something abour Ronald Know and I didn't understand it

Nihil Obstat

you wrote something abour Ronald Know and I didn't understand it

Ronald Knox, one of the key authors in the Golden Age of Detective Fiction. Also the sole translator of the Knox Bible, which is considered an exceptional piece of work.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

A mystery is an answer that needs to be sought. Jesus "Seek and you will find, knock and the door will be opened." Use what ever tools are necessary to find the answer, as long as there not contrary to faith or are demonic. And faith demands we use all human and divine tools. :P

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye