An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mental Illness And God's Plan

Fidei Defensor

I think it depends on the degree of mental illness. someone might date someone with mild depression but would not date someoen with multiple occasions of being sectioned and wrist-slitting suicide attempts. also it is hard to tell where someone's personality ends and wheere their disorder begins. or whether it is them talking or their illness.

Another question - Here is quick quiz based on Bowlby's psychology theory of attachment styles in intimate emotional relationships: http://www.web-research-design.net/cgi-bin/crq/crq.pl

His idea was that based on childhood experiences, you shape your emotional relationships - you dislike them, you are afraid of them, or you are secure and balanced in them.  

my theory is that a higher proportion of people in religious life have avoidant or dismissing attachment, than those who are married who would have more secure emotional attachments. what do you think?

I wonder about what level of public openness about mental illness is beneficial for sufferers.  I guess it also depends on the type of illness.

I've seen some people bravely come out to the world about their struggles.  For fellow sufferers I imagine this is helpful to know that there are others out there and that being public about it is even an option.

On the other side of things there are those who never reveal their struggle to anyone save perhaps their professional help.  If they are able to get proper help to help them live the life they wish for or at the very least cope with their illness, I guess that is OK.  Perhaps what is worrying is the large number of people who don't even know they are struggling with mental illness due to general cultural silence on the topic.  This is why those few who come out to the public do such a good service.

My family is a bit more open than that, but not much...the one with PTSD, the one with regular depressive episodes, the one who is only discovering now about their long-term depression...it's acknowledged to family but never discussed except in very private conversations.  I think that it will turn out OK as long as love, affirmation and support flourishes.

Are others any more open than that?  Say, to the point where it can be openly mentioned and/or discussed with family and friends.  If so, does that help?

I don't like that mental illness is so taboo in public or semi-public conversation.  I would imagine that the more it can be shared and spoken of openly, the less pejorative stereotyping would go on and the more people would be conscious of the signs of it in themselves.  But on an individual level this openness seems unlikely for many reasons.   Do you see a change happening?  Is the current cultural "awareness level" sufficient?

Fidei Defensor

I wonder about what level of public openness about mental illness is beneficial for sufferers.  I guess it also depends on the type of illness.

I've seen some people bravely come out to the world about their struggles.  For fellow sufferers I imagine this is helpful to know that there are others out there and that being public about it is even an option.

On the other side of things there are those who never reveal their struggle to anyone save perhaps their professional help.  If they are able to get proper help to help them live the life they wish for or at the very least cope with their illness, I guess that is OK.  Perhaps what is worrying is the large number of people who don't even know they are struggling with mental illness due to general cultural silence on the topic.  This is why those few who come out to the public do such a good service.

My family is a bit more open than that, but not much...the one with PTSD, the one with regular depressive episodes, the one who is only discovering now about their long-term depression...it's acknowledged to family but never discussed except in very private conversations.  I think that it will turn out OK as long as love, affirmation and support flourishes.

Are others any more open than that?  Say, to the point where it can be openly mentioned and/or discussed with family and friends.  If so, does that help?

I don't like that mental illness is so taboo in public or semi-public conversation.  I would imagine that the more it can be shared and spoken of openly, the less pejorative stereotyping would go on and the more people would be conscious of the signs of it in themselves.  But on an individual level this openness seems unlikely for many reasons.   Do you see a change happening?  Is the current cultural "awareness level" sufficient?

I think there ought to be more openness about mental illness in the public. Its an illness, like any other. Some people have heart troubles, others have issues with their digestive system (which I also have) and some have sickness in their brain. It should be acceptable to talk about any of those illnesses and not be stigmatized.

There was this comic someone posted on tumblr about how depression is like a crushed hand. I would post it, but the f word is in it. Anyhow, This guy had this crushed hand, and his friends were like "Oh, here we go again! Can't you just have fun!" "I know how you feel, I had a papercut once" "Have you tried not having a crushed hand?" And in the final panel it says, "Oh, blaming your depression again? Can't you just not be depressed?" And the guy said, "That's what I have been trying to tell you!" I thought it was really interesting, it's like gah! Finally someone gets it! Like, "Have you ever tried not having cancer?" "One time I got really sad, I understand." Yeah, no. No you don't.

southern california guy

I wonder how much mental illness is linked to genetic causes and how much of it is created by societal problems.  Take the Mormons in Utah for instance.  They use 60 percent more antidepressants than the rest of the country.  They argue that successful people use antidepressants -- and that they are just successful people.  But that is not the truth.  They take the antidepressants because they are clinically depressed -- and there would be more suicides in Utah if they didn't.

Utah is interestingly enough the place where young adults were having troubles with Zoloft -- and committing suicide.  Zoloft is very popular in Utah because it is cheap.  Why is there so much depression and suicide in Utah?  Genetic problems??  Or maybe because the Mormon religion is such a total power trip of a religion?  I've never seen such a jealous manipulative group of people in all my life -- and for the members it never ends.  

But I also have to wonder if taking drugs -- to help mental problems -- takes a toll on the person after a while.  I was only in the hospital for 3 days when I broke my leg, but I was also highly medicated.  And when I got back home I was so strung out I could not believe it.  I did not take the pain killers but I could not sleep for almost 2 weeks -- and I literally started going crazy -- hallucinating etc..  Then my doctor gave me Valium and I finally could sleep and the stress was gone.  I only took it for six days, but it totally normalized me.  However people take antidepressants and other drugs for years and years!  What does it ultimately do to them?  I read an article about drug addicts that said that the drugs basically rewire peoples brains -- and they become dependent upon them.  They can go through rehab but they will always be an addict.

Are the medical drugs helping in the short term but further exasperating mental problems in the long term?

Edited by southern california guy

HisChildForever

I wonder how much mental illness is linked to genetic causes and how much of it is created by societal problems.  Take the Mormons in Utah for instance.  They use 60 percent more antidepressants than the rest of the country.  They argue that successful people use antidepressants -- and that they are just successful people.  But that is not the truth.  They take the antidepressants because they are clinically depressed -- and there would be more suicides in Utah if they didn't.

Utah is interestingly enough the place where young adults were having troubles with Zoloft -- and committing suicide.  Zoloft is very popular in Utah because it is cheap.  Why is there so much depression and suicide in Utah?  Genetic problems??  Or maybe because the Mormon religion is such a total power trip of a religion?  I've never seen such a jealous manipulative group of people in all my life -- and for the members it never ends.  

But I also have to wonder if taking drugs -- to help mental problems -- takes a toll on the person after a while.  I was only in the hospital for 3 days when I broke my leg, but I was also highly medicated.  And when I got back home I was so strung out I could not believe it.  I did not take the pain killers but I could not sleep for almost 2 weeks -- and I literally started going crazy -- hallucinating etc..  Then my doctor gave me Valium and I finally could sleep and the stress was gone.  I only took it for six days, but it totally normalized me.  However people take antidepressants and other drugs for years and years!  What does it ultimately do to them?  I read an article about drug addicts that said that the drugs basically rewire peoples brains -- and they become dependent upon them.  They can go through rehab but they will always be an addict.

Are the medical drugs helping in the short term but further exasperating mental problems in the long term?

Antidepressants even out chemical imbalances. It's completely different from pain medication.

southern california guy

Antidepressants even out chemical imbalances. It's completely different from pain medication.

Is that the only thing that they do?  Why is Life Insurance so much more expensive for people on antidepressants?  Why are young people advised to avoid Zoloft?  Why does the drug seem to "turn around" on them and suddenly make them more depressed -- and more likely to commit suicide?  Why do the people on it become fat?  Why does their skin start to look bad?  You can see it in their eyes.  They don't seem to track right and they get a "shifty" sort of look to them.

Edited by southern california guy

Why does the drug seem to "turn around" on them and suddenly make them more depressed -- and more likely to commit suicide?  

Because---some people are too depressed to actually do anything at all, including kill themselves or self-harm. So sometimes, an antidepressant will give them more "energy" (for want of better phrase) to actually do it.

Sometimes people just don't respond well. Some people do great on cymbalta, while it just made me light-headed and miserable. Some people do awful on prozac to the point where it makes it difficult to cry because it works too well...and for some people like me, it works fine and I have no trouble showing sadness when on it. 

As to genetics, schizophrenia affects 1% of the population across all races, cultures, and genders. If you have a parent with it, your risk is 10%. If it's an identical twin, risk is 50%. If it was purely genetic, it would be near 100%. You have the genetic predisposition and then experience any of a number of brain stressors either invetro or later that causes the illness to manifest.

