An Old School Catholic Message Board

Men In Black

Anselm

Ok, so habits and the like don't bother me much (beyond their practical use as a uniform and an aid to humility), though I can't quite understand orders that get rid of them, but I think we need a new thread like this, just to highlight the fact that there are some men on here too, even if not many!

I'll kick things off with a photo of the new Abbot of Worth, Sussex, wearing the distinctive hood of the English Benedictine Congregation.

[attachment=3257:Dom Luke.jpeg]

St. Bernard Benedictine Abbey in Alabama (southern US) hosts a Men In Black Retreat for high school students each year.

I'd say that, in most of the Benedictine monasteries in the States, the monks still wear black - it's not always the full robe, or it's the full robe in situations where they're representing the Abbey or something - but most of them do still wear it.

Oh yes, a far smaller proportion of male communities have got rid of the habit than female ones. Interestingly there are some UK Benedictine communities that wear white for historical reasons (Pluscarden and Prinknash spring to mind).

Spem in alium

I'm not male, but I like men in black - especially Australian ones! These Benedictine monks are located not too far from me.

81460881.jpg

cf0aec25-38fc-4620-84ba-3c2c5f627537.jpg

Community2002.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's interesting to see the difference in the Habits between Benendictine houses/congregations. This picture compares the English Benedictine congregation and the Subiaco Cassinese Habit. I believe the latter is similar to the Solemes Habit also. You can read about the slight differences in the profession rite also at the link.

Edited by Benedictus

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

The Conception Abbey FB page has LOADS of awesome pictures for those so inclined to look for them...Among them you find many of my teachers and fellow students. A couple fun facts. The Monks of Conception Abbey under the direction of Abbot Gregory Polan O.S.B. did the translation of the Revised Grail Psalms, which is the Official  translation for the English Liturgy in the United States and most of the English speaking world as of 2010. All future Liturgical Texts will use these translations. As well Abbot Gregory translated the last 1/3 of the Book of Isaiah from the Dead Sea Scrolls for the Revised New American Bible...AWESOME smart monks here...I couldn't figure out how to repost a FB picture, so go look for yourselves. :)

It's interesting to see the difference in the Habits between Benendictine houses/congregations. This picture compares the English Benedictine congregation and the Subiaco Cassinese Habit. I believe the latter is similar to the Solemes Habit also. You can read about the slight differences in the profession rite also at the link.

Yes, they're both called Anselm, funnily enough! One is from Douai and the other from Farnborough, though I believe that he has since left that community.

Yes, they're both called Anselm, funnily enough! One is from Douai and the other from Farnborough, though I believe that he has since left that community.

I know the one from Farnborough was intially at Ramsgate, now Chilworth. No idea if he is still there, but many don't seem to perservere at Farnborough. I hope the community there can be sustained; it must be harder keeping their observances going in a very small community. The Anselm from Doui was doing his theology studies at Blackfrairs, Oxford. Hopefully he still is! :pray:

Edited by Benedictus

Oh he's at Chilworth now? That's good to hear. I've not met the other Anselm, though Facebook keeps telling me that I must know him as we have so many friends in common!

Oh he's at Chilworth now? That's good to hear. I've not met the other Anselm, though Facebook keeps telling me that I must know him as we have so many friends in common!

No, sorry. I meant to say he was at Ramsgate (now called Chilworth after the community moved) before he went to Farnborough. I don't know why he moved from one house to another at that time. I assumed it was because numbers were drastically low at Farnborough. But I don't know what's happened since. Hopefully he's still in the Habit somewhere.

Oh yes, of course. I have a feeling that he isn't, though I mustn't gossip, particularly when I know nothing about what's happened.

Frs Luke, Francis and Gregory and Br Duncan have tea in the cloister after lunch. Quarr Abbey, England. I will keep highlighting that there are also men on here contemplative religious life too!

Gallery1282398807022.JPG

Frs Luke, Francis and Gregory and Br Duncan have tea in the cloister after lunch. Quarr Abbey, England. I will keep highlighting that there are also men on here contemplative religious life too!

Definately! Thought I'd add a pic of a Benedictine monk in a white habit :photo: Good for hot countries, but I think I'd prefer black in general. As an aside I think It's interesting how colours and clothes can have an impact (and other factors) on the wearer and others in terms of identity, communication, ideals and so on. I always thought it was maybe something orders that adapted towards secular clothing and other custom norms had maybe not always fully considered, possibly to their peril in some cases.

Edited by Benedictus