An Old School Catholic Message Board

Freedom Of Religion In The Usa Should Not Involve Freedom To *fully* P

dairygirl4u2c

engaged in this debate elsewhere. what are your thoughts?

---------

freedom of religion in the USA should not involve freedom to *fully* practice old testament judiasm

the USA is known to be a religiously tolerant society. but, old testament judiasm permits or requires things that go against our commonly accept values and laws.

examples. in the old testament, people are to be put to death for what many would consider trivial moral infractions, slavery is often permitted or directed, women are treated as property, a woman raped can be forced to marry her rapist.
to name a few.

it's not the point of the debate. but that a country as tolerant as the USA would not and should not allow it to be fully practiced, says a lot about the religion.

ha! each of your threads seem to get more crazy than the last. Do you have some problem as to why you keep using Judaism, and refering back to what OT Jews supposedly did. You are aware no Orthodox Jew, anywhere, is seeking to do the things you're saying.  I find your posts and simplifications all a bit grating.

ha! each of your threads seem to get more crazy than the last. Do you have some problem as to why you keep using Judaism, and refering back to what OT Jews supposedly did. You are aware no Orthodox Jew, anywhere, is seeking to do the things you're saying. I find your posts and simplifications all a bit grating.

That screen name has been banned a few times, and now you know why.

I think the difficulty is that liberty is the right to do something (and/or freedom from coercion to do something.)  It never meant the right to something, though that is how it is now being interpreted by some elements.  Ironically, this progressive understanding of a "right" actually undermines liberties since it requires the coercion of others, in violation of their rights. 

Very true.  It's a Marxist understanding of rights.

It seems that once something is declared a "right," such a thing is not simply to be tolerated, but it is demanded that others actively support or subsidize it.

Very true.  It's a Marxist understanding of rights.

It seems that once something is declared a "right," such a thing is not simply to be tolerated, but it is demanded that others actively support or subsidize it.

Social liberalism advanced it, not so much Marxism. Blame John Stuart Mill and friends, not Marx.

dairygirl4u2c

there may be no jews who seek to do what they did in the old testament, but that is beside the point. it's at best an academic note. i think it's clear what i intend to argue about restricting is judiasm as it was practiced in the OT.