An Old School Catholic Message Board

Runaway Train Hypothetical

dairygirl4u2c

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Credo in Deum

E) I free the hundred and take their place on the track. One of the hundred reaches the lever in time to send the runaway train in my direction. I then smile and rejoice that I'm Catholic and that Christ has given me the grace to lay down my life for my neighbor and to drink death like it's water.

After I die I immediately thank God for His mercy and then proceed to celebrate my heavenly birthday with God, Blessed Momma, and the communion of saints.

Hypothetical flawless victory!

blazeingstar

That's not even ends and means.  Ends and means would be that in pulling the lever you kill a person on the spot, but save the hundreds.

In your scenario, it would be far better to direct the train to the track with a single person because there is a far greater chance that one person can be rescued than 100.

Deciding between one life and 100 lives is a value proposition.  If that one life was your only child and living relative and the rest of your family was killed and the 100 people were strangers that makes it interesting.

Edited by blazeingstar

Benedictus

That's not even ends and means.  Ends and means would be that in pulling the lever you kill a person on the spot, but save the hundreds.

In your scenario, it would be far better to direct the train to the track with a single person because there is a far greater chance that one person can be rescued than 100.

Deciding between one life and 100 lives is a value proposition.  If that one life was your only child and living relative and the rest of your family was killed and the 100 people were strangers that makes it interesting.

What if we kill you because we want your organs to save 5 or 6 other peoples lives? That's value proportion as well. :blues: