An Old School Catholic Message Board

Earliest Christian Non-biblical Writings

Fidei Defensor

Fidei Defensor

I'm sure someone around here knows. What are the earliest known Christian writings that are NOT biblical writings? I'm curious about what the earliest Christians had to say. 

Several of them were considered for the bible, but in the end, they decided to end with the apostolic age.

Fidei Defensor

I'm just interested in reading what was going on from when the Apostles died and the more familiar times of the early Church in the 500s and onward

Well, if it's anything before the 500s you've got a HUGE chunk of stuff.  At http://newadvent.org/fathers/ you can find a large selection.  During my conversion to the Catholic faith from my evangelical upbringing, I tried to read a lot of pre-Nicene (325 A.D.) material.

Epistle of Clement (1st century)

The Didache (c. 100)

L e t t e r s of Ignatius of Antioch (c. 100)

The Shepherd of Hermas (1st or 2nd C)

Epistle of Barnabas (late 1st early 2nd C; Barnabas not generally thought to be author)

OK, so I'm having fun with this but it's taking waaaaay too much time.  Here's a better organized location for Church Fathers through the mid-3rd century:  http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/churchfathers.htmlEDIT: it seems someone got there before me!  NewAdvent has everything beyond that time including important figures such as Augustine, Jerome, Chysostom, Cyril of Jerusalem, Cyprian of Carthage, Ephrem, and many more.

However, I do recommend these especially from the earliest years:  Didache, Ignatius of Antioch's Letter to the Smyrneans, Justin Martyr's First Apology, Irenaeus of Lyon's Against Heresies. 

You might also enjoy the text of the Liturgy of St. James, which is considered to be the oldest liturgy in continuous use (at least since the late 4th century), except perhaps the ancient Roman Rite, but that's a matter for scholarly minds.  See if you can spot the ancient Hail Mary inside.

Edited by chrysostom

Basilisa Marie

Fun fact: The Shepherd of Hermas almost made it into the canon of the Bible, just like how Revelation almost didn't. :) 

Lots of good posts here. You'll probably end up discovering a rather wide rang of opinions. Tertullian, Origen, Clement(s), Anthony (for something more spiritual), Anthanasius, all sorts of people, saints and not. That period of Christian history is absolutely fascinating. :) 

The first epistle of Clement and/or the Didache. For sure. 

oops, Clement was already mentioned. So pretty much what others have said.)

Edited by AugustineA

I'm just interested in reading what was going on from when the Apostles died and the more familiar times of the early Church in the 500s and onward

Must-read book: "Pagans and Christians" by Robin Lane Fox:

http://www.amazon.com/Pagans-Christians-Robin-Lane-Fox/dp/0060628529

He gives a good "sociology" of the context in which Christianity came to be. And he gives a good overview, in particular, of authority in the church and how it developed, moving from a more charismatic orientation where martyrs and prophets held great authority and respect, to a more institutional and hierarchical system as the church developed a clearer identity and needed to keep things in order.

"Fox, a lecturer in Ancient History at Oxford, presents a detailed and scholarly account of Christianity and paganism prior to Constantine. He decribes pagan oracles, festivals, and cultic practices as they related to civic and community life in third-century Roman Empire; then, comparing these with Christian practices, he discusses the possible reasons for Christianity's ultimate triumph. Along the way, certain misconceptions are dispelled: Roman paganism was not dying out, as is sometimes supposed, nor was early Christianity primarily a religion of slaves. In fact, the Church had elements that made it unexpectedly attractive to all classes. The chapter on Constantine gives new insight into the reasons for his conversion. An excellent and readable account of a fascinating subject."

Edited by Era Might