An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nuns That Don't Require You To Have Higher Education?

Blue.Rose

I'm starting to think I will be turned away from my desired order because I don't have a good enough qualification. They are an active order and many of the Sisters hold multiple Bachelors degrees. I can't afford University in my country and can't go into debt - by doing so I would be well into my 30's before I've finished paying it off so I don't want to get a degree.
So... If I get turned down, what other options do I have? What orders that aren't 100% cloistered could I join? (I want to work not just pray)

Edited by Blue.Rose

Even within the same Order, individual communities may have varying educational requirements. In my state, when I was trying to be interested in Active Orders, one Dominican community said that I should have college experience (even if it was just a cooking class :P) and another had no problem with the fact that I only had a highschool education. If one community turns you down, you don't have to give up on that particular Order.

BlueRose,

I have a background in journalism. The community I joined has a mission in special learning needs. The community decided that it's best for me to go back to school for special education and they are paying for it.

Often, if a community requires its sisters to be qualified in something, and they do not have that beforehand, they do train or educate them. It's because whatever you do, will benefit the community.

domenica_therese

Yeah, a lot of orders with active apostolates that require specific skills will send the sisters to college after the novitiate. Generally if they ask sisters to go to college first it would be because of the formation and personal growth that often takes place during college; some sisters are called to enter right after highschool and do fine, others need the four years. I know I did.

The only qualification you need is to be called by God to be there, and that's something you can't earn or buy! So don't even worry. :)

Edited by domenica_therese

IgnatiusofLoyola

I'm starting to think I will be turned away from my desired order because I don't have a good enough qualification. They are an active order and many of the Sisters hold multiple Bachelors degrees. I can't afford University in my country and can't go into debt - by doing so I would be well into my 30's before I've finished paying it off so I don't want to get a degree.
So... If I get turned down, what other options do I have? What orders that aren't 100% cloistered could I join? (I want to work not just pray)

From what I have read on Phatmass, I get the feeling that a Community that REQUIRES you to have a Bachelor's before you enter is an exception. Certainly, there are some well-known Communities that prefer candidates to have some college education or a college degree before they enter, but when I have read the vocation stories of the women who have been accepted as postulants, it seems that every class has exceptions to this, and includes women entering right out of high school, with no college eductaion. Even the "big name" Communities with large entering classes still seem to look at candidates on a case by case basis.

The Communities of active Religious Sisters that I have heard of take care of providing the needed education for their Sisters. If you live in a country where ANY college education would be expensive, then that is something to tell the Community. I can think of several reasons why Communities might prefer candidates with some life experience past high school, including at least some college. I suspect one of these reasons is that having some college eduation shows that you are genuinely interested in getting a college education and you can handle college courses.

If it were me, I would investigate and discern with the Communities that most attracted me without regard to the Communities' preferences regarding collge. But, when you correspond, or visit the Community, be honest that college in your country is very expensive. In the U.S., most women have two-year community colleges available to them, which provide college education at a very low cost. You want to make sure that the Community with whom you corresponding knows that an inexpensive community college is not an option for you, because the Community might not realize that inexpensive college is not an option in your country.

And, if for whatever reason, a Community rejects your application or discourages you from applying, then that might be a sign from God that this is not the Community where he wants you. One of my friends (now an active Religious Sister in a Dominican Community in England) was immediately turned down by an active Dominican Commmity in the U.S.--although it was not due to her lack of education. She told me that although the rejection hurt at the time, she realized that in a way she was glad, because it meant that she did not end up spending time discerning with a Community who ultimately would turn down her application. She could spend her time investigating possible Communities where she might be called--and she ended up with a Community she loves, and who loves her.

Hope this helps. Know that all of us here on VS are praying for you.

The Little Sisters of the Poor are one community that does not require a college degree.  We do ask for at least two years experience after high school, either work experience or education.  There are several communities across Australia, so feel free to look us up!

God bless your search.

Many communities ask for 2 years of college OR two years of work experience. So even though college might not be an option for you working may be. 

Some communities prefer you to have a degree prior to entering (especially if you are already working towards one) but understand it might not be feasible. I was told by a community to finish my degree first before pursuing religious life particularly because I was not accruing any more debt by doing so.

I have 2 years college experience and qualifications but not at a university level. And by the time I'm eligible to enter I would have 2 years work experience too.
I'm still waiting to hear back from my community before I start looking at other orders but it's helpful to know the ones I can at least look into joining.

Edited by Blue.Rose

The Little Sisters of the Poor are one community that does not require a college degree. We do ask for at least two years experience after high school, either work experience or education. There are several communities across Australia, so feel free to look us up!
God bless your search.

