An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Ten Commandments -- What Is The Meaning Of Each?

southern california guy

Would you call THE PIETA BY MICHELANGELO a graven image , I think not
Nor is the statue worshiped as a false god

Edited by add

Would you call THE PIETA BY MICHELANGELO a graven image , I think not
Nor is the statue worshiped as a false god

Of course I would. It's a graven image. Likewise the statue of Lincoln in Washington. Likewise the little head I made out of Silly Putty.

Once again, a graven image is not necessarily an object of worship. You'll be able to understand what I'm saying if you look up the word "graven."

Of course I would. It's a graven image. Likewise the statue of Lincoln in Washington. Likewise the little head I made out of Silly Putty.

Once again, a graven image is not necessarily an object of worship. You'll be able to understand what I'm saying if you look up the word "graven."

look up "dumbass"

southern california guy

I have to admit that I am confused by the first Commandment.

(Exodus 20:4-6)

â€œYou shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.

Is it the "image" that is being worshipped??  Or is it the god that the image represents?  It sounds to me like it really means bowing down to and serving anything other than God.

The Catholic church is famous for weeping statues, bleeding statues, etc.  But the statues don't really represent other gods.  Maybe the strongest argument might be praying to Mary.  But still Mary is only an intermediary between men and God.  She is not a separate god.

I have to admit that I am starting to agree with the Catholic interpretation.

Edited by southern california guy

I have to admit that I am confused by the first Commandment.

(Exodus 20:4-6)
“You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.

Is it the "image" that is being worshipped?? Or is it the god that the image represents? It sounds to me like it really means bowing down to and serving anything other than God.
The Catholic church is famous for weeping statues, bleeding statues, etc. But the statues don't really represent other gods. Maybe the strongest argument might be praying to Mary. But still Mary is only an intermediary between men and God. She is not a separate god.

I have to admit that I am starting to agree with the Catholic interpretation.

So, THE PIETA BY MICHELANGELO is not bad?

southern california guy

How about we move on to the second Commandment "Thou shall not take the Lord's name in vain."

I've heard the protestants argue that it just means that you should not use the word "God" as a cuss word. But I think it means much more than that.

I don't think it means just irreverent use of the "name" (What name? There are over 25 names for God -- or the gods-- in the Old Testament), I think it means swearing something to God. Like you do when you take an oath or a vow.

Hillbilly 10

1. Ain’t but One God.

2. Honor yer Ma and Pa.

3. No tellin’ tales or gossipin’.

4. Git yer hide ta Sunday meetin’.

5. Ain’t notin’ come before the Lord.

6. No foolin’ with another fellers gal.

7. No killin’, sept fer critters.

8. Quit yer foul mouthin.

9. No swipin’ yer kin folks stuff.

10. Don’t be hankerin’ fer it neither.

southern california guy

Hillbilly 10

1. Ain’t but One God.

2. Honor yer Ma and Pa.

3. No tellin’ tales or gossipin’.

4. Git yer hide ta Sunday meetin’.

5. Ain’t notin’ come before the Lord.

6. No foolin’ with another fellers gal.

7. No killin’, sept fer critters.

8. Quit yer foul mouthin.

9. No swipin’ yer kin folks stuff.

10. Don’t be hankerin’ fer it neither.

Great, I like that!

4. HONOR THY FATHER AND MOTHER

Meaning: don't poo-poo everything they say, think , or do. Mothers (and fathers) will always love you till you don't know what to do

• 2 weeks later...

We need to interpret the Old Testament in light of the New:

As Jesus said, "'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

2. You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.

Words have power. Sometimes we say things that we don't mean. Be aware of your words. Are we really asking God to curse the offensive object, person, or situation to hell? When we swear to God, what power does that have? "Let your no mean no and your yes mean yes." (Mt. 5:37) Whether it be using curse words or swearing an oath to God, both situations involve empty words and disrespecting the power of God.