An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cloister Life

To Jesus Through Mary

To Jesus Through Mary

Hello everyone!

It has been a very long time. Today I am not posting for myself (I am getting married in less than a month!), but for the mother of a friend who is entering the cloistered life. She is struggling with her daughter's vocation. I am looking for some helpful resources on the cloistered life and the value of it. Does anyone have any ideas?

TJTM

OnlySunshine

http://www.cloisteredlife.com/

This website has a few "A Day Within the Walls" journals which help the reader understand what the nuns and monks do on a daily basis.  It really helped me understand.

BTW, I had no idea you're engaged!  CONGRATULATIONS!!!!  :)

To Jesus Through Mary

Thanks MM. Yeah, my life has taken some crazy-awesome turns in the last year.

It's good to see you back!   I know there are a number of 'nun moms' on Phatmass (lurking, so to speak) who would be open to connecting with someone ... And I will pray for your friends.    Stay in touch!  When is the big day (so we can pray).... ?

Edited by AnneLine

To Jesus Through Mary

Thanks AL. Miss you lady! The big day is June 21! Thank you for your prayers.

TheresaThoma

Thanks AL. Miss you lady! The big day is June 21! Thank you for your prayers.

June 21st as in this June 21st?

I would be happy and very accepting and supportive of my daughter's vocation! I think it's the prospect of not having grandchildren that makes it a issue of entering!

One of my daughters is a cloistered Carmelite, if she wants to write me.  I could add some resources, but basically she's just dealing with a temptation and not knowing exactly what her feelings are, it's hard to pin down what would help.  She needs to talk it out with a religious or someone who understands religious life; coming to terms with it is an ongoing process.   It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with resisting the child's vocation, although it may look like that.  Having a child who is a religious is it's own little vocation, with it's own set of temptations and trials. 

Edited by andibc