An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recent Converts And Religious Vocations

oremus1

For converts, how long do you think they should have been practicing the faith to be suitable for a religious vocation?

I am a candidate for consecrated virginity, i converted about 8-10 years ago. but a few bishops and priests thought this was not long enough, and the vocation shold only be open to middle aged converts who had practiced the faith for a couple decades AND have 7 years of formation like that of priests and hermits.

meanwhile i know a guy who is becomign a brother, who has been catholic less than 2 years, and his SD encouraged him to take a vow of chastity which was put on his baptismal certificate.

i know a girl who has also been catholic less than two years and is spending a few months with the cameldose beneditcines or carthusians, one of those types of orders to join.

i also know of some orders who want you to be practicing the faith for about 3-5 years before starting to discern, then have a few years of regular visits with them, then you can join. some of those comunities have upper age limits of about 30. so if you convert say when you are 21, you spend 4 years being catholic, then you spend a year deciding which community, trying different ones, then you spend 5 years discerning with the one you want to join, you are too old! so this artificially blocks converts from joining.

is there any official guidelines?

as CVs have no specific ministry and indeed are not obliged to do anything other than remain celibate, why should they have a higher standard to meet than ones who are joining an order?

what are your views of converts and vocations?

what do you think of the required lopng duration of being catholic, combined with the low cut off age of some insititutes?

finally, most people who are converts, say "i've been catholic for about a year. but i was practicing the faith for about 5 years" what does this mean? surely all converts must practice the fiath for at least two years before converting, since that is the duration of most RCIA. but bishops and insititures are interseted in when you JOINED the church. what do you think of this?

I think 2 years is enough, but you have to make sure that you're informed completely about the faith. When it comes down to it, if God is calling you, then you should do what you think he wants.

I don't know anything about the vocation to celibacy within the world, but if you are interested in a religious community, ask them. From my limited research it seems like the norm for converts is 2 years before being able to apply (you could probably be discerning with the community before that). Some advise, but do not require, that you wait 3 years. Others do not have a requirement about the number of years since your conversion; they look at each candidate on a case-by-case basis. I think a lot depends on the individual convert, not so much on the years they've been Catholic.

what do you think of the required lopng duration of being catholic, combined with the low cut off age of some insititutes?

finally, most people who are converts, say "i've been catholic for about a year. but i was practicing the faith for about 5 years" what does this mean? surely all converts must practice the fiath for at least two years before converting, since that is the duration of most RCIA. but bishops and insititures are interseted in when you JOINED the church. what do you think of this?

"duration of being Catholic combined with the low cut off age of some institutes"...

:beg: YOU.THINK.I.HAVE.THIS.KIND.OF.TIME? I AM TWENTY-FRIGGIN-NINE ALREADY!!! :stars:

(And if they see you with THAT attitude, they'll say "Ummm...not mature yet.") :smile2:

The length of RCIA can be very open-ended. Some people go for several years because they haven't made up their mind whether or not they can accept Catholicism, or perhaps they are waiting on a tedious annulment, or something. Others, if they have already been baptized in a Christian denomination and don't have certain impediments, can enter the Church at *almost* any time. I studied Catholicism privately for at least a year before entering RCIA, and I wouldn't have spent very much time in RCIA except someone mistakenly told me at the beginning that I had to go through the whole thing even though I was a Candidate rather than a Catechumen. (I asked again 8 months later and the person in charge said "Oh! You could've entered pretty much anytime.")

I'm a convert  officially Catholic now for 3 years (it will be three in April!)  and practicing for almost 5. I think many converts say how long they have been "practicing" (ie Catholic except for not having the Sacraments) because for some the road is shorter or longer. I waited a year and a half before I started RCIA and then was in RCIA for about 6 months (Oct-April). However some people may start RCIA sooner or later after their initial conversion.

I really do agree now looking back that the 2 year request is prudent. I thought that I knew a lot about my faith but I realize now that I needed time for it to "take root". It was hard and frustrating at times to have to wait but definitely needed. I was however discerning and talking with communities during that time. I think if one is concerned about age limits go ahead and talk with the community, just go in with the understanding that they will probably ask you to wait. Then they will at least know you are interested and even if you have to wait they might be willing to make an exception on the age limits.

