An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discernment Advice From Fr. Bob Bedard

PhuturePriest

I suspect not, but you agree that we must guard against that, don't you? As far as I could see you were warning against people jumping into an order off the cuff, with which I agree, of course.

I think it would be a difficult situation to be unable to make a decision and I sympathize with anyone in that position, however I think that labeling them "perpetual discerners" is not constructive, charitable, nor likely accurate:

If people are "discerning" and completely unable to take any action, then they probably aren't really discerning or getting decent spiritual direction regarding discernment, in which case the problem isn't perpetual discernment, but lack of education on discernment. 

[...]

So regardless of whether people using this phrase do so with good intentions, I just don't think it's a responsible phrase to use.  It's hard enough to get instruction on discernment in today's church and given all the problems in prominent religious groups and seminaries recently, discerners have reason to be wary.  Given this environment I'd rather see education on discernment coming from our religious leaders instead of guilt trips.

'Labelling them' as such is very different to using such a phrase in a conversation specifically about religious vocation.

'Labelling them' as such is very different to using such a phrase in a conversation specifically about religious vocation.

Then maybe this more accurately reflects my opinion. 

I think it would be a difficult situation to be unable to make a decision and I sympathize with anyone in that position, however I think that labeling them "perpetual discerners" describing the behavior as "perpetual discernment" is not constructive, charitable, nor likely accurate:

If "you shouldn't discern forever, bla bla bla" was followed by "the doctors of the church are very clear on how to properly discern and make a decision and we'd be happy to go into that" then I wouldn't be so critical, but instead it's usually followed by "sometimes you just need to enter to find out."