An Old School Catholic Message Board

Does Anyone Know Of Any Communities In Australia?

Blue.Rose

Blue.Rose

The Missionaries of Charity also have a presence here (in Sydney at least, I'm not sure of other areas).

Oh wow I didn't know they were in Australia!

Blue.Rose

And I must admit I do feel drawn towards the Benedictines (at Jamberoo)
I was never really interested in being a cloistered nun because I thought I would never be able to cope but that is changing!

Spem in alium

Oh wow I didn't know they were in Australia!

Yep! Here's some info: http://www.stpeterssurryhills.org.au/our-parish/activities/missionaries-of-charity

And I must admit I do feel drawn towards the Benedictines (at Jamberoo)
I was never really interested in being a cloistered nun because I thought I would never be able to cope but that is changing!

They are great!  I've gotten to know Sr Hilda a little (she features prominently in their documentary); she's a real gem!

Edited by Spem in alium

Blue.Rose

I would be interested in doing a live in at Jamberoo I think. Although I might have to buy The Abbey DVD first to see what's it's like since all I've seen is the few preview clips of the series they have on the ABC website.

OnlySunshine

deoestgloria.com is an awesome resource for researching communities in the US and different areas - including Australia.  Here is the link:

http://www.deoestgloria.com/au.o.master.html

Here are some that I don't think have been posted here yet:

Sister Disciples of the Divine Master (Pauline charism similar to the Daughters of St. Paul)

Daughters of Divine Zeal

Poor Sisters of Nazareth

Sisters of the Order of St. Basil the Great

Carmelite Nuns of Goonellabah, NSW, Australia

Carmelite Nuns of Ormiston, QLD

Conventual Sisters of St. Dominic

Poor Clares of Bethlehem Monastery in Campbelltown, NSW

Poor Clare Collettines of Bendigo, Victoria

Daughters of Mary, Mother of the Church (primarily in the Phillippines but they have a mission house in Queensland)

Redemptoristine Nuns

There are some more Carmelite nuns available but the links on DEG are inactive so if you want to contact them, you have to use their mailing address.  ;)

Spem in alium

I would be interested in doing a live in at Jamberoo I think. Although I might have to buy The Abbey DVD first to see what's it's like since all I've seen is the few preview clips of the series they have on the ABC website.

You should definitely consider it. I've not been there myself, but from what I've heard it's a beautiful experience. 

Just want to share a bit of Sr Hilda's wisdom, I can't recommend her enough - she's so beautiful! If you can, definitely try and get in touch with her. She's very open to people visiting the Abbey and spending time with the Sisters.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nzwopapydI[/youtube]

Want2beChrist'sBride

There is also the Missionaries of the Gospel in Perth (new community) with Sr Bernadette Pike. There is also the Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate in Perth and the Leaven of the Immaculate Heart of Mary in Melbourne. 

I'm pleasantly surprised there are so many orders in Aus! It's really good because there are plenty to explore if the current order I'm discerning with doesn't work out.
:)

TheresaThoma

Another community that you might want to look into is the Community of St John. They don't have any communities in Australia (the Brothers are in Christchurch NZ) but I know they have been getting some interest from Australia and New Zealand.

Catherine Therese

I have recently joined the Cathedral Choir in my diocese and sang at Mass with the choir today for the first time... which meant that I was privileged to be there to witness the "Erection of an order of Diocesan Right" - the formal establishment of the newest religious order in Australia.

Habited sisters, having come out as missionary sisters from Vietnam some years ago, they have made the courageous and generous decision to commit to the service of the Church in the Parramatta Diocese. Having once left my homeland to live and discern religious life in another, I know first hand a little of what that has cost them and am incredibly moved by their generosity.

The order had a long name - something along the lines of the Sisters of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Queen of Heaven - but I haven't found a website for them yet. I will post it when it becomes available.

BarbTherese

Have the Tyburn Nuns in Riverstone N.S.W been mentioned?  Habited Benedictine nuns of Perpetual Adoration (also known as Adorers of The Sacred Heart of Montmartre)

AccountDeleted

I would love to know of some communities in Australia since I only know a few.
I'm drawn towards communities that wear habits to be honest but don't know of many that still do.
If anyone knows any I would be interested to know or feel free to private message me.

2.jpg

Vocation Directory 

http://www.catholicozvocations.org.au/Home/Catholic-Life/Vocation-Directory

CATHOLIC VOCATIONS
Archdiocese of Melbourne

slide2.jpg