PhuturePriest

I don't think I have all the answers, so I leave this up to communities. In general, I've seen communities mostly say that you must be a Catholic for 2 to 3 years before entering their community. That seems reasonable enough to me, anyway.

"duration of being Catholic combined with the low cut off age of some institutes"...

:beg: YOU.THINK.I.HAVE.THIS.KIND.OF.TIME? I AM TWENTY-FRIGGIN-NINE ALREADY!!! :stars:

(And if they see you with THAT attitude, they'll say "Ummm...not mature yet.")  :smile2:

There is no need to be so rude about it. grow up. 

My point is, if most insititutes have a cut off age of about 30 ish and they require candidates to be catholic for say 5-10 years then this effectively precludes converts from joining their orders.

I'm a convert  officially Catholic now for 3 years (it will be three in April!)  and practicing for almost 5. I think many converts say how long they have been "practicing" (ie Catholic except for not having the Sacraments) because for some the road is shorter or longer. I waited a year and a half before I started RCIA and then was in RCIA for about 6 months (Oct-April). However some people may start RCIA sooner or later after their initial conversion.

I really do agree now looking back that the 2 year request is prudent. I thought that I knew a lot about my faith but I realize now that I needed time for it to "take root". It was hard and frustrating at times to have to wait but definitely needed. I was however discerning and talking with communities during that time. I think if one is concerned about age limits go ahead and talk with the community, just go in with the understanding that they will probably ask you to wait. Then they will at least know you are interested and even if you have to wait they might be willing to make an exception on the age limits.

what does 'practicing' catholicism are not catholic and are not doing the RCIA?

and why do most converts 'practice' the faith for a few years before starting RCIA?

Personally, depending on the order, it is my view that converts should have at least 3 years before joining an active order, at least 5 years before a contemplative order, and about 8-10 years for an eremetical/solitary vocation or some of the more extreme orders like the carthusians and lauras of hermits etc. and i am not including the years practicing the faith pre conversion. i think this because while a convert may have loved the Lord a lot, they need to demonstrate a fidelity and stability in that faith. they need to develop a sense of spiritual identiy.you cant do that in 18 months.

Edited by oremus1

Sponsa-Christi

There is no need to be so rude about it. grow up. 

I don't think Silent Joy was trying to be rude here. I think she was just trying to commiserate with the other people on this thread who've had similar experiences. (And actually, I got a good chuckle out of her post!)

I don't think Silent Joy was trying to be rude here. I think she was just trying to commiserate with the other people on this thread who've had similar experiences.

Yup.

I'm sorry, I don't always word my posts as could as I clearly.

(:smile4:)

and why do most converts 'practice' the faith for a few years before starting RCIA?

For me, my reason for entering RCIA was that I was already convinced and desired to enter the Catholic Church. I was practicing to become a 'practicing Catholic', if that makes sense.

For me, my reason for entering RCIA was that I was already convinced and desired to enter the Catholic Church. I was practicing to become a 'practicing Catholic', if that makes sense.

in general though, what does what does 'practicing' catholicism mean, before one becomes catholic or is doing the RCIA?

in general though, what does what does 'practicing' catholicism mean, before one becomes catholic or is doing the RCIA?

It depends on the person, but from my experience as a convert it might include - attending mass (not receiving communion), praying the rosary, perhaps adoration.  It might include learning about different Catholic devotions.  For many of us converts, it takes some time to discover the truth of the Catholic Church.  It also takes time to find a parish and become familiar with what it is to be "catholic."  I think for a lot of people it is a very gradual process. 

I know for me it meant making sure I went to Sunday mass, and often went to daily mass, while making a spiritual communion with the Lord since I could not yet receive him. It also meant integrating myself into the Catholic faith by doing a lot of spiritual reading, and a lot of praying (the rosary, LOTH, personal meditation, adoration, etc.).  Pretty much everything I do now as a Catholic, except receiving the Eucharist and going to Confession.

I think the rule in general for most active and contemplative orders is 2 years, and I think that is very wise (although most active communities will let you discern with them after 1 year and enter once you hit the 2yr mark). It gives us converts the appropriate time to really learn what it means to live a sacramental life, and to let ourselves have time to just be Catholic. And I think most communities know that converts in general are practicing their faith to the fullest possible measure before they enter the Church (especially those who think they have a religious vocation).