An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mental Illness And God's Plan

Fidei Defensor

Lilllabettt

Thomas a Kempis is a piece of work. I say that with all due admiration and respect.  Imitation of Christ is a saint-maker, no doubt about it ...  but its not for everyone.  Not for me.

PhuturePriest

Is that the only thing that they do?  Why is Life Insurance so much more expensive for people on antidepressants?  Why are young people advised to avoid Zoloft?  Why does the drug seem to "turn around" on them and suddenly make them more depressed -- and more likely to commit suicide?  Why do the people on it become fat?  Why does their skin start to look bad?  You can see it in their eyes.  They don't seem to track right and they get a "shifty" sort of look to them.

What can sometimes happen is that people are super depressed, and they're so depressed that they have become too lazy to kill themselves. When they take antidepressants, they become less depressed, but not so much that they aren't still willing to kill themselves, and they're less lazy and more active because of the pills, so now they have the energy and the will to kill themselves. Antidepressants don't magically make you super happy and back to normal -- they take a month to a month and a half to take full effect, and in that time the person taking antidepressants should not be left alone often.

I was really blessed. Zoloft was the first antidepressant I took and all of the sudden 6 weeks later I started feeling happy when I thought that life just being begrudingly bearable was the best case scenario. :bounce:

PhuturePriest

I was thinking of Thomas a Kempis specifically. He writes a lot of stuff that to me reads along the lines of fire and brimstone.... Its probably just me...

Maybe a better question is this: Is there a difference between self-confidence and pride?

I don't know the answer. I honestly have in my head that if I were self confident, I would be prideful; but I may just have issues. :unsure:

I'll say the same thing I said to you before that got me a Crazy Dope Post:

Humility is recognizing the gifts God gave you and thanking Him; pride is recognizing the gifts God gave you and praising yourself for them.

It's good to be confident in the gifts God gave you and in being confident in the personality God gave you.

Antidepressants don't magically make you super happy and back to normal

According to my father they do... <_<

Oh crap, I said that out loud. Oh well.