An Old School Catholic Message Board

Will Transhumanism Be The Next Moral Divide?

polskieserce

polskieserce

There is a new intellectual movement out there which aims to change humans through genetic engineering and cybernetic enhancements.  When I read the wikipedia article about this 2 years ago and did some research, it seems like this is the next bad idea after communism, abortion, and out of control resource consumption.  What do you think?  Will this be some minor fringe movement that gets barely any attention or will it be another great dividing issue?

I really don't know how it's that different than what we have now, other than being somewhat different from a technological standpoint.

Humans have always been very good at denying who they are, who they were made by, and Him whom they are meant to be united with. It's our ancestral sin. All of us do it at some point or another.

Transhumanism would just be another iteration of the not-terribly-new idea that we are somehow not what we actually are.

polskieserce

I really don't know how it's that different than what we have now, other than being somewhat different from a technological standpoint.

Humans have always been very good at denying who they are, who they were made by, and Him whom they are meant to be united with. It's our ancestral sin. All of us do it at some point or another.

Transhumanism would just be another iteration of the not-terribly-new idea that we are somehow not what we actually are.

Transhumanism would be going much further because it would essentially involve people playing god, turning certain members of the human species into something else, having sexless reproduction, etc.  If it gets traction, it could get to the point where employers require employees to have certain cybernetic/genetic intellectual enhancements to be considered for a job.  People would basically have to decide between leaving the species or becoming the modernized version of the amish.

Transhumanism would be going much further because it would essentially involve people playing god, turning certain members of the human species into something else, having sexless reproduction, etc.  If it gets traction, it could get to the point where employers require employees to have certain cybernetic/genetic intellectual enhancements to be considered for a job.  People would basically have to decide between leaving the species or becoming the modernized version of the amish.

Not really. People play god already. Sex selective abortions, in-vitro fertilization. Revenge, murder, war. Engineering new ways to kill and maim.

That said, the soul coupled with a physical body is what makes us human. Our "species" is not so fragile that a man who has had his body modified is no longer human. How far does one have to go to cease being human? I am prepared to speculate that once conceived, a human cannot become something other than human, no matter what is done to him, or he does to himself. Man cannot fundamentally change his nature, though he may rail against it. Anything the transhumanists do, no matter how horrifying, would not make them un-human. Even in death, the human soul is conserved.

They can say it all they want, but all the transhumanists are doing is pretending that what amounts to an advanced whole-body prosthesis is somehow going to make them something other than an ordinary human.

truthfinder

Doesn't transhumanism wish to essentially end death - seeing dying as the enemy of human lives? 

polskieserce

Doesn't transhumanism wish to essentially end death - seeing dying as the enemy of human lives? 

That is one of the goals.  Another goal is to "improve the human condition".  Essentially they want to come up with solutions for all perceived human shortcomings.

Nihil Obstat

Broadly speaking, there are some issues that are considered part of 'transhumanism' that I do not consider morally problematic. At the same time, I personally have found it difficult to draw a logical distinction between the aspects I find relatively uncontroversial, and the extremes of the ideology that my prima facie reaction is to characterize as immoral. For instance, we tend to find nothing wrong with using technology to cure diseases, assuming the technology on its own is not morally wrong. But a lot of us might be uncomfortable with the concept of radical life extension through drugs or other technologies. I find differences in degree, but I have trouble finding major differences in the fundamentals.

That causes me to question whether or not this is one of those technological issues that looks from our perspective to be enormously presumptuous as a species, but might be accepted as perfectly uncontroversial in 100-200 years.

I have very mixed feelings on the whole topic. Essentially a gut reaction against the ideology, but logically I have found my gut reaction to be based largely on shaky ground. My solution right now is to reserve judgement, and assess specific developments as they present themselves.

Broadly speaking, there are some issues that are considered part of 'transhumanism' that I do not consider morally problematic. At the same time, I personally have found it difficult to draw a logical distinction between the aspects I find relatively uncontroversial, and the extremes of the ideology that my prima facie reaction is to characterize as immoral. For instance, we tend to find nothing wrong with using technology to cure diseases, assuming the technology on its own is not morally wrong. But a lot of us might be uncomfortable with the concept of radical life extension through drugs or other technologies. I find differences in degree, but I have trouble finding major differences in the fundamentals.

