An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cliven Bundy

PhuturePriest

This is false. I get notice in the mail about things my neighbors are putting on their property. Businesses give notice in advance about what and where their building to give the community time to weigh in. You really need to get out more if you think communities are just a collection of little islands.

That doesn't address what I said. Did you perhaps accidentally erase the part where you claim that building permits are designed to prevent real harm to the property of others, or to protect homesteaded rights?

That doesn't address what I said. Did you perhaps accidentally erase the part where you claim that building permits are designed to prevent real harm to the property of others, or to protect homesteaded rights?

Perhaps you need to get your eyes checked, because I did that. I'm not sure what you want. Edited by Vitamin

Non sequitur.

Building permits aren't based upon the real harm construction might inflict on other's property, or the infringement of homesteaded rights. 

Which of these words indicated that I claimed there was no notice provided to people, and that communities are "just little islands"?

Which of these words indicated that I claimed there was no notice provided to people, and that communities are "just little islands"?

Do you miss out on the parts where people object and at times when? Really dude, get out more.

Do you miss out on the parts where people object and at times when?

Are you just typing random words, now?

Are you just typing random words, now?

If you're asking why I didn't expelcity include those words I presumed you already knew people did that. Forgive me for underestimating your isolation.

If you're asking why I didn't expelcity include those words I presumed you already knew people did that. Forgive me for underestimating your isolation.

No, I'm not asking why you didn't "expelcity" include those words.

Is English your first language?

No, I'm not asking why you didn't "expelcity" include those words.

Is English your first language?

I blame my tablet.

If you already know everything I'm saying then what are you objecting to?

I blame my tablet.

If you already know everything I'm saying then what are you objecting to?

Oh dear.

havok579257

The same could be asked about you. Nobody ever objects to gazebos or new additions. Give me a break.

This is false. I get notice in the mail about things my neighbors are putting on their property. Businesses give notice in advance about what and where their building to give the community time to weigh in. You really need to get out more if you think communities are just a collection of little islands.

nobody objects to gazebo's?  do you live in a house in a neighborhood?  Its called home association and they dang well do complain about gazeboo's.  Others complain because your grass is to long.  Obviously you have no idea what home associations do.

The community does not own your property.  Is this a communal property?  Why should someone else who puts no money toward your property be able to deny you from building something on your property?  

HOA's usually operate through voluntary agreement. A deed restriction can be a lawful contract, and HOA's have arisen by agreement of the property owners. No government seeks consent of all the ruled. Suffrage was only recently granted to women, for instance, but the state always claimed a right to rule women. There is no level of government in the US that was established by consent of those to be ruled.

Uh....my point was that building permits exist.  

Which they do.  

As does land ownership.  

I can understand not liking the requirement to get a permit before you build a house, but I can also understand the desire to make sure houses that are built are up to code.  We can say that if someone builds a house that isn't structurally sound it's their own fault when it collapses and kills their family....but that's not the only possible reaction to that scenario.  Part of the reason for the permit is to make sure it passes the safety codes.  

Incidentally, that's why every attached garage you've ever walked through had a step to get up into the house.  You *could* trust that people would be smart enough not to run their car in the garage and let the poisonous exhaust fumes seep into the house.  OR you can build a step, creating a natural barrier for the heavier-than-air fumes.  That's one of the things they'll check for when you get a building permit to attach a garage to your house.  

All of this stuff varies state-to-state.  The south has a lot less zoning than the northeast.  *shrugs*  I realize that most of the land in Nevada is gov't land, so that's a different situation again.  Also, in the west, you're more likely to have separate land and water rights (as an example), so questions of 'who owns the land?' can be a bit complicated.  

I still think that courts rather than armed standoffs are the appropriate way to handle these types of disputes.  

Uh....my point was that building permits exist.  

Which they do.  

As does land ownership.  

I can understand not liking the requirement to get a permit before you build a house, but I can also understand the desire to make sure houses that are built are up to code.  We can say that if someone builds a house that isn't structurally sound it's their own fault when it collapses and kills their family....but that's not the only possible reaction to that scenario.  Part of the reason for the permit is to make sure it passes the safety codes.  

Incidentally, that's why every attached garage you've ever walked through had a step to get up into the house.  You *could* trust that people would be smart enough not to run their car in the garage and let the poisonous exhaust fumes seep into the house.  OR you can build a step, creating a natural barrier for the heavier-than-air fumes.  That's one of the things they'll check for when you get a building permit to attach a garage to your house.  

All of this stuff varies state-to-state.  The south has a lot less zoning than the northeast.  *shrugs*  I realize that most of the land in Nevada is gov't land, so that's a different situation again.  Also, in the west, you're more likely to have separate land and water rights (as an example), so questions of 'who owns the land?' can be a bit complicated.  

I still think that courts rather than armed standoffs are the appropriate way to handle these types of disputes.  

Without government, we would be unable to devise a way to not make a lethal sandwich. We'd be eating dirt and worms and not knowing why.

You know why people build structurally sound houses? Because they want to. Why were driveways in my neighborhood and in Sharpstown poured without reinforced concrete in spite of building codes? Evil wizards, perhaps?