An Old School Catholic Message Board

Saintly Models For The Period Of Transition?

thepiaheart

Hi all!

I'm a recent college grad, and I'm looking for some saints to get to know as I walk in this awkward (to me--nothing prepared me to be working full-time  and have so much more free time on my hands than I did while as a student) period of transition. The only young model of someone in the world that I've found--about whom there is a lot to read, and who wrote, too--is Bl. Pier Giorgio. Can anyone think of others, in the 19th century+, maybe?

It strikes me that there are few lay canonized saints in the 20-30ish age range (or perhaps I just don't know any of them). :)

Well, not a saint, but St. Therese's sister Celine (Genevieve of the Holy Face) might be a good model.  She waited many years to enter Carmel, taking care of their father in the meantime.

Some suggestions include:

St. Kateri Tekakwitha

Dorothy Day

St. Catherine of Siena (third order, not religious)

St. Joseph the Worker

MarysLittleFlower

St Gemma lived in the world while wishing to enter a monastery... I like her a lot, she's a very special Saint :)

domenica_therese

I love this picture of St. Therese:

1800368_10152246205889108_1671813289_n.j

It is sitting on my desk. The hourglass she was holding was giving to her by her sister during her period of waiting in which she wanted to enter Carmel but was still too young.

Edited by domenica_therese

St Gemma lived in the world while wishing to enter a monastery... I like her a lot, she's a very special Saint :)

How could I forget one of my favorite saints?!?  St. Gemma, please forgive me!  :blush:

brandelynmarie

I love this picture of St. Therese:

1800368_10152246205889108_1671813289_n.j

It is sitting on my desk. The hourglass she was holding was giving to her by her sister during her period of waiting in which she wanted to enter Carmel but was still too young.

I had no idea that was the story behind her hourglass :love: ...was it Celine who gave it to her?