Thanks, I will have a look!

I'm pretty sure these do not require bachelor's degrees:

http://www.saintbenedict.com/

http://www.sisterservants.org/

http://www.littlesistersofthepoor.org/

http://ssfpa.org/

http://www.altonfranciscans.org/

http://franciscansisterspeoria.org/

http://norbertinesisters.org/

Actually, now that I think of it, I can think of more communities that DON'T require a degree than do.

The Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal are known for not requiring anything beyond a high school diploma.  However, they do require that their postulants be 21 before entering so I imagine that a candidate would have had some college experience or work experience.  They are my favorite Sisters, too.

Also, you might check into the Religious Sisters of Mercy in Alma, MI.  They have a convent in Sydney, Australia, as well.  They don't require that someone enter with a college degree because they send their Sisters for higher education.  They are professionals in their fields according to their charism.  They have doctors, nurses, administrators, managers, etc.

http://www.franciscansisterscfr.com/

http://www.rsmofalma.org/

PhuturePriest

This is a rather strange anomaly I've noticed between male and female communities. Male communities that require you to have a bachelor's degree generally always say you must get it beforehand. The Dominicans, for instance, require men to get bachelor's degrees before joining if they intend to pursue through the seminary as well. For brothers, they still require at least an associate's degree. But there are also communities like the Jesuits, who will bring you through eight years of seminary and a master's degree in whatever you and your superior decide you should get, all on the community's dime.

Anyway, just trust in God. I would always worry "What if the community I'm called to join wants a degree, and I'm not smart enough to get it, or even afford it?" Then I found communities that only required high school diplomas, and I thought "What if I can't get my high school diploma?" I then found a community that doesn't require a high school diploma. I'm not really discerning the religious life anymore (I'm more centered towards the diocesan priesthood nowadays), but the point is, God really does bend over backwards for us. Every fear that I ever had was always dispelled, and you shouldn't worry so much. If God is calling you to religious life, you will enter, no matter the obstacles that should bar your way completely.

IgnatiusofLoyola

Even "big name" communities like the DSMME's and the Nashville Dominicans don't require a Bachelor's degree before entering. Granted, most of their postulants tend to have completed some college or have at least a Bachelor's degree. However, every entering class does seem to have a few postulants who are entering right out of high school. So, as large and selective as these Communities are, they are still obviously considering candidates on a case-by-case basis. I am very happy to see that despite the size of their postulant classes, the process of deciding whom to admit continues to be personal.

However, since Blue.Rose is in Australia, that might affect her choice of Communities. (Although, the Nashville Dominicans now have a presence in Australia.)

Questions for Blue. Rose: Would you prefer to stay in Australia? I'm sure you will go wherever God calls you, but particularly as you start the discernment process, you might have a preference about where to at least begin the process.

Also, do you have a sense of what spirituality you prefer? And, for an active Community, do you have a sense of whether you'd like to be a classroom teacher, nurse, or something else?

If you'd be willing to share this information with us, we might be able to better narrow down our suggestions, if only to make it easier at the beginning. (Many women here on VS have realized during the discernment process that they were actually called to a different spirituality than they first expected. However, everyone needs to start somewhere, and God will lead you as you go along.)

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

Many women's congregations require sisters to have a BA/BS degree, and a few also require or strongly suggest an MA.  I think what all of this suggests is that it is important not to make generalizations, but to ask particular congregations what their requrements are.  That is an important part of discernment. If one either does not meet the requirements of a community, and if one is not willing to fulfill those requirements, it may well be a good sign that one is not called there.

It should also be noted that communities which require degrees before entrance are also very likely to encourage and support further education by their members. For example, one congregation I know expects all its members to either have an MA in spirituality, religious studies, or theology--or to obtain one as soon as possible after entering/taking vows.

Having said this, another community which does not require college education is Mother Theresa's Missionaries of Charity.

Many women's congregations require sisters to have a BA/BS degree, and a few also require or strongly suggest an MA.  I think what all of this suggests is that it is important not to make generalizations, but to ask particular congregations what their requrements are.  That is an important part of discernment. If one either does not meet the requirements of a community, and if one is not willing to fulfill those requirements, it may well be a good sign that one is not called there.

It should also be noted that communities which require degrees before entrance are also very likely to encourage and support further education by their members. For example, one congregation I know expects all its members to either have an MA in spirituality, religious studies, or theology--or to obtain one as soon as possible after entering/taking vows.

Having said this, another community which does not require college education is Mother Theresa's Missionaries of Charity.