An Old School Catholic Message Board

Refute This

Didacus

[quote name='Freaky Chik' post='21726' date='Aug 24 2003, 02:37 AM']do you guys read yer bibles in your own personal time???[/quote]

Yes I do, and with my children as well (though not as often with my children) and I openly encourage my children to read the bible. We have a family bible which I place in the place of honour in our library and repeat to anyone who asks that there will never be a book more important than the bible.

Any more questions?

[quote name='Dave' post='21752' date='Aug 24 2003, 10:01 AM']St. Isidore (560-636 AD) Bishop and Doctor of the Church

"Prayer purifies us, reading instructs us... If a man wants to be always in God's company, he must pray regularly and read regularly. When we pray, we talk to God; when we read, God talks to us.[/quote]

That's a great quote! Love it!

[quote name='VeraMaria' post='21754' date='Aug 24 2003, 10:08 AM']Those two articles were cool....I just love when people post things like that, I learn so much!! ;) :P[/quote]

ditto

[quote name='Didacus' post='1730513' date='Dec 17 2008, 03:23 PM']ditto[/quote]
[indent]Of course, you are not forbidden to read the bible.
Maybe the question should be - Are you allowed to interpret the bible.[/indent]

[quote name='Winchester' post='21729' date='Aug 24 2003, 12:06 AM']Always always always demand the name of a document when someone lays an allegation of such ridiculosity (it's not as word, but it darn well should be) at your doorstep.

Then, when they're stuttering about it and confused, push them over like a sleeping cow.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
i love the winchester smack downs :hehe:

[quote name='PedroX' post='21715' date='Aug 24 2003, 12:49 AM']I can counter many false charges laid against the Church, but I don't know how to counter the "forbidden to read the Bible" charge. Can anybody help me with this?
peace...[/quote]

Grab your Bible and start reading out loud to them ^_^

[quote name='StColette' post='1730707' date='Dec 17 2008, 06:01 PM']Grab your Bible and start reading out loud to them ^_^[/quote]
[indent]You are allowed to read it but you are forbidden to interpret it yourself. Why reading it anyway. :biglol: [/indent]

[quote name='reyb' post='1730731' date='Dec 17 2008, 07:32 PM'][indent]You are allowed to read it but you are forbidden to interpret it yourself. Why reading it anyway. :biglol: [/indent][/quote]

We are taught on how to interpret scripture so that we do not get anything wrong. We read because it is the word of God.

[quote name='Winchester' post='21729' date='Aug 24 2003, 02:06 AM']Always always always demand the name of a document when someone lays an allegation of such ridiculosity (it's not as word, but it darn well should be) at your doorstep.

Then, when they're stuttering about it and confused, push them over like a sleeping cow.[/quote]
Who is this man? I like him.

[quote name='StColette' post='1730707' date='Dec 17 2008, 06:01 PM']Grab your Bible and start reading out loud to them ^_^[/quote]

You totally win the internet. :thumbsup:

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='littleflower+JMJ' post='21720' date='Aug 24 2003, 02:02 AM']okay i'm not ironmonk nor am i likos but i can say that we do inDouche read the bible.[/quote]

:rolling:

I'd almost forgotten about that word being part of the fiddler way back when...

[quote name='Dave' post='21753' date='Aug 24 2003, 03:04 PM']It reveals that at Westminster School, and probably at Saint Paul's, too, that "a boy who knew Latin and presumed to speak English, or even French, had a cut of the cane for every word so spoken..."

..Unlike today’s students, they had strict discipline and they began the day with a prayer. They followed that with a recitation of the Creed, the Lord's Prayer, and then a request to the Blessed Virgin Mary that she join her own prayers with theirs to Jesus Christ, and then they sang the Psalms.[/quote]

Some english public schools aren't that far off from this model. Latin at my old school is still compulsory up to 14 and we still meet at chapel every morning before first lesson, though most of the lessons are now in English ;)