An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm Becoming A Sister! Any Advice?

Blue.Rose

Hi I've just joined these 'phorums'. I noticed other people who were entering Religious life or are considering it use this website so I joined hoping it can be useful for the time leading up to when I (hopefully) enter. I'm not too comfortable saying which order I'm from yet but I just found out I can start my process for the life next year.
I'm just planning on spending my year working part time, daily mass when possible, trying to save a little money (not sure if I have to pay a dowry yet but will find out soon) and today just donated most of my clothes to the St Vincent de Paul shop.
Anyone else in a similar process? :)

Spem in alium

Hi I've just joined these 'phorums'. I noticed other people who were entering Religious life or are considering it use this website so I joined hoping it can be useful for the time leading up to when I (hopefully) enter. I'm not too comfortable saying which order I'm from yet but I just found out I can start my process for the life next year.
I'm just planning on spending my year working part time, daily mass when possible, trying to save a little money (not sure if I have to pay a dowry yet but will find out soon) and today just donated most of my clothes to the St Vincent de Paul shop.
Anyone else in a similar process? :)

Hi Blue.Rose! Nice to have you here - and congratulations! Very happy for you! I noticed you mentioned Vinnies...you wouldn't happen to be an Aussie, would you? ;)

I am also discerning religious life, but am not as far along in my process as you seem to be. There is one congregation I'm most interested in, but need to work on paying off my student loans and finishing most of my study before I can begin aspirancy with them. 

ETA: Aussie question answered: just took a look at your profile. Nice to have another Aussie around :)

Edited by Spem in alium

domenica_therese

Welcome! I am in a somewhat similar position (know the call; know the place; waiting for entrance) but I have completed all the necessary formal steps for entrance aside from acquiring a few things and crossing the threshold. My entrance date (God willing) is this year. I am also finishing up at a University right now, so I haven't begun getting rid of my possessions just yet. I've been trying to stop accumulating them, but God seems to have a sense of humor because all my things keep breaking in half, sprouting outrageous holes, or getting lost! So it will be a miracle if I'm even left with anything to dispose of when August comes :)

It sounds like you are still in the application process? Or did I misread?

Yes spem in alium I'm Aussie :)

Domenica_therese - I'm not in the formal application yet, I'm finding out soon what will happen though. I'm the first person from my country who will enter the order so it's a bit complicated because lots of people need to find out information such as the vocations director, mother superior and they are all in different states or countries. There's no actual formation in Australia I would have to probably go to Italy so will find all that out.

Edited by Blue.Rose

Welcome, BlueRose - and from another Aussie in Adelaide, South Australia. :)  (I'm not discerning religious life however)  I hope all will go well with your application re religious life.

Prayer

Spem in alium

Yes spem in alium I'm Aussie :)

Domenica_therese - I'm not in the formal application yet, I'm finding out soon what will happen though. I'm the first person from my country who will enter the order so it's a bit complicated because lots of people need to find out information such as the vocations director, mother superior and they are all in different states or countries. There's no actual formation in Australia I would have to probably go to Italy so will find all that out.

Ah! I'm from Sydney :) I think your plans sound good! I hope the process is as smooth for you as possible.

? :)

Welcome to the phorum Blue Rose..............................prayers and best wishes as you continue your discernment. :nun3:

Want2beChrist'sBride

Welcome from another Aussie! It is awesome how there is a whole family of Aussie discerners! Praise the Lord!

God Bless you in your discernment. 

Oh my goodness!! The Aussies are coming out of the woodwork today!!!  Welcome all to the Phorum (from one who is NOT an Aussie but a Cheesehead.  Hint:  I'm from behind the "Cheddar Curtain" as they call us Wisconsinites, hence the moniker "cheesehead"  Perhaps you've watched our Green Bay Packers football team and seen some of the fans with the foam wedges of cheese on their heads.  Yup, that's us  :hehe2:

Edited by Francis Clare

Spem in alium

I'm an Aussie lurker of many years' standing.  I'm from Perth.

Prayers and blessings.

Your name is a giveaway ;)

Oh my goodness!! The Aussies are coming out of the woodwork today!!!  Welcome all to the Phorum (from one who is NOT an Aussie but a Cheesehead.  Hint:  I'm from behind the "Cheddar Curtain" as they call us Wisconsinites, hence the moniker "cheesehead"  Perhaps you've watched our Green Bay Packers football team and seen some of the fans with the foam wedges of cheese on their heads.  Yup, that's us  :hehe2:

I'm a huge cheese fan. I was in your part of the world in 2012 and was lucky enough to try cheese curds...thought they were amazing! :)

Welcome, Blue Rose ! We are happy to journey with you, even from far away!   I'm Yankee-Irish but we have a number of communities spread across your country.

I live right across the lake from you.

Welcome! I am in a somewhat similar position (know the call; know the place; waiting for entrance) but I have completed all the necessary formal steps for entrance aside from acquiring a few things and crossing the threshold. My entrance date (God willing) is this year. I am also finishing up at a University right now, so I haven't begun getting rid of my possessions just yet. I've been trying to stop accumulating them, but God seems to have a sense of humor because all my things keep breaking in half, sprouting outrageous holes, or getting lost! So it will be a miracle if I'm even left with anything to dispose of when August comes :)

It sounds like you are still in the application process? Or did I misread?

...August 15th per chance?