An Old School Catholic Message Board

Twin Orders?

Kateri89

http://www.smiofbpmorrow.org/formation.html

Is this a legitimate religious order in line with the Church?  And if so, why are their habits almost exactly the same as the Missionaries of Charity?  When I first saw them, that's who I thought they were but I thought that the habit didn't look quite right.  I still can't figure out what's different about the habits but I've never seen anything quite like this.  It's not like different Dominican orders having similar white habits.  This habit is quite unique but apparently two-of-a-kind.

OnlySunshine

http://www.smiofbpmorrow.org/formation.html

Is this a legitimate religious order in line with the Church?  And if so, why are their habits almost exactly the same as the Missionaries of Charity?  When I first saw them, that's who I thought they were but I thought that the habit didn't look quite right.  I still can't figure out what's different about the habits but I've never seen anything quite like this.  It's not like different Dominican orders having similar white habits.  This habit is quite unique but apparently two-of-a-kind.

This order was actually using the sari habit first and Mother Teresa requested that she be able to use the same habit.

From the website:

On Sunday 20 April 1952 at 4:00 p.m. the first group of eight novices: Julia Narayan, Lena Puthussery, Margaret Cheriakakaramcherry, Teresina Gonsalves, Monica Das, Regina Biswas and Frances Honorine Edith Esper received the religious habit. (Memoirs p 103)

It consisted of a white sari edged with three blue bands, which was designed by the Founder after much consultation with the little group and several others. The ceremony was held in the new Cathedral of Krishnagar, enlarged and embellished by our Founder, and was a grand celebration, a day of great joy for our little congregation, just beginning. The civil leaders and other prominent people of the town also attended the ceremony.

It is interesting to note that in his generosity and magnanimity, when Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta, foundress of the Missionaries of Charity, approached him with the request if her congregation could also use the same kind of sari with three blue stripes for their habit, our Founder readily consented.

Yes, the founder is a Salesian bishop, so that's legit.  

And as was pointed out, the 'borrowing' went the other way!  :)