An Old School Catholic Message Board

Priest Or Seminarian?

Crucesignata

Salvete Omnes!

How can one tell the difference between a priest and a seminarian? I keep running into seminarians wearing the collar and a cassock and keep making the mistake of calling them, "Father." lol, actually they seem to like it, but how can one tell the diff. or can one?
Oh, and I know this is probably a stupid question, but how does one address a seminarian? XD

Thanks!

~Crucesignata~

Salvete Omnes!

How can one tell the difference between a priest and a seminarian? I keep running into seminarians wearing the collar and a cassock and keep making the mistake of calling them, "Father." lol, actually they seem to like it, but how can one tell the diff. or can one?
Oh, and I know this is probably a stupid question, but how does one address a seminarian? XD

Thanks!

~Crucesignata~

There really isn't a way. The clericals that a seminarian wears are identical to that of a priest. (assuming he's in major seminary, the college seminarