An Old School Catholic Message Board

Runaway Train Hypothetical

dairygirl4u2c

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Norseman82

Before I can make a moral decision, I need more information. 

Who are the people tied to the train tracks? Are any of them the OP? On which track is she tied? 

That reminds me of the old riddles in which you were in a room with two bad people (such as Hitler and Stalin) and someone gave you a gun with one bullet with which you couls shoot one of them, and you were asked "whom would you shoot"? 

And the most popular answer would be "the person who gave you only one bullet".

Nihil Obstat

That reminds me of the old riddles in which you were in a room with two bad people (such as Hitler and Stalin) and someone gave you a gun with one bullet with which you couls shoot one of them, and you were asked "whom would you shoot"?

And the most popular answer would be "the person who gave you only one bullet".

I would shoot Toby twice.

Benedictus

A common Moral Philosophy class example -  it's dealt with in this lecture http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBdfcR-8hEY

Aww, come on. That is almost an hour long. What's the answer?

Lol. The premise is just a false dilemma, giving just an A or B choice. It's a useful tool in exploring and discussing ethical ideas or how to think reasonably, but there isn't really a "right answer".

Benedictus

Lol. The premise is just a false dilemma, giving just an A or B choice. It's a useful tool in exploring and discussing ethical ideas or how to think reasonably, but there isn't really a "right answer".

So would the Catholic church, moral theologians and others to boot, say there are no right answers to such situations? If the church can proclaim what's moral on lots of other things, such as contraception, then I'm sure it can on this. Our rational self should, if working correctly, conform to Gods ultimate will right? Sure, the situation is a fake one but the same processes (and fall outs) have to be addressed fairly often in various areas.

Aww, come on.  That is almost an hour long.  What's the answer?

Nevermind - you can tell us what the Catholic answer is now :smile4:

Nevermind - you can tell us what the Catholic answer is now :smile4:

I chose the first answer in the poll, so clearly that is the Catholic answer.  :hehe2:

So would the Catholic church, moral theologians and others to boot, say there are no right answers to such situations? If the church can proclaim what's moral on lots of other things, such as contraception, then I'm sure it can on this. Our rational self should, if working correctly, conform to Gods ultimate will right? Sure, the situation is a fake one but the same processes (and fall outs) have to be addressed fairly often in various areas.

The Church would provide guiding principles to consider when evaluating your choices. No, the Church cannot give an absolute correct answer because since it's hypothetical, you can't know all the factors to consider. Catholic principles can be identified. Is it better or allowable to kill one to save a larger number? Is it permissible to make that choice? How certain can you be iof the outcomes? How would that answer relate to assassinating a leader of an aggressive nation? Nothing in human affairs is a simple A o B choice.

Benedictus

The Church would provide guiding principles to consider when evaluating your choices. No, the Church cannot give an absolute correct answer because since it's hypothetical, you can't know all the factors to consider. Catholic principles can be identified. Is it better or allowable to kill one to save a larger number? Is it permissible to make that choice? How certain can you be iof the outcomes? How would that answer relate to assassinating a leader of an aggressive nation? Nothing in human affairs is a simple A o B choice.

But you don't always have all the information or time to sit and ponder these things. Sure if you're sitting on a medical ethics committee you could. But if you're in a situation that requires a snap decision then those extra facts aren't always available. You have to go on the information you've got and then the consequences are defended based on the urgency of the situation that required that action. It's clear, at least to me, that the issue is whether an individual would, as a basic principle, change the course of an event so one person dies in order to save a larger number from the same fate. If someone is saying they need more information then I guess the answer is they would do so if the conditions suited them (either they valued the individual or group more for whatever secondary reason), otherwise they wouldn't consider it.

Only the Sith deal in absolutes.

So the Catholic church doesn't? Or do you think them the same thing :saint: