An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Get Married

add

Basilisa Marie

ugh, how do I block people on this site so I can't see thier posts?

You go into your user settings and find the "ignore" feature, and type their name in there. 

southern california guy

Something that I find curious is that many people divorce within a year of "marriage" -- even though they lived together for years.

I even had a friend at work who did not want to marry his girlfriend -- even though they had been living together for over 20 years and had two grown daughters -- because he had seen friends who had lived together before "marriage" get divorced a year or two after marriage.  In his words it was ".. working, why mess with it?"

So why does this happen?

Something that I find curious is that many people divorce within a year of "marriage" -- even though they lived together for years.

I even had a friend at work who did not want to marry his girlfriend -- even though they had been living together for over 20 years and had two grown daughters -- because he had seen friends who had lived together before "marriage" get divorced a year or two after marriage. In his words it was ".. working, why mess with it?"

So why does this happen?

Same reason people who have a baby and divorce quickly. The relationship is tanking and the couple think having a baby or buying a house together or finally getting married will fix the problem.

Getting married because of children instead of getting married for children is the crux of the problem
When I married 31 years ago, my young bride and I moved in together and got to know each other

I lost my beautiful wife a few years ago to cancer, I thoroughly enjoyed and loved every second of our time together.

We have three grown children, who have out starting their own lives now, away from me.

I feel sorry for unmarried couples don't know the joy of holy matrimony and a good relationship

But that's just me

Edited by add

Semper Catholic

Lol my two favorite prevalent themes in one thread:
1. Blaming women.
2. Things were better in the oldy times.

Every time we have a teenage marine come running to us saying he's thinking of getting married our immediate advice is to always 100% wait.

People used to get arrived out of necessity now it's not as big of an issue. Either way it's a good thing that people are waiting longer.

Lol my two favorite prevalent themes in one thread:
1. Blaming women.
2. Things were better in the oldy times.

Every time we have a teenage marine come running to us saying he's thinking of getting married our immediate advice is to always 100% wait.

People used to get arrived out of necessity now it's not as big of an issue. Either way it's a good thing that people are waiting longer.

What are you waiting for?

Semper Catholic

What are you waiting for?

I'm getting married this summer, but I'm also 26. There were times when I wanted to get married when is was in my early 20s. Looking back I'm glad I dodged that bullet.

I have come to a singular conclusion. If we all have ten children, it's likely that at least a few will end up ardent Catholics, and the others will likely be comfortable with Catholic culture. Therefore, everyone who isn't a monk or Priest out to get married and produce many babies.. 

Do y'all know that giving birth is equivalent in pain to getting 20 bones fractured at once.  Why did eve have to eat the fruit?!?! She couldn't have been THAT hungry!!!

Edited by Annie12

Anastasia13

Do y'all know that giving birth is equivalent in pain to getting 20 bones fractured at once.  Why did eve have to eat the fruit?!?! She couldn't have been THAT hungry!!!

At least it goes quickly.

Anastasia13

Getting married because of children instead of getting married for children is the crux of the problem
When I married 31 years ago, my young bride and I moved in together and got to know each other

I lost my beautiful wife a few years ago to cancer, I thoroughly enjoyed and loved every second of our time together.

We have three grown children, who have out starting their own lives now, away from me.

I feel sorry for unmarried couples don't know the joy of holy matrimony and a good relationship

But that's just me

Pray for us.

Do y'all know that giving birth is equivalent in pain to getting 20 bones fractured at once. Why did eve have to eat the fruit?!?! She couldn't have been THAT hungry!!!

As I've said before, Eve hadn't been created when Adam made his covenant with God. She wasn't an original party to the contract. Has I been her attorney, I'd have gotten her off on a lessor charge.

As I've said before, Eve hadn't been created when Adam made his covenant with God. She wasn't an original party to the contract. Has I been her attorney, I'd have gotten her off on a lessor charge.

Let me get this straight you want to argue with God?

Are you sure that's a good idea :whine: