An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nuns That Don't Require You To Have Higher Education?

Blue.Rose

IgnatiusofLoyola

Many women's congregations require sisters to have a BA/BS degree, and a few also require or strongly suggest an MA.  I think what all of this suggests is that it is important not to make generalizations, but to ask particular congregations what their requrements are.  That is an important part of discernment. If one either does not meet the requirements of a community, and if one is not willing to fulfill those requirements, it may well be a good sign that one is not called there.

It should also be noted that communities which require degrees before entrance are also very likely to encourage and support further education by their members. For example, one congregation I know expects all its members to either have an MA in spirituality, religious studies, or theology--or to obtain one as soon as possible after entering/taking vows.

Having said this, another community which does not require college education is Mother Theresa's Missionaries of Charity.

Wow! Thanks for the info.

However, since Blue.Rose is in Australia, that might affect her choice of Communities. (Although, the Nashville Dominicans now have a presence in Australia.)

Questions for Blue. Rose: Would you prefer to stay in Australia? I'm sure you will go wherever God calls you, but particularly as you start the discernment process, you might have a preference about where to at least begin the process.

Also, do you have a sense of what spirituality you prefer? And, for an active Community, do you have a sense of whether you'd like to be a classroom teacher, nurse, or something else?

If you'd be willing to share this information with us, we might be able to better narrow down our suggestions, if only to make it easier at the beginning. (Many women here on VS have realized during the discernment process that they were actually called to a different spirituality than they first expected. However, everyone needs to start somewhere, and God will lead you as you go along.)

The community I'm interested in would send me overseas for a few years I know. I'm interested in social work , I just don't have the money, time or years to get that degree BEFORE becoming a Sister. Edited by Blue.Rose

Many women's congregations require sisters to have a BA/BS degree, and a few also require or strongly suggest an MA.  I think what all of this suggests is that it is important not to make generalizations, but to ask particular congregations what their requrements are.  That is an important part of discernment. If one either does not meet the requirements of a community, and if one is not willing to fulfill those requirements, it may well be a good sign that one is not called there.

It should also be noted that communities which require degrees before entrance are also very likely to encourage and support further education by their members. For example, one congregation I know expects all its members to either have an MA in spirituality, religious studies, or theology--or to obtain one as soon as possible after entering/taking vows.

Having said this, another community which does not require college education is Mother Theresa's Missionaries of Charity.

Can you give a list of some of the orders which require degrees, for the sake of the crowd?

I would be interested in a sample list as well. My initial feeling is this must be a requirement particular to progressive communities and institutes.

I don't know of a single traditional or "middle of the road" community that positively requires a college degree before entrance.

May I ask, did your community tell you you needed an education or are you feeling like you need one because of the educational level of the other sisters?  I would caution you in worrying about anything that the community didn't specifically talk to you about.  If you were required to have an education, I would think that it would have been addressed already.

I've actually never heard of a community requiring someone to have a degree before entrance.  I've also never heard of one requiring the discerner to be working and paying for a degree that will benefit the community.  If a community wants you to be educated in the future, they will have you educated after vows. 

Many communities require some "work or education" experience though.  This is to provide a place for maturation, development of work ethic, growth in virtue in everyday life, evidence of responsibility and grounding in the "real world."  It isn't to provide the community with a ready-made candidate who can jump into ministry without further study and experience.  

There are some women who see religious life as an easier way of life or a way of life that isn't subject to the same stresses as in the outside world or as an acceptable way to avoid decision making and adulthood.  Very simply stated, while their intentions are good, they are in need of maturity.  Work and/or education provide stability to grow in maturity and to continue to discern more responsibly.  

Thanks Sister Marie

The community recommended me do another year of college but I'm worried because there are limited places at the affordable college and others cost thousands of dollars.
I'm not sure I would be turned away if I can't get that extra year, but I just feel pressured.

Edited by Blue.Rose

I would have to list dozens of communities, so I won't but, yes, the communities I know that require degrees are generally what many would regard as more progressive OR middle of the road communities. I should explain that my interest in religious life is mainly as ac sultans and historian, so I generally know more about communities that have been in distance for longer periods of time, rather than those that are relatively new. This is a fact, not a judgment. I personally am very glad that there is a wide diversity of forms and expressions of religious life, because it believe God wants to reach people where they are. And the same spirituality and form does not meet everyone'a needs.

could you give perhaps a single example of what you would consider a middle of the road community that has degree requirements? I don't know every middle of the road community on planet earth ... but honestly, I am rather surprised that in all the years I have been plugged into "discernment world" no one in my acquaintance irl or online has ever mentioned such a thing.  May be selection bias ...

Edited by Lilllabettt

The community recommended me do another year of college but I'm worried because there are limited places at the affordable college and others cost thousands of dollars. 
I'm not sure I would be turned away if I can't get that extra year, but I just feel pressured. 

