An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmelites Of Santa Fe

saintalis

Hi.  I am new here.  Does anyone know if the Santa Fe Carmelites accept older vocations?  I believe they keep the 1990 constitutions, but perhaps others here know better than I. Any information about them would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you so much,

Totally Franciscan

Sorry.  I see I cannot cut and paste a link here for some reason.  Check out the Institute On Religious Life.  They do accept belated vocations!

graciandelamadrededios

Hi!

Please see the website below:

http://www.carmelofsantafe.org/

I am not very familiar with this Carmel but Chiqui has friends in this Carmel and she knows the Mother Prioress, so I hope she responds to this. 

In the official website of the Discalced Carmelite Friars, Santa Fe Carmel is listed under those who are following the 1991 Constitutions.  I am not sure though, if the used to follow the 1990 but later on, switched to 1991 text.  This scenario is possible.

Thank you for your replies.  I am happy to read that someone here actually knows nuns in this monastery!  Hopefully she will reply. 

Thank you again!

Chiquitunga

Hi!

Please see the website below:

http://www.carmelofsantafe.org/

I am not very familiar with this Carmel but Chiqui has friends in this Carmel and she knows the Mother Prioress, so I hope she responds to this. 

In the official website of the Discalced Carmelite Friars, Santa Fe Carmel is listed under those who are following the 1991 Constitutions.  I am not sure though, if the used to follow the 1990 but later on, switched to 1991 text.  This scenario is possible.

It's Dallas Carmel where I have friends :like: They accept late vocations too :) http://www.dallascarmelites.com/  

If you are looking for (or rather you feel God is calling you) to a more traditional Carmel, I would try Dallas first. Not to dissuade you from Santa Fe though. I really don't know much about them. They are 1991 for sure, but in the St. Joseph Association, which is more traditional, http://www.carmelitenunsstjoseph.org/monastery.htm

Also, here's an old thread for you, http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/126182-carmel-of-santa-fe/ (the older thread in there linked to is gone because a couple yrs ago I think it was, dust needed to erase threads with something like 5 or less posts, to let you know)

Thank you Chiquitunga for your reply.  I was waiting until after Lent to write to them as I thought they were 1990 constitutions and they  would probably not be able to reply.  However, since they are 1991 constitutions, do you think it would be okay to write during Lent? 

Golden Years

I wrote to them last March, and they didn't respond for six months.  But maybe that was just me... 

I wrote to them last March, and they didn't respond for six months.  But maybe that was just me... 

Oh my! Well...I guess I will write them and wait and see what happens.  :)

inperpetuity

Six months??  That's insane.  Did they lose your letter or something?

Chiquitunga

I was writing to a 1990 community for a while that answered my letters during Advent and Lent.

yeah, usually I have heard they won't stop vocation correspondence during Lent (at least not altogether) but it's more about not writing family and friends during that time. however, each Carmel has their own rules on this, so it all depends. 

saintalis, I would not worry about waiting until after Easter to write, and then if they do have a rule where they can't write until Easter (or Sundays/big Feasts like the Annunciation) they might just keep you in prayer 'til then, which would be great :like:

I wrote a brief letter, telling my age, status, and health.  I also mentioned that if they cannot respond for awhile, because of the Lenten season, I would completely understand.  

I saw on another forum that a young woman entered here last year.  That's good that they are getting young vocations. Sometimes if a monastery only has older nuns they are less likely to take "belated vocations" which of course is very prudent on their part. 

I'll let you guys know what happens and when (if) I hear back from them.  Thanks for all the input here.  I really appreciate it. 

Golden Years

Six months??  That's insane.  Did they lose your letter or something?

Beats me.  The Prioress wrote that they had just gotten caught up on correspondence...