An Old School Catholic Message Board

Books On Religious Life For My Parents To Read?

loveletslive

I'm applying to enter a religious community and would like to send my parents some books to read to help them better/more fully understand consecrated life, and also so they they will also be able to better explain what I am doing to the people at work and at our parish that they'll be encountering over the next few months as word spreads before I enter.

I am going to definitely send them a copy of "And You Are Christ's" by Fr. Thomas Dubay. Any other recommendations?

Would Religious Vocation: An Unnecessary Mystery by Rev. Fr. Richard Butler O.P. be helpful for them to read or no? I haven't actually read it so I'm not sure if that would have helpful content for a parent to read?

Thanks!

I'm applying to enter a religious community and would like to send my parents some books to read to help them better/more fully understand consecrated life, and also so they they will also be able to better explain what I am doing to the people at work and at our parish that they'll be encountering over the next few months as word spreads before I enter.

I am going to definitely send them a copy of "And You Are Christ's" by Fr. Thomas Dubay. Any other recommendations?

Would Religious Vocation: An Unnecessary Mystery by Rev. Fr. Richard Butler O.P. be helpful for them to read or no? I haven't actually read it so I'm not sure if that would have helpful content for a parent to read?

Thanks!

Vita Consecrata by John Paul II

The Meaning of Vocation by JP2 (one of my favorite books on vocations!)

A Right to be Merry by Mother Mary Francis, PCC (another favorite)

The Foundations of Religious Life: Revisiting the Vision by CMSWR

Vocation in Black and White (Order of Preacher Nuns tell their vocation story)

I know nothing about the book that you listed except that I ordered it once and never read it.  Somehow, I accidentally got rid of it and never saw it again.  :(

Sr Mary Catharine OP

No, I don't think it would help your parents. It's more of a theological explication of the theology of vocation.

Have you shared the vocation literature from your community? That would probably help the most at this point.

Someone needs to write a Dummies Book for Parents of Postulants! :-)

No, I don't think it would help your parents. It's more of a theological explication of the theology of vocation.

Have you shared the vocation literature from your community? That would probably help the most at this point.

They say Dominicans have written a few books.... *cough cough*

Ancilla Domini

"Come and Follow Me," by Fr. Stefano Manelli. (Lots of useful information for parents - I'm going to recommend that my mother read it; I think she would find it extremely helpful/interesting.)

Ancilla Domini

You have just won the "Best Idea of 2014" award. Congratulations. ;)

Hey, I vote for that....The Dummies Guide to Entering the Convent - a guide for those who wish to, their family and friends.

Okay, so here we have the joint pham project for 2014.

Who is going to start writing it?

(Sorry for the hijack).

domenica_therese

My favorite book to recommend to people is Discerning the Will of God by Father Timothy Gallagher. This isn't specifically about religious life, in fact, it has practically nothing about what religious life is like; however, it might be useful if they are having difficulty with the concept of how one hears and follows the voice of God -- and that it is possible to do so with certainty!

I would recommend showing them the Light of Love movie the Imagine Sisters did recently. I think that, when it comes to religious life, showing does far more than telling ever could.

Edited by domenica_therese

My favorite book to recommend to people is Discerning the Will of God by Father Timothy Gallagher. This isn't specifically about religious life, in fact, it has practically nothing about what religious life is like; however, it might be useful if they are having difficulty with the concept of how one hears and follows the voice of God -- and that it is possible to do so with certainty!

I would recommend showing them the Light of Love movie the Imagine Sisters did recently. I think that, when it comes to religious life, showing does far more than telling ever could.

they have seen light of love and they have a copy of Beloved (but they haven't watched it yet)! i think light of love was really helpful! thanks for the book recommendation too - adding that to my amazon list :)

Edited by loveletslive