An Old School Catholic Message Board

Benedictine Monks

Golden Years

In case you didn't catch it, Father Mitch Pacwa hosted Father Philip Anderson, Abbot of Our Lady of the Annunciation of Clear Creek Abbey on EWTN Live this week.  Features lots of beautiful photos/video clips depicting the monks and their life at the Abbey in Oklahoma.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onKSNLNhlUY&list=UUijDos-LUTh9RQvSCMQqN6Q&feature=c4-overview

PhuturePriest

Thank you so much! I've always loved this monastery. Listening to this monk talk about the founding of it really makes me want to visit it.

I've been there and all I can say is I have never felt the presence of God so strongly as I did in their chapel.  And I think there is a sense among the monks that they are building something of historic significance for the Church and for this nation.  They just keep growing and growing and it's really sort of amazing to watch. 

Totally Franciscan

I watched it the other night.  I also am a fan of this monastery.  I was just about to turn the TV off, when an older woman in the audience asked the Abbot about mature women's vocations; I had to hear what he had to say about the topic, as I am in the middle of this very thing.  Unfortunately, he was not very enthusiastic about prospects for older women discerners.  He put his head down and said it is very, very difficult, if not impossible, for older women discerners, especially in contemplative communities.  I surmised from his conversation that his reasoning was the old, 'they are set in their ways' argument.  I find this very strange, as the Benedictine nuns associated with this monastery have taken in older discerners.  Did anyone get a different impression from the Abbot?

PhuturePriest

I've been there and all I can say is I have never felt the presence of God so strongly as I did in their chapel.  And I think there is a sense among the monks that they are building something of historic significance for the Church and for this nation.  They just keep growing and growing and it's really sort of amazing to watch. 

I think I would fit right in. He said a large number of them are homeschooled, and I fit that description. :P

PhuturePriest

I watched it the other night.  I also am a fan of this monastery.  I was just about to turn the TV off, when an older woman in the audience asked the Abbot about mature women's vocations; I had to hear what he had to say about the topic, as I am in the middle of this very thing.  Unfortunately, he was not very enthusiastic about prospects for older women discerners.  He put his head down and said it is very, very difficult, if not impossible, for older women discerners, especially in contemplative communities.  I surmised from his conversation that his reasoning was the old, 'they are set in their ways' argument.  I find this very strange, as the Benedictine nuns associated with this monastery have taken in older discerners.  Did anyone get a different impression from the Abbot?

I know that I plug them at every possible opportunity, but the Franciscan Poor Clares in Fort Wayne, Indiana, take any woman 17 and up. They are contemplative and very traditional.

I asked to be considered by those nuns but was told that they do not accept women over 35.  I think they did at one time but they don't anymore. 

PhuturePriest

I asked to be considered by those nuns but was told that they do not accept women over 35.  I think they did at one time but they don't anymore. 

I know that I plug them at every possible opportunity, but the Franciscan Poor Clares in Fort Wayne, Indiana, take any woman 17 and up. They are contemplative and very traditional.

inperpetuity

Thanks for pointing this out.  I thoroughly enjoyed listening to Abbot Philip Anderson speak about the Abbey of Clear Creek, Our Lady of the Annunciation. Fr. Pacwa did a great job with the interview.  They have so many young vocations in fact we had two young guys from our parish recently make their final vows there.

Lee Gilbert

Well, I know of at least one grandmother ( I am not sure she was a grandmother at the time of entrance) who entered the JMJ Carmelites (Valparaiso) as an extern sister.  And I am not sure she entered at Valparaiso, it may have been when the community was still in Las Vegas, a little more than fifteen years ago. Surely her children were grown.  Then after some time the nuns decided that she would fit right in as a choir nun, so they admitted her under that aspect.  She is at Canyon right now. 

Oh wow. What is that horrible thing Fr. Pacwa wearing on his head.. 

I think he misplaced his black Saturno and went with that instead! :hehe2:

Chiquitunga

Well, I know of at least one grandmother ( I am not sure she was a grandmother at the time of entrance) who entered the JMJ Carmelites (Valparaiso) as an extern sister.  And I am not sure she entered at Valparaiso, it may have been when the community was still in Las Vegas, a little more than fifteen years ago. Surely her children were grown.  Then after some time the nuns decided that she would fit right in as a choir nun, so they admitted her under that aspect.  She is at Canyon right now. 

That's wonderful! :)