An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Get Married

add

I did not notice (although I may have missed it) anyone mentioning marriage as a remedy for concupiscence. I think that is a good reason.

southern california guy

Although this feels like it's been taken off a pinterest board I see the point. With that said it should be "relationship" box not marriage box. If you get married without already knowing how much you're putting in or getting out you're going to have a bad time.

I don't really know what this means. It sort of reminds me of what the Mormon's say -- "It doesn't matter who you marry. A marriage is what you make of it". And that is some of the stupidist advice I have evwr heard!

It is like the question "What sort of activity makes for an enjoyable date?" I've found that the answer is that any activity is enjoyable with the right girl, and that basically no activity is enjoyable with the wrong girl.

I don't really know what this means. It sort of reminds me of what the Mormon's say -- "It doesn't matter who you marry. A marriage is what you make of it". And that is some of the stupidist advice I have evwr heard!

I think it is hyperbole, but there is a large element of truth to it.  A lot of what makes a marriage work is simply working at the marriage.

southern california guy

I think it is hyperbole, but there is a large element of truth to it. A lot of what makes a marriage work is simply working at the marriage.

Ok.. but please give some examples. This stuff is too vague.

There seems to be an idea that marriage is a matter of finding the right person and then one lives happily ever after.  That just isn't what marriage is like.  There will be one problem after another - finances, children (or lack thereof), jobs, etc.  There will be crises.  There will be emergencies.  There will be fights over serious matters and sometimes you just get on each other's nerves.  The most important thing to bring to a marriage is the determination to persevere.

southern california guy

There seems to be an idea that marriage is a matter of finding the right person and then one lives happily ever after. That just isn't what marriage is like. There will be one problem after another - finances, children (or lack thereof), jobs, etc. There will be crises. There will be emergencies. There will be fights over serious matters and sometimes you just get on each other's nerves. The most important thing to bring to a marriage is the determination to persevere.

That is true. But things become even more complicated when two very different people marry. Let's say she is an extrovert and she loves singing, the performing arts, and the big city. He on the other hand is a bit of an introvert. He loves gardening, works as a small farmer, and feels a little overwhelmed by the big city. He grew up in a big family and wants to have 3 or more kids. She was an only child and she wants to wait on kids. She has a Masters degree and would like him to sell the farm and move to the city where she can pursue a career. And she wants to wait on kids. She can earn twice as much money as he makes with his farm.

Should they get married?

Nihil Obstat

That is true. But things become even more complicated when two very different people marry. Let's say she is an extrovert and she loves singing, the performing arts, and the big city. He on the other hand is a bit of an introvert. He loves gardening, works as a small farmer, and feels a little overwhelmed by the big city. He grew up in a big family and wants to have 3 or more kids. She was an only child and she wants to wait on kids. She has a Masters degree and would like him to sell the farm and move to the city where she can pursue a career. And she wants to wait on kids. She can earn twice as much money as he makes with his farm.

Should they get married?

Did they?

Should they get married?

I would not advise them to get married, but if they were already married, they should work through these differences, not give up.

Credo in Deum

I did not notice (although I may have missed it) anyone mentioning marriage as a remedy for concupiscence. I think that is a good reason.

It depends on who you marry, if ya know what I mean. 

southern california guy

Did they?

Yes. I was thinking of a truck driver friends from southern Idaho. Ultimately they got divorced -- and he gave up farming and became a truck driver. They were both LDS. And they did have a couple kids before they got divorced.

southern california guy

I embelished a bit. My friend had lived and worked on a large ranch. They did not own the ranch. They had just lived in a house on the ranch. And they also grew cherries.

And I don't know if she had a Masters. He just said that she was a college graduate. And he said that they were just too different.

Honestly I am quite a bit different from my own wife. But I don't think that we have any differences of opinions in terms of raising kids.

As a newlywed with a son on the way I find myself considering my wife and childrens needs ahead of my own.

Edited by southern california guy

As a newlywed with a son on the way I find myself considering my wife and childrens needs ahead of my own.

Just now?

polskieserce

Here is another interesting perspective I found

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyCEkvkXwCc

Credo in Deum

Here is another interesting perspective I found

I'm sorry but what exactly is interesting about his perspective?