An Old School Catholic Message Board

Divorce, Remarriage, And The Church

NotreDame

What about protestant marriages?  I know Good catholic boys that married the love of their life, who happened to have been divorced from a crazy liberal presbyterian divinity professor.  She was denied an anullment.    He raises his kids in the church, but he doesn't / can't go to communion.

Maybe you could say he shouldn't marry her, but I don't see how protestant marriages are so written in stone, especially since they believe in divorce, it would seem to be a fundamentally different compact than Catholic marriage and therefore not binding.

Thoughts?

Basilisa Marie

What about protestant marriages?  I know Good catholic boys that married the love of their life, who happened to have been divorced from a crazy liberal presbyterian divinity professor.  She was denied an anullment.    He raises his kids in the church, but he doesn't / can't go to communion.

Maybe you could say he shouldn't marry her, but I don't see how protestant marriages are so written in stone, especially since they believe in divorce, it would seem to be a fundamentally different compact than Catholic marriage and therefore not binding.

Thoughts?

Did she appeal it? You can appeal it.  It's a long and rough process, but you can appeal it all the way to Rome. 

It's not about the denomination, it's about the baptism. That's the way sacraments work, and that's why we don't re-baptize people when they convert. And sadly, you can believe divorce is a thing that's possible and not qualify - what counts is whether or not you ever intend to get a divorce if things get rough at the time you were married. 

• 2 weeks later...

Basically I would propose it comes down to the couple seeking separation be honest. 

It can be demonstrated if the outside requirements were met: both were baptized in the Trinity. 

Both intended to become one. 

And now both want out. 

It's really for the couple to decide how they want to approach it.  Catholic marriage tribunals can and have erred.  They are not infallible and can be tricked.  So it is important that the couple themselves be honest and know what paths are before them. 

Perhaps the question should be what does God do to those who openly disregard His commandments while still seeking a relationship with Him?  I suppose I might point to David in the Bible who did something similar and it seemed his life was not as blessed as it may have been had he perhaps kept to his first wife.  This is a very tough and real subject for many and I do not pretend to know the answer but these are some thoughts on the matter that may or may not be completely off. 

May God guide and protect those in this difficult situation~

E