An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mental Illness And God's Plan

Fidei Defensor

IcePrincessKRS

I think we can say this--God does not cause these things to happen but allows them to happen. Why, I don't know. But that's the best I can come up with.

Agreed. These things exist because of the fall. We are fallen creatures with faults. We are prone to illness. God doesn't cause people to have mental illness any more than He causes them to catch a cold. *Ish happens because the world is (in a sense) a broken place.

I know several people with diagnosed mental illnesses. They are some of the most beautiful human beings I know. I consider it a blessing and an honor to have them be a part of my life. It makes me irate to think that other people woud consider them a burden.

My statement was not based on anything I saw in the media.  I know the media blows a lot of things out of proportion.  I was basing my statement off of my personal experiences, as well as what others have experienced personally.

Anecdotal experience, then.

OnlySunshine

I beg to differ.  Over the course of my life, I have seen a wide range of people with illnesses (severe autism, depression, self-injury, impulse control, adhd, etc).  In every case I've seen, there were problems with these people functioning in day to day life.  Obviously, someone with depression will have nowhere near the level of trouble that a severely autistic person will have.  But there were still problems.  I'm not saying that there needs to be a guy with a straight jacket following these people around.  But the people in that person's life need to be mindful of that individual's psychological limitations.  Lets put it this way, I have no problems being friends with a person who has adhd/depression.  But I would be VERY weary of spending the rest of my life in a relationship like that.

My statement was not based on anything I saw in the media.  I know the media blows a lot of things out of proportion.  I was basing my statement off of my personal experiences, as well as what others have experienced personally.

Depression does not mean someone will forever struggle with problems.  Depression and anxiety are the most common mental illnesses today.  It's a chemical imbalance, which can occur from a traumatic life event such as a family member dying in a car crash.  It can be acute and not long-term.  So I think it's unfair to say that someone with a mental illness will always have problems.  Medicine is always evolving. 

http://www.livescience.com/42442-mental-disorders-more-common.html

http://tech.mit.edu/V120/N3/dep1.3n.html

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Fidei Defensor

I have diagnosed major depressive disorder, attention deficit disorder and an anxiety disorder.  With the proper medications, I am a high functioning member of society. 

I will not lie, I have had some rough times. However, I have made it through and am still here today, perhaps by the grace of a loving God; certainly through the work of my dedicated team of physicians. 

Edited by tardis ad astra

My husband has schizophrenia, I have PTSD, our adopted son has bipolar and fetal alcohol. The sanest person in the family is our basset hound. Considering he likes to smell his own urine puddles, I'm not sure he is a paragon of sanity.

It's interesting the way people say they "have" depression/anxiety etc. I used to say that too but now the phrase strikes me funny for some reason. Almost as though we possess our illnesses. Or maybe they just become part of our identity, idk. Kind of an aside really . . .

OnlySunshine

It's interesting the way people say they "have" depression/anxiety etc. I used to say that too but now the phrase strikes me funny for some reason. Almost as though we possess our illnesses. Or maybe they just become part of our identity, idk. Kind of an aside really . . .

I'd rather "have" it than it "have" me, if you know what I mean. 

Polskieserce, would you be so kind as to pray for those of us with mental illnesses?

God bless you.

polskieserce

Polskieserce, would you be so kind as to pray for those of us with mental illnesses?

God bless you.

Already have for a while.  God bless you too

how would you say it? i usually say depression is a part of me. not something i can expunge or embrace. prickly thorn in the flesh.

Fidei Defensor

how would you say it? i usually say depression is a part of me. not something i can expunge or embrace. prickly thorn in the flesh.

I usually say I have depression/mental illness. Though I can see using "afflicted by" in place of that, to emphasize the nature of illness and disease.

have depression. It's an illness and it sucks. 

But it's good we live in a world where we can get help when we need it. 

Fidei Defensor

have depression. It's an illness and it smells of elderberries. 

But it's good we live in a world where we can get help when we need it. 

Indeed it is. Granted, its still a struggle for me that zaps my energy every day.