An Old School Catholic Message Board

Guidelines/rights For Discerners And Applicants?

SilentJoy

I got back from a live-in that seems like it *might* have been mildly bizarre in hindsight, even though I was happy there and grateful that they let me come and share the life for a week. Maybe the bizarre-est part was that they arranged for a psychological evaluation toward the end of my visit (I gave them permission, it isn't like it was forced on me).

What does a "normal" discernment look like, and how can I be a good self-advocate while respecting the communities I might be interested in (realizing, of course, that we're all human and do human stuff)?

Why is a psych eval bizarre?  Most do (and IMO should) require one.  By doing it now they save you the trouble of coming back and going to their pscyhologist later. 

What else happened you thought was strange?

Why is a psych eval bizarre?  Most do (and IMO should) require one.  By doing it now they save you the trouble of coming back and going to their pscyhologist later. 

What else happened you thought was strange?

Okay, cool. I said "mildly" bizarre - should have emphasized the "mildly" a little more. I didn't think anything was bizarre bizarre, if that makes sense.

I wasn't applying yet, though. I wanted to later, but I've only been a convert for two years and they wanted to wait until it had been three.

Okay, cool. I said "mildly" bizarre - should have emphasized the "mildly" a little more. I didn't think anything was bizarre bizarre, if that makes sense.

I wasn't applying yet, though. I wanted to later, but I've only been a convert for two years and they wanted to wait until it had been three.

Well, bizarre things do happen in religious life and some of it is problematic and should cause one to be cautious.  The psych exam doesn't seem to be one of these instances.  They are saving you a trip by visiting the psychologist now and they are making sure you have an opportunity to discern properly and make a prudent, prayerful decision.  Nothing wrong with that.  

There are groups out there that would pretty much let anyone join without any of these precautions.  Those are the groups you want to be wary of.

Well, bizarre things do happen in religious life

:rotfl2:

Okay, sounds good. It just seemed weird.

domenica_therese

I mean, I hadn't even been accepted yet when I got measured for a postulant outfit -- I had only gotten papers. :P

It was a little surreal, but logistically understandable.  :hehe2:

I mean, I hadn't even been accepted yet when I got measured for a postulant outfit -- I had only gotten papers. :P

It was a little surreal, but logistically understandable.  :hehe2:

Someday, can I borrow your surreal problem? :smile3:

Oh, and a little llama just told me that it wasn't a psychological evaluation, just a talk, since the "real thing" would have been an expensive 4 hour ordeal. So, never mind.

domenica_therese

Someday, can I borrow your surreal problem? :smile3:

No, you have to get your own. I'm keeping mine. :P

4 hours? The psychological assessment for the community that I've been accepted by lasts three days!

That's just what they told you...normally its only 4 hours, but they said "I dunno, Anselm looks suspicious..."

:hehe2:

4 hours? The psychological assessment for the community that I've been accepted by lasts three days!

That's just what they told you...normally its only 4 hours, but they said "I dunno, Anselm looks suspicious..."

:hehe2:

ROTFL!    

The aforesaid Llama photo-thumb-13979.jpg?_r=1394136404might have said (ahem!) that it would take at LEAST 4 hours and might include a bunch of assessment like things to do that would have taken at least another 4 hours or so.  they really are VERY extensive, most of the time.... so i don't think a chat with someone would qualify as an assessment.....

OnlySunshine

The psychological exam I underwent was broken up into two days.  The written exams alone were exhausting and then there was the oral interview.  Ugh...I hope I never have to go through that mess again...

bardegaulois

None of this seems at all bizarre to me. What I would find to be more bizarre would be the sort of navel-gazing so many vocations directors keep their aspirants going through for years before allowing them to become postulants or starting the application process. I sometimes wonder if they're waiting for the discerner to have a Damascus-Road-style locution or something of that sort.

No, these orders are being proactive in moving immediately to weed out those candidates unsuited to their life. It is, to my mind, a most charitable way of quickly finding those out who cannot enter their life and letting them know without stringing them along for so long. Moreover, the best way to test a vocation is actually by trying it. There are so many who discover that they do not have a vocation, or who are judged unsuitable by the community, during the time of a postulancy or novitiate. It is best to let the discernment continue in the cloister, living the life, than among the enticements of the world.

Anyway, just my two cents. God bless.

None of this seems at all bizarre to me. What I would find to be more bizarre would be the sort of navel-gazing so many vocations directors keep their aspirants going through for years before allowing them to become postulants or starting the application process. I sometimes wonder if they're waiting for the discerner to have a Damascus-Road-style locution or something of that sort.

No, these orders are being proactive in moving immediately to weed out those candidates unsuited to their life. It is, to my mind, a most charitable way of quickly finding those out who cannot enter their life and letting them know without stringing them along for so long. Moreover, the best way to test a vocation is actually by trying it. There are so many who discover that they do not have a vocation, or who are judged unsuitable by the community, during the time of a postulancy or novitiate. It is best to let the discernment continue in the cloister, living the life, than among the enticements of the world.

Anyway, just my two cents. God bless.

Okay, "bizarre" was a poor word choice. Agreed to the nth power.   :notworthy:

I like your thinking. I would a lot rather find out sooner than later if I was going to be a really crappy Postulant/Novice, instead of waiting the whole next year and THEN realizing I wasn't cut out for it.

MargaretTeresa

I love these threads... Lots of info, especially since KrissyLou seems certain I'm going to end up a 35 year-old postulant somewhere. :p