An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Sins Of Limbo.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

MAy the love of christ guide you all in truth.

I was talking to my local priest and was thinking along the lines that there are sins of limbo that are neither mortal or venial, somewhere in between and i asked father what to do about such a sin that is neither covered officially by the holy Eucharist nor in need of confession. He said that he didn't believe in limbo. Which led me just now to thinking as to whether these sins if they exist are covered by the confeitor which used to be omitted at every latin mass, well the extraordinary form anyway and as to if this is why the confeitor was omitted at every mass. So if limbo is somewhere between heaven and hell right? And also i had a previous parish priest say to me after i asked him does limbo exist he said " if limbo ever existed it still exists." So lets debate limbos existence, particularly the sins of limbo that are neither here nor there.

Onward christian souls.

God iz Good.

Jesus iz LORD!

P.s. Also i just found out the word Eucharist is capitalised in the U.S English dictionary but still Catholic isn't, how strange.

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

• 2 weeks later...
fides' Jack

I believe that Limbo exists, but I don't believe that there are any sins which do not qualify as either mortal or venial, for the very specific reason that part of the definition of a venial sin is any sin that's not mortal.

There are no "sins of Limbo" as you put it.  Let's not make morality so gray that there are no lines to be drawn anywhere...

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I also had another priest tell me he doesn't believe in limbo, so one priest no comment really yes or no, and one priest no, and fides yes. So fides bro what is the confeitor for which is neither the holy Eucharist that par tof it's purpose is to absolve venial sin and neither confession which absolves mortal sins?

Credo in Deum

Whether or not Limbo still exists is a theory.  A Catholic is free to believe Limbo still exists and they're free to believe it doesn't.  The only topic that I know if which sparks the questions of Limbo is; "Where do unbaptized infants go when they die?"

Here is a link to the Vatican regarding this:

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/cti_documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20070419_un-baptised-infants_en.html

LouisvilleFan

Sacrament of Confession forgives all sins: venial and mortal. As you probably know, it's a healthy practice to confess regularly, whether or not there is any mortal sin.

Your confusion is in thinking that Confession forgives only mortal sin -- it's the other way around: mortal sin is only forgiven in Confession. Venial sin is also forgiven in Confession, plus in a few other actions like the Confeitor and Holy Communion.

Limbo is a theory relating to unbaptized infants. It's a way of resolving the conflict between God's justice and mercy. Justice says anyone with original sin would be in hell; mercy says an infant is not at fault. There are no "limbo sins," just venial and mortal.

To me, it seems enough to pray for mercy upon those who die without Baptism.

fides' Jack

The idea of Limbo came about without having anything to do with unbaptized infants.  That's not its purpose.  Since we did not really know for sure what happened to unbaptized infants, it was extended as a possibility for them.

However, the Church teaches definitively that Limbo DID exist - or, what is called Limbo.  So as Catholics we have to believe in it.  Maybe it doesn't exist anymore, but it did before Christ died on the cross.

The idea of Limbo came about without having anything to do with unbaptized infants.  That's not its purpose.  Since we did not really know for sure what happened to unbaptized infants, it was extended as a possibility for them.

However, the Church teaches definitively that Limbo DID exist - or, what is called Limbo.  So as Catholics we have to believe in it.  Maybe it doesn't exist anymore, but it did before Christ died on the cross.

Are you talking about Limbo of the Fathers? That, I do believe in. There is another Limbo, Limbo of the Infants, and I don't really know if I believe in it. The fact that unbaptized infants cannot ever leave Limbo bothers me. It would be one thing if it was like their own purgatory, but it's not, and they are kind of stuck there. Even though Limbo is supposed to be nice, and Jesus and Mary visit sometimes...yeah, I just don't believe in it. 

fides' Jack

I've never heard of it referred to in that way, but I suppose we're talking about the same thing.

Good!  That makes me happy - the idea of Limbo as its spouted about lately is a pet peeve of mine.  It makes me glad to see that someone recognizes what Limbo was for - even if it's under a strange name (strange to me).

I've also never heard of anyone trying to distinguish between kinds of Limbo.  I suppose that doesn't really matter in the end.  Whether it's the same place or a different but similar place doesn't seem to make a difference to the basic idea.

My personal opinion, then, about Limbo of the Infants, as you call it, is the same as the Church's.  I don't know - but I'm open to the possibility.