An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Ten Commandments -- What Is The Meaning Of Each?

southern california guy

southern california guy

What do each of the Ten Commandments each mean?  I've actually argued with friends about the meaning of certain commandments.  

The one that I have argued the most about (With Protestant friends) is "Thou shalt not take the lords name in vain".  I argue that "taking the Lords name in vain" means primarily that you do not take a vow in the name of the Lord that you do not keep.  My friends would argue that it simply meant that you don't use the word "God" as a cuss word.

The other commandment that I've debated is "Thou shalt not kill".  Some people argue that it means "murder" rather than "kill".  And they argue that you are not breaking the commandment if you kill somebody in self-defense, or in defending your family or country.

Then there is the commandment that says you should not commit adultery.  The Pharisees debated this one with Jesus, but I cannot remember it ever being mentioned at Mass.  Truthfully I don't think that Jesus would approve of modern Catholic annulments.  But I have had people almost physically attack me in person when I disagreed with them about it -- so I know it is an extremely emotional issue.

So anyway here I will list the Ten Commandments, and we can debate and discuss each.

1.  I AM THE LORD THY GOD: THOU SHALT NOT HAVE STRANGE GODS BEFORE ME.

2. THOU SHALT NOT TAKE THE NAME OF THE LORD THY GOD IN VAIN.

3. REMEMBER THOU KEEP HOLY THE SABBATH DAY.

4. HONOR THY FATHER AND MOTHER.

5. THOU SHALL NOT KILL.

6. THOU SHALT NOT COMMIT ADULTERY.

7. THOU SHALT NOT STEAL.

8. THOU SHALT NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS AGAINST THY NEIGHBOR.

9. THOU SHALT NOT COVET THY NEIGHBOR'S WIFE.

10. THOU SHALT NOT COVET THY NEIGHBOR'S GOODS.

I just say a video on youtube saying the Catholic 9th Commandment was "Thou Shalt Not Covet Thy Neighbor's House." Never heard that one before...

southern california guy

I just say a video on youtube saying the Catholic 9th Commandment was "Thou Shalt Not Covet Thy Neighbor's House." Never heard that one before...

That is pretty funny, but it is true.

Maybe I started this thread off in the wrong tone. I just thought it would be interesting to discuss and debate the ten commandments from a Catholic point of view.

Not The Philosopher

The commandments should be viewed more as broad categories than very specific injunctions. So, for instance, in the case of the second one, I'd say that both you and your friend are correct.

KnightofChrist

What do each of the Ten Commandments each mean?  I've actually argued with friends about the meaning of certain commandments.  

The one that I have argued the most about (With Protestant friends) is "Thou shalt not take the lords name in vain".  I argue that "taking the Lords name in vain" means primarily that you do not take a vow in the name of the Lord that you do not keep.  My friends would argue that it simply meant that you don't use the word "God" as a cuss word.

You and your friends are both right. Taking the Lord's name in vain, is using the Lord's name in any way that makes it meaningless, or without revernce.

The other commandment that I've debated is "Thou shalt not kill".  Some people argue that it means "murder" rather than "kill".  And they argue that you are not breaking the commandment if you kill somebody in self-defense, or in defending your family or country.

The Hebrew word "kill" used in the Bible when it records the Ten Commandments does mean "to lie in wait and kill" which is murder.

Then there is the commandment that says you should not commit adultery.  The Pharisees debated this one with Jesus, but I cannot remember it ever being mentioned at Mass.  Truthfully I don't think that Jesus would approve of modern Catholic annulments.  But I have had people almost physically attack me in person when I disagreed with them about it -- so I know it is an extremely emotional issue.

I'm afraid that it does seem annulments are too numerous and widely given.

KnightofChrist

That is pretty funny, but it is true.

Maybe I started this thread off in the wrong tone. I just thought it would be interesting to discuss and debate the ten commandments from a Catholic point of view.

Well traditionally the 9th Commandment in the Church has been "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors wife." While Protestants lump coveting the wife of another with coveting the property of another. I like it better when the two are not lump together, the wife is not a piece of property and should be set apart from property. In turn though many Protestants will accuse Catholics of dropping the Protestant version of the 2nd Commandment of "Thou shalt not have any graven images", graven images are false idol gods, so "Thou shalt not have any other gods before Me" does in fact include graven images.

I'm afraid that it does seem annulments are too numerous and widely given.

I fear even more that too many invalid marriages are being permitted. God help those meant to guard against such things. They have much to answer for.

KnightofChrist

I fear even more that too many invalid marriages are being permitted. God help those meant to guard against such things. They have much to answer for.

Agreed.

I left a comment on the video saying the have the wrong Catholic commandments and if they are going to try to bash the Church then at least have their fakes straight.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Well traditionally the 9th Commandment in the Church has been "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors wife." While Protestants lump coveting the wife of another with coveting the property of another. I like it better when the two are not lump together, the wife is not a piece of property and should be set apart from property. In turn though many Protestants will accuse Catholics of dropping the Protestant version of the 2nd Commandment of "Thou shalt not have any graven images", graven images are false idol gods, so "Thou shalt not have any other gods before Me" does in fact include graven images.

What does the word graven mean. Has it something to do with grave sin,gravity of sin, grave disorder? What does the word graven mean because i honestly don't know what the word means entirely or the context. And i know the likening of this commandment to the one in gensis, but in genisis it also says thou shalt not carve graven images of anything upon the earth or in the heavens in the sense of statues, and God is above heaven and earth yes? And i think the word is carve, in the 10 commandments it just say thou shalt not have graven images and leaves out the carve word although the carving commandment remains, it goes to a whole new level yes?

Onward Christian souls.

Jesus iz LORD.

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

KnightofChrist

A graven image is an idol, a false god, a statue that is carved, sculpted, or somehow created by man and worshiped by man as a god. The Golden Calf is one such example. Pagans and those Hebrews that fell from the true faith created graven images/idols/gods, and they would create such idols that were from the heavens, under the earth (hell), from the oceans or any other place since there was a god for just about any place and everything.

Edited by KnightofChrist

There are some deeply rooted reasons why we follow the commandments in Deutronomy and Protestants use the ones in Exodus.

I also agree that we are doing way too many invalid marriages.

southern california guy

There are some deeply rooted reasons why we follow the commandments in Deutronomy and Protestants use the ones in Exodus.

I also agree that we are doing way too many invalid marriages.

I don't really understand the differences.  The commandments in Deuteronomy and Exodus are almost virtually identical.

You're talking about the "coveting" Commandments?

EXODUS

â€œYou shall not covet your neighbor's house;

“you shall not covet your neighbor's wife,

“or his male servant, or his female servant, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor's.”

DEUTERONOMY

“‘And you shall not desire your neighbor's house, his field,

“‘And you shall not covet your neighbor's wife.

“or his male servant, or his female servant, his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor's.’

The Catholic church decided to split the "coveting" Commandment into two parts.  And they joined the first two Commandments (I am your God. Don't worship idols) together as one?

Edited by southern california guy

southern california guy

I find the first Commandment curious.

The first part is clear:

“I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.

“You shall have no other gods before me.

The second part is a bit surprising to me:

“You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.

If you carve the image -- but don't worship it -- are you still breaking the rules?  It sure sounds to me that way.  A "graven image" means an image carved out of stone or wood.

If you carve the image -- but don't worship it -- are you still breaking the rules? (dont think so)  It sure sounds to me that way.  A "graven image" means an image carved out of stone or wood.

doesn't  "graven image" mean an object (such as a statue) that is worshipped as a god or in place of a god.  What does the material have to do with anything?