An Old School Catholic Message Board

Syria.

maximillion

maximillion

I am amazed at the number of threads that seem to me to be asking questions that well, TBH seem to me to be a bit pointless when there are so many real problems out there. So, here's mine. Not that I wanted the biggest one or anything.

What do you think should happen re the civil war in Syria? PLEASE STAY CIVIL TO EACH OTHER in your responses.

I have pondered this long and hard....and can't decide even for myself what I think should happen.

Some Syrians are saying there should be/should have been more involvement by 'the West'.

Should we be taking action? What sort of action and who should take it and why?

Is there anything we can do other than pray?

Nihil Obstat

I think it is dangerous at best to get into a mindset where "the west" is responsible for solving all major problems everywhere in the world no matter what. The 'west' has proven itself relatively incompetent when it comes to moral, prudent international policy. There have been successes too, of course, but many many failures. 

CatherineM

The Lebanese Civil War went for 15 years, Burundi went 12, and I think Somali has been going since the 90's.  Lots of people have civil wars.  It's not our job to fix everyone.  When we went into Iraq, as an example, we robbed them of something special.  We prevented them from having a George Washington or Thomas Jefferson.  When a people come together to throw off a yoke, that collaberation can be built on.  We rescued them from being able to work things out for themselves.  It's like preventing your kids from ever falling and skinning their knees. 

Credo in Deum

We prevented them from having a George Washington or Thomas Jefferson.  When a people come together to throw off a yoke, that collaberation can be built on.  We rescued them from being able to work things out for themselves.  It's like preventing your kids from ever falling and skinning their knees. 

Yes, hypocrite, rich, slave owning gentlemen are the cornerstone of every great nation.  It is a shame we deprived them of being able to have such legends. 

Nihil Obstat

Yes, hypocrite, rich, slave owning gentlemen are the cornerstone of every great nation.  It is a shame we deprived them of being able to have such legends. 

ORRRRRRR.........

hero-of-canton.jpg

CatherineM

Yes, hypocrite, rich, slave owning gentlemen are the cornerstone of every great nation. It is a shame we deprived them of being able to have such legends.

My ancestors owned slaves too. As did many of the first Christian martyrs.

Lilllabettt

Everything people say to justify the west staying on the sidelines in Syria is a word-for-word rehash of what people said to justify the west staying on the sidelines during the Rwandan civil war (i.e., genocide). People around the world still roundly shame the west for its inaction - and we are ashamed. Bill Clinton called it the single biggest regret of his administration.

It's nice to think the guy on top isn't responsible for fixing everything - nice as long as you are the one sitting on top.  I am not referring to our Canadian or British friends. The situation is such that conventional warfare does not occur on planet earth unless the American government chooses to allow it. It's very instructive to look at recent history and consider the commonalities and differences between the wars that were allowed and those we forbade. Some analysts suggest that the Pax Americana is only ever extended permanently to white people. Others suggest its the presence of democratic institutions. Others say the deciding factor is the proportion of the civilian population that wears blue jeans.  

Kind of pathetic, if you ask me. 

Credo in Deum

My ancestors owned slaves too. As did many of the first Christian martyrs.

Well if they feel left out and you have their names, then I can always post another revised quote to include them. 

Yes, hypocrite, rich, slave owning gentlemen are the cornerstone of every great nation. It is a shame we deprived them of being able to have such legends.

You should read more history along with the Catholic history.
Slavery was an accepted norm and economic reality of the day. Many were very troubled with it, but cooluld only do so much at the time. God himself only has the imperfect hypocritical people the day to administer and lead the Church. La sigh.

Credo in Deum

Slavery was an accepted norm and economic reality of the day. Many were very troubled with it, but cooluld only do so much at the time. God himself only has the imperfect hypocritical people the day to administer and lead the Church. La sigh.

nicholas-cage-you-dont-say.gif

CatherineM

Don't feed the trolls.

CatholicsAreKewl

The Lebanese Civil War went for 15 years, Burundi went 12, and I think Somali has been going since the 90's. Lots of people have civil wars. It's not our job to fix everyone. When we went into Iraq, as an example, we robbed them of something special. We prevented them from having a George Washington or Thomas Jefferson. When a people come together to throw off a yoke, that collaberation can be built on. We rescued them from being able to work things out for themselves. It's like preventing your kids from ever falling and skinning their knees.

You bring up a good point. It's too complicated to know what to do in this situation. Edited by CatholicsAreKewl

Nihil Obstat

Everything people say to justify the west staying on the sidelines in Syria is a word-for-word rehash of what people said to justify the west staying on the sidelines during the Rwandan civil war (i.e., genocide). People around the world still roundly shame the west for its inaction - and we are ashamed. Bill Clinton called it the single biggest regret of his administration.

It's nice to think the guy on top isn't responsible for fixing everything - nice as long as you are the one sitting on top.  I am not referring to our Canadian or British friends. The situation is such that conventional warfare does not occur on planet earth unless the American government chooses to allow it. It's very instructive to look at recent history and consider the commonalities and differences between the wars that were allowed and those we forbade. Some analysts suggest that the Pax Americana is only ever extended permanently to white people. Others suggest its the presence of democratic institutions. Others say the deciding factor is the proportion of the civilian population that wears blue jeans.  

Kind of pathetic, if you ask me. 

Were you planning on explaining why the US should go conduct a war in Syria, or was this post just to complain that some people do not agree with you, and to call them pathetic for it?

Hna.Caridad

I am amazed at the number of threads that seem to me to be asking questions that well, TBH seem to me to be a bit pointless when there are so many real problems out there. So, here's mine. Not that I wanted the biggest one or anything.

What do you think should happen re the civil war in Syria? PLEASE STAY CIVIL TO EACH OTHER in your responses.

I have pondered this long and hard....and can't decide even for myself what I think should happen.

Some Syrians are saying there should be/should have been more involvement by 'the West'.

Should we be taking action? What sort of action and who should take it and why?

Is there anything we can do other than pray?

Just bumped a thread for you regarding this over in Open Mic.

Regarding your question, "Is there anything we can do other than pray?" 

Please do continue to pray about this situation! 

Also, it might be helpful to do a bit of research regarding Syria:  its history, the many different peoples & cultures that have traditionally lived in Syria, the various armed groups currently fighting for control/power in the country (who would benefit & who would lose if any one of them were to "win" the war?).  

It would be helpful to research previous military interventions in the Middle East & to look into the question of "what does a Middle Eastern country typically look like 10, 20, 30, 40, or 50 years after a U.S. military intervention? (I'm presuming that you're referring to the U.S. when you refer to "the West", since I'm not aware of any Western country that has done a recent military intervention without the support or even urging of the U.S.) 

Has life improved for religious minorities in these countries?  Has life improved for women in these countries?  Has life improved for children in these countries?  Has life improved for prisoners in these countries?  I think it was JPII (though I can't source the quote), who said, "A society shall be judged on the basis of how it treats its weakest members."  Therefore, it's especially important to pay attention to whether or not life has improved for the weakest members of any given society. 

Has democracy truly arrived in any of these countries or has one demagogue simply been replaced by another?

As far as a more tangible way to make a difference/help out:  organizations working with Syrian refugees are in desperate need of financial support.  Catholic Relief Services comes to mind immediately, as they are serving Syrian refugees in both Lebanon & Jordan.  Their website:

www.crs.org

I'm sure there are others, and I don't have the time right now to look them up.

I hope this was helpful.