An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recent Converts And Religious Vocations

oremus1

beccasmiles89

in general though, what does what does 'practicing' catholicism mean, before one becomes catholic or is doing the RCIA?

Since I'm still participating in RCIA, I think of myself as "unofficially" Catholic...doing everything a Catholic does, except those things that I can't do until I'm "officially" Catholic, like receiving the Eucharist and going to Confession. For me personally, that includes going to Sunday Mass (and Daily Mass, when possible), spending time daily in quiet prayer and spiritual reading...basically trying to immerse myself in the Catholic faith as much as possible.

Counting down till April 19!!! :dance:

Here is actually a neat little article I found, for both "unofficial" and "official" Catholics! :)

http://thepracticingcatholic.com/what-is-a-practicing-catholic/

Most communities I've contacted have said that they suggest converts wait a year or two after entering the Catholic Church, so that the individual has time to practice and continue to grow in their faith in the world.

as CVs have no specific ministry and indeed are not obliged to do anything other than remain celibate, why should they have a higher standard to meet than ones who are joining an order?

TBH I am not so sure they do. I think you are presuming that once a person enters a community, that's it, hey presto all is okay and I am on a direct route to heaven.

In fact, Entering the community is the first tiny step. Most communities ask the person to take another 5 - 7 years (in a few cases, longer) before making final profession.

I suppose it depends on how you view the vocation of a CV. Though the obligations may be as you state, from what I have read on here most CV's take their status and their vocation very seriously, no less than someone who enters a community.

It's just past my one year anniversary of BEGINNING to study the Catholic faith, haha, and almost my 7-month anniversary of being officially received into Holy Mother Church.  I have begun to discern religious life since January, and it's going to be at least 3 full years after my reception before I could enter anywhere due to college.  Who knows - I might need more time than that.  I'll trust the judgment of the community I seek to join.

I think the community that requires a few years of regular visits with them before postulancy would surely bend the rules if you're, say, 26 or 27.  In case of necessity (especially if the distance to travel is large) a small number of extended visits should be able to substitute for a larger number of short visits - at least, I've heard this from the monastery with which I plan to discern.  It would probably be difficult to manage this if you're 28 or older. 

Another way to shave time if you fear being too old at the end of the discernment process is simply to start looking earlier, so that maybe you don't take that whole year to decide between communities.  In those initial years after conversion, you could especially work on understanding the charisms of various communities.  Your affinity with a charism is probably the most important point, no?  Even though you might not officially be asked to discern until 3-5 years after conversion, I don't think there is anything stopping you from reading the works of founders, etc.  In general I think it's harmless to begin contact with a community earlier rather than later.

But I have about zero experience in this so I might be wrong haha!

I remember one time hearing Mother Angelica say that "the call to holiness is very often confused with a call to religious life."

I could imagine this being especially true for catechumens/candidates for full reception.  It's often a heady, emotional, time.  And that isn't bad -- it's wonderful!  it's a gift!

But it would also be easy to confuse that call to give yourself to God <period> with a more specific call to give yourself to God through consecrated life.

And, of course, maybe God IS also calling you to follow him specifically through consecrated life.  Or maybe you're reacting to the call to be fully united with the Catholic Church and misinterpreting that as a call to religious life.

Can you figure that out in initial formation?  Is that sort of thing exactly what initial formation is for?  Sure.  But it's messier after you've given your things away, moved into the convent, etc.  A lot messier.

So, okay.  For people in a situation where those sorts of confusions are common, slow down.  If God is calling you to consecrated life, God will still be calling you in a couple years.  Get used to being Catholic first.  One big transition at a time.

<Now if you're bumping up against age limits, something has to give.  Maybe that's entering a bit earlier, maybe that's the community extending their age limit a bit.  If the community isn't willing to bend on EITHER well then that may be a sign God is calling you to a different community.>

That having been said, 10 years sounds like plenty of time!  Huh!

I remember one time hearing Mother Angelica say that "the call to holiness is very often confused with a call to religious life."

krissy quoting mother angelica just made my day! :D

I'm a convert of less than a year officially, but as I had the desire to "be at one with God" and Catholic since I was three, and was brought up in the faith even though I hadn't received the sacraments until I was over the age of consent because I could not get parental consent (I was brought up by other people as my parents were working), I was living like a practising Catholic before I was Catholic. So that's what it means to be Catholic and in the faith when you haven't officially been received into the Church yet.

As for the RCIA - that is normally a 2 year course, although some parishes do it in one year, or even in nine months. It does not necessarily meant that the person received into the Church has been practising that long though, as some people don't really properly live out their faith even during and after the RCIA course. It depends on the individual and the parish as to whether they let the person go ahead or not (as well as the Bishop in the Diocese). 

Each case is assessed on a case by case basis, and as far as Religious Life is concerned, the guidelines stand at 2 years in the Catholic Church. It is a guideline and not Canon Law. Noviciate is slightly different, but to enter the Aspirancy, Candidacy and Postulancy you don't need to have been in the Church for two years. I am already quite far into the discernment process as I have been discerning for 5-6 years now. I will not reveal where I am in the formation process or which congregation, as you understand, but all I am saying is that it is purely assessed on a case by case basis. 

krissy quoting mother angelica just made my day! :D

Know your audience, m'dear.  :)