An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discerning Vocation, And A Few Questions About Religious Life..

AugustineA

First, thanks for checking out my questions. There are alot of posts on this forum. I've been thinking about vocations lately, and for the first time in my life I'm considering religious life as a possibility. I was pondering on humility, and came to realize that many of the reasons I've never considered religious life were related to humility. If I enter religious life I can't have this. I can't have that. But if I empty myself out of all those I's, religious life becomes a thing, a real possibility. 

If you're still with me so far.. I have a few insecure rambling concerns, and of course they're related to attachment to things. I love books, and studying. I'm not sure I could ever give it up. I would really like to do doctoral work in law and English. Is it possible to pursue those endeavours in religious life? 

I think physical fitness is important. Are religious brothers given some time to exercise? I know it's a very broad question considering the different types of religious orders.

Okay, if you're still reading thus far, enjoy this amazing video. :]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4frzb-mre2Y

maximillion

Hi, you didn't say if you think you may be called to the cloister or to the active apostolate.

Which communities to consider will depend alot on this factor.

Benedictines (cloistered ) have a long tradition of study and of publishing theological based stuff (as well as themes of simplicity and hospitality).

Then there is the Order of Preachers who we know have as their aim contemplation and making known the fruits of that contemplation. (Cloistered and not).

Many Jesuits have Phd's and are renowned for their learning........

Maybe it would be useful to think about the sort of spiritual base you are attracted too and then look to see if study goes hand in hand?

By the way, well done for coming to this possibility and permitting His working in you, whatever the outcome.

Prayers for you as you discern.

Thank you Maximillion. I will keep you in my prayers as well tonight. You're right. I have more reading and thinking to do about this. I was reading on the difference between the cloister and apostolic religious life earlier on vocations.ca. I've always admired the Jesuits and Dominicans for their devout academic traditions, but also the Franciscans for their simple and beautiful spirituality. I don't want to rule out any vocation, but I think it's time to figure out how I'll serve the Church with my short time here.  

Almost any order will encourage you to develop your intellectual gifts. They don't usually limit your field of study, as long as you also take up the philosophy & theology degrees necessary to become a priest (assuming you and they want you to become a priest). I'm sure any order would be happy to have a lawyer in the order because everybody has to deal with the law to some extent or another. And there will always be a demand for English teachers, editors, and so forth. A Benedictine friend of mine just published another book of poetry, and there's another monk in his abbey who also publishes poetry.

I second Maximillion - the Jesuits, the Dominicans, and the Benedictines all have long standing intellectual traditions. So do the Franciscans - Bonaventure and a whole lot of other people. All four of those orders run high schools, colleges, and universities - any area of intellectual pursuit would be useful in any of those orders. There's also the Society of Mary, the Christian Brothers, and the Augustinians - they, too, run high schools and universities. The Trappists don't usually run schools, but they do publish.

Religious are encouraged to exercise and maintain their health. I do some work with a theological school. When they leave class, many of the students go to the gym. Many of the (ordered) profs ride bikes to school and that kind of thing. It may not be part of their theological tradition, but from a purely practical standpoint, they want their members healthy.

I would encourage you to get on lots of web sites and find the "Meet the Brothers" (or monks/friars/novices) link, whatever it might be called. Many, many of them have interesting backgrounds, gifts, and degrees. I know ordered religious who have flown C-130's for the Air Force, have degrees in computer engineering, sign language interpreting, biomedical engineering, and lots of other fields.

Go for it!

In terms of humility, I'd say give the rule of St Benedict a read (if you haven't already). I'd say the key is looking at the positives of humility -  how the attitude allows you to have a greater insight into your self, aquire freedom, trust and better relationships with other people (as well as God and yourself). The ego can really get in the way of knowing, and being, our true self in the light of God and the church. If cultivated correctly humility should allow us to get closer to God and neighbour.

In terms of intellectual development - it very much depends on what order you join and whether this is where God wants you. You could push to join an order that allows you to do advanced studies, but what if God doesn't want you there? God may decide this path wouldn't be the best for your soul, even if good for your brain! God wants us to go where we will be happy, but it can be a hard and unexpected road. 
It could be that your drive to do advanced studies is a sign, in part, that God wants to direct you into the right place. But it could also simply be you dominating what will, or should, happen in the future. I guess part of your discernment is working that out. But I think it's fair to say that whatever order or community you may join you can't tell them what you want to do and be guaranteed it will happen. You might be able to ask and say what interests you, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen in the way you desire it. They may well use your energy or interest in education for something else. So it's always worth bearing that in mind.

In terms of exercise -  I think nearly all communities and orders set time aside for exercise or recreation, but it may vary depending on where you are. In benedictine communities, as with trappists, they do some manual labour such as gardening, or something similar each day. I know a couple of places where monks also go on regular runs, or jogs, around the monastery. Others may encourage walks or gentle exercises. Some orders have gym equipment, or allow you time to attend the local gym. Once you are interested in a certain order or community you can ask them.

Thank you for the responses guys. Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately.. I'm beginning to see value in every religious order or vocation that I look at. And like you both say. There is opportunity to study and work towards a particular goal within religious life, but being careful and attendant to the will of God. Of course, prayer is necessary to go any further. I'm going to begin offering up extra attendances at Mass for vocations, both my own and other young local men and women, and of course all of you. Funny enough, a local Mass I attended posted just such a sign up sheet.  :)

One thing that struck me was proper form as regards age. I'm 25 now. Is that too late to consider religious life?

Edited by AugustineA

25 years of age definitely isn't too late to consider religious life. Some orders do have age restrictions, so it's worth keeping that in mind. But your age definitely isn't a serious case of a clock ticking. However, like the last poster said, discernment about your core vocation shouldn't be put off. Once you know whether you are called to marriage, the single state, or religious life (and similar) then you can then focus more seriously on where God maybe calling you (or to be with). If put off, life has a way of allowing you to float along without making a decision (and although this can turn out good in the end, it could have also have been time better spent).

TheresaThoma

Random thought/ question for you. Are you still in school or have you graduated? I know for myself for a long time I wanted to pursue an advanced degree while I am still in school. Now after being out for a few months I realize that that may not be what I want/where God is calling me. I think while we are in school being a student is our identity and our drive and focus can be on doing the best that we can (ie getting an advanced degree). Which isn't a bad thing however I think that we need to give ourselves time to develop our identity outside of being a student. That may provide some clarity.