Those who carry the gene and don't get it are said to be more creative. This is why it hasn't been bred out of the population because people with the illness don't normally have as many kids.

Fidei Defensor

Is that the only thing that they do?  Why is Life Insurance so much more expensive for people on antidepressants?  Why are young people advised to avoid Zoloft?  Why does the drug seem to "turn around" on them and suddenly make them more depressed -- and more likely to commit suicide?  Why do the people on it become fat?  Why does their skin start to look bad?  You can see it in their eyes.  They don't seem to track right and they get a "shifty" sort of look to them.

Different classes of antidepressants affect different chemicals. The most commonly used antidepressant class is the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) which work to make the chemical serotonin stick around in nerve synapses longer. Current research suggests, though, that that isn't the only antidepressant mechanism behind them and that there may be some effects on brain derived neurotropic factor and the growth of new neurons.

The drugs I take to control my mental illness are Fluoxetine (Prozac, an SSRI) and Aripiprazole (Abilify, an atypical antipsychotic.)  The Prozac helps my depression through control of serotonin and the Abilify helps with controlling dopamine and some other classes of serotonin receptors.  These two drugs have worked wonderfully for me and have brought me from misery into becoming a productive member of society.

The reason why people often feel worse before feeling better when taking psychotropic drugs is because the brain has to re-equilibriate to changes in chemicals. Antidepressants take 4-6 weeks to have full effect, so in that beginning time, people may often feel what they describe as worse.

In terms of "addiction" and "dependence," those with severe depression do become "dependent" on their drugs in so much as they help them function in the world. That's not a bad kind of dependence. I am quite dependent on my drugs and without them, I wouldn't likely even get out of bed in the morning.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Didn't think I would have to get started with this again, but here are my responses.

If a person's issues are that mild that I don't notice them, then I'm not really worried about the issue.  I agree that a lot of people try to hide it, but if it's severe enough to interfere with daily life, it usually comes out one way or another.

Your correct armando. The diagnosis and term mental illness is kind of flung around now like everyone has it, by people and the psyche profession. Perhaps there are varying degrees but if you have ever been to a mental institution those people are sick as hell and i probably wouldn't marry one either unless there was some kind of miraculous event. I have had 3 trips to mental institutions as a patient, twice voluntary and once court order, and on the 3rd and final trip over 10 years ago which was the court ordered one i kind of made a private vow in my heart to never have to go back there because half the people in there are actually really sick, i'm angered by people that boast they have depression and or mental illness, bi pola etc, yet hold down a job, a marriage, a clean house, go for daily walks etc, stop being a baby your not that unwell, you may be unwell but not that unwell, if you where seriously unwell you probably wouldn't be able to do such things consistently if at all, but than perhaps jesus gives you the ability to do so, but only jesus could, or your drugged up on 5 different kinds of meds, which is needed if you have a SERIOUS DEGREE of mental illness and no Jesus, and sometimes even with jesus (maccabees). :)

I think here and i'm not talking about everything polskie said because i have yet to read everything, polskie is talking about people with a serious mental illness.

My mental illness is moderate, it is neither severe nore minor and i'm medicated but unsure if that really does a huge amount. I can't work full time and i can't help with cleaning around the house for my family because i'm to sick. I keep myself and my own personal space/room relatively clean and tidy, there are some people with severe mental problems that can't even keep themselves clean nore are they fully coherent in what they are trying to say when they speak, so very hard to understand.

Anyhow... Jesus iz LORD! Onward christian souls. 

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

• 2 weeks later...

Love thy neighbor as thyself.

I have always wondered how that works if someone doesn't like themselves. I have heard theologians say that we are suppose to be that way. But, is it healthy... idk... it confuses me.

I have always wondered how that works if someone doesn't like themselves. I have heard theologians say that we are suppose to be that way. But, is it healthy... idk... it confuses me.

we are supposed to not like ourselves?

I guess I'm in trouble I think I'm pretty great.

we are supposed to not like ourselves?

I guess I'm in trouble I think I'm pretty great.

I was thinking of Thomas a Kempis specifically. He writes a lot of stuff that to me reads along the lines of fire and brimstone.... Its probably just me...

Maybe a better question is this: Is there a difference between self-confidence and pride?

I don't know the answer. I honestly have in my head that if I were self confident, I would be prideful; but I may just have issues. :unsure:

Edited by Annie12