They probably recommended it, because they want you to finish what you started. This way you have a sense of closure and already have credits if you need to study further. Just be frank, and tell them that you cannot go to college, because you cannot afford to right now.

could you give perhaps a single example of what you would consider a middle of the road community that has degree requirements? I don't know every middle of the road community on planet earth ... but honestly, I am rather surprised that in all the years I have been plugged into "discernment world" no one in my acquaintance irl or online has ever mentioned such a thing.  May be selection bias ...

Good question. Most communities first get to know a candidate, and then decide how their talents would fit into the mission of the community, and if they need further education for it. 

I suspect that many on this Phorum and I would have different opinions on what a middle of the road community is. I say this because, on other occasions, any community affiliated with LCWR has been dismissed, regardless of the fact that its constitution by definition has been approved by the Vatican, and has likely been in existence for a long time.

I personally believe that, when Jesus said that "my Father's mansion has many rooms," he was celebrating the diversity of ways in which people are touched by, and glorify, God. So can we celebrate this, rather than dismiss this and be critical.

Having said that, some communities that would have real difficulty accepting candidates without degrees today are the IHMs (of both Michigan and Scranton), the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas, the Dominicans of Hope and of Adrian (I think it's true of others, but can't be sure), and the Sisters of St.Joseph of Carondelet. There are others. These communities MIGHT accept someone without a degree, but it would be exceptional.

Nunsuch,

There is some confusion about the nature of the LCWR, as Sister Marie has previously said. The LCWR has no authority over individual communities, not to the extent where they can police their constitutions or way of life etc.

The loss of common mission, and community life, in a lot of communities is a cause for concern, since it's led to the decline of religious life in America.

Suppose a community's mission is to teach, and they decide they would rather work at JC Penny's what do you think happens to the mission?  or if people live in apartments instead of in common, the community can fall apart, since the sisters do not interact much.

My superior is a former member of the LCWR and she knows what the issues are.

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/106865-middle-of-the-road-communities/

Hi NunSuch --- in the above thread are some examples of what I think most people in this community would consider "middle of the road" - and a definition:

These communities usually have a modified habit, and may or may not be members of the CMSWR. They don't have an explicit "political" alignment. Their formation programs incorporate more recent advances in understanding of psychology. Compared with more traditional communities, there are usually fewer restrictions on communication with people outside the community. There are fewer things which require the permission of a superior. The way they live religious life is not as "secret." There is less emphasis on the centrality of religious decorum ... on the other hand, these Sisters live in community, have some new vocations, are orthodox, practice devotions to Mary and the Eucharist, and have a traditional interpretation of the vows and of what a religious vocation is.

I know at least some of the communities on that thread belong to the LCWR, or both the LCWR and CMSWR.

Anyways ...

This is from the Adrian Dominicans website: http://www.adriansisters.org/becoming_dominican/faq.html

Q. Do I need a college education? A. No. We ask that a woman have a high school education and minimally two years of
college or working experience after high school before applying to enter.

Savvy, yes, I know what the issues are, and all I am saying is that there is a huge range of communities in LCWR.  As for "common mission," some communities have never had that (Sisters of Mercy, Sisters of St. Joseph, many others).  So not having it now is not a betrayal of their tradition in any way.  Others have reinterpreted their charism and mission (not the same thing) in light of modern circumstances.  

While I realize that wearing a habit is important to some people, and perhaps the majority on this Phorum, it is not for everyone, and I don't think that is indicative of one's seriousness of spiritual purpose. My point is: thank God (literally!) that there is a diversity of expressions of religious life, so that everyone called can find a place where they can best respond to that call.  Having visited and worked with literally dozens of religious congregations, I have tremendous respect for them all.  I have also gone on retreat with contemplatives both habited and unhabited. They are all remarkable women.

A study is coming out in April, from Oxford University Press, that indicates about 50% of those entering religious life are doing so in communities on the more traditional end of the spectrum, and about 50% on the more progressive end of the spectrum (I really don't like these terms but, for want of a better shorthand).  The reason that the more traditional communities APPEAR to be getting more candidates is that there are fewer such communities, and so there are fewer options for those looking in that direction. [And, of course, some are not attracting any candidates; the Sisters of St. Francis for the Dying in California, for instance, had their last living member die about 18 months ago.]  Meanwhile, those entering more "progressive" communities are doing so across a larger spectrum of congregations (again not all are attracting members, but some are).

I hope it is clear that i am not here to cause trouble or to raise hackles, but to listen, to occasionally participate, and sometimes to just offer a slightly different perspective. If that is not appropriate, I will return to lurker status.  Silence is also good.  :saint2:

Nunsuch,

My community would not fit into established definitions of conservative/progressive, even though we wear a habit, and follow the essentials of religious life. The diocese could not figure us out, so labeled us as radical. We are just faithful to the church. What we are trying to change is canon law on persons with disabilities, since the church is not flexible when it comes to accepting those with disabilities into religious life. We are living proof that persons with mild disabilities can have a vocation and life the live.

Certain congregations might not have a common mission, but when communities stray from their original charisms, things can go haywire, because they were not meant to do something else.