That causes me to question whether or not this is one of those technological issues that looks from our perspective to be enormously presumptuous as a species, but might be accepted as perfectly uncontroversial in 100-200 years.

I have very mixed feelings on the whole topic. Essentially a gut reaction against the ideology, but logically I have found my gut reaction to be based largely on shaky ground. My solution right now is to reserve judgement, and assess specific developments as they present themselves.

Yeah, I had pondered that longevity of life thing before. I personally believe it would be very inconvenient to live for, say, 200 years, but I don't know why, if the technology became common and normative in medical circles, that we couldn't use it. Already the average human life span in the US is close to double what it was even a century ago, and we don't even blink at this.

Cybernetics will just provide a full body prosthesis. We accept prosthesis now. Now, what would be morally problematic, imo, would be the intentional mutilation of your body in order to have a prosthetic, that to me seems like it would be morally problematic. That said, we do frequently use technological devices to improve bodily functions. I wear glasses. People have false teeth. All designed to shore up and support the human body in spite of its defects. But I think the key thing to notice there is that these are in response to existing defects. I wouldn't consider "possibility of death after 80 years" to be a defect. It's more of a feature. ;)

Nihil Obstat

The defect versus enhancement is an interesting angle to be explored. Obviously fixing defects is moral, all things being equal. But a bit of reflection indicates that straight enhancement is at least not always immoral. For instance, the use of caffeine as a stimulant. Would it be wrong to implant a small chip in your brain, assuming the procedure is safe and there are no dangerous side effects, that would increase your mathematical ability, or your speaking ability? What about some small machine that would allow your heart to function more effectively? Some people are uncomfortable with those, but it is not clear to me that it would be wrong.

Mutilation is an important aspect. I am entirely willing to agree that intentionally removing healthy body parts in order to accommodate enhancements would be wrong. But if it is simply a matter of adding enhancements to healthy bodies... Tough one, for sure.

KnightofChrist

Nothing to be worried over guys, the killer robots will destroy the human race before it has the chance to become 'transhuman'. 

This has all happened before, it will all happen again. [attachment=3277:cylonanime01.gif]

Nihil Obstat

Nothing to be worried over guys, the killer robots will destroy the human race before it has the chance to become 'transhuman'. 

This has all happened before, it will all happen again. attachicon.gifcylonanime01.gif

Whoa. I must have missed that chapter in my history book.

Benedictus

I think it would happen slowly. Not sure they'd really be a massive upstep all at once to cause a moral divide. The first advances are likely to be medical or health related. I doubt many people will reject these if they will give them a reasonable or improved quality of life.

Credo in Deum

I'm sure we will see it on Facebook's massive list of genders to choose from, sometime soon in the near future.

Agender
Androgyne
Androgynous
Bigender
Cis
Cisgender
Cis Female
Cis Male
Cis Man
Cis Woman
Cisgender Female
Cisgender Male
Cisgender Man
Cisgender Woman
Female to Male
FTM
Gender Fluid
Gender Nonconforming
Gender Questioning
Gender Variant
Genderqueer
Intersex
Male to Female
MTF
Neither
Neutrois
Non-Binary
Other
Pangender
Trans
Trans*
Trans Female
Trans* Female
Trans Male
Trans* Male
Trans Man
Trans* Man
Trans Person
Trans* Person
Trans Woman
Trans* Woman
Transfeminine
Transgender
Transgender Female
Transgender Male
Transgender Man
Transgender Person
Transgender Woman
Transmasculine
Transsexual
Transsexual Female
Transsexual Male
Transsexual Man
Transsexual Person
Transsexual Woman

Benedictus

That's hardly new Credo, not that they have anything to do with transhumanism per se. Facebook wasn't exactly a trend setter on those category points. If anything they were late. I think I studied those terms when I was about twelve or thirteen at school. That's over twenty years ago.