An Old School Catholic Message Board

Tyburn Nuns; Extroverts Make The Best Nuns

Thijs

AuthorOfMyLife

Ouch, some of the comments are very harsh (for example, saying that these nuns are wasting their lives and should be doing something other than "just praying"). God bless those nuns! Nobody knows how much good they do through their prayers!

That said, I hope that introverts make good nuns, too! I for one am a pretty extreme introvert!  :rabbit: (<--- that's me!)

Ouch, some of the comments are very harsh (for example, saying that these nuns are wasting their lives and should be doing something other than "just praying"). God bless those nuns! Nobody knows how much good they do through their prayers!

That said, I hope that introverts make good nuns, too! I for one am a pretty extreme introvert!  :rabbit: (<--- that's me!)

Well, but, :rabbit: + :rabbit: =.....and we can't have that in the convent.

IgnatiusofLoyola

Well, but, :rabbit: + :rabbit: =.....and we can't have that in the convent.

Even rabbits don't reproduce unless one is male and one is female. So, unless it's a VERY unusual convent, I suspect it's okay to be a :rabbit:.  ;)

Even rabbits don't reproduce unless one is male and one is female. So, unless it's a VERY unusual convent, I suspect it's okay to be a :rabbit:.  ;)

:rotfl2:

Yah, I thought of that after posting. Too late.

IgnatiusofLoyola

:rotfl2:

Yah, I thought of that after posting. Too late.

That's the downside of not being able to edit posts. I understand why the ability to edit posts is limited on Phatmass. But, as someone who almost always discovers something I want to change only after I make a post, it's tough sometimes. I'm also the person who only thinks of the witty comeback half an hour later. :hehe2:

AuthorOfMyLife

Perhaps I should have said THIS is me:  :paperbag:

At any rate, what I mean when I say I'm an introvert is that I love people VERY much...but I work best with them in small-ish groups, and for small-ish periods of time or I end up like this:  :stars: 

(On a side note, I had no idea there were so many of these little yellow guys to decorate with! Some of them are really cute and clever!) 

Perhaps I should have said THIS is me:  :paperbag:

Nooooooooo, that is me.  Unless there are two of us.  :)

I'm very quiet, but I enjoy being around people.  My personality type is closet extrovert. 

And this is me:   :alien: I am an introvert from Jupiter, exiled to this planet until my acne clears up. I could be here a while.

I asked some Discalced Carmelites about the problem of my personality (the introverted part of it, not the Jupiterian part). I was told that many of the Sisters do tend to be more talkative (at the appropriate times), but everyone is unique and it is okay that some are just very quiet and reserved; it is dangerous to start comparing yourself with other women in the cloister. You're you and that's fine. I was also worried that my desire to be a nun might just be my introversion rather than a true vocation, and they said that grace builds on nature, so it is possible that God gave me an introverted nature that needs to be quiet and alone just because this was the vocation tat He intended for me.

Two cents.   :idontknow:

AuthorOfMyLife

Nooooooooo, that is me.  Unless there are two of us.  :)

I'm very quiet, but I enjoy being around people.  My personality type is closet extrovert. 

I think there are two of us. You sound like me! My days revolve around Morning Masses, audiobooks, sewing scapulars, drawing paper dolls, and trying to write short stories, so I spend a lot of time by myself (and I don't mind). I enjoy being with people in small doses (like the local chorale I have joined).

And this is me:   :alien: I am an introvert from Jupiter, exiled to this planet until my acne clears up. I could be here a while.

I asked some Discalced Carmelites about the problem of my personality (the introverted part of it, not the Jupiterian part). I was told that many of the Sisters do tend to be more talkative (at the appropriate times), but everyone is unique and it is okay that some are just very quiet and reserved; it is dangerous to start comparing yourself with other women in the cloister. You're you and that's fine. I was also worried that my desire to be a nun might just be my introversion rather than a true vocation, and they said that grace builds on nature, so it is possible that God gave me an introverted nature that needs to be quiet and alone just because this was the vocation tat He intended for me.

Two cents.   :idontknow:

Beautiful point! We have to accept ourselves as we are. I have had the exact same fear, namely--"Am I interested in cloistered life because I'm an introvert and don't have the courage to get out in the world?" It's a scary thought! But the thought of grace building on nature is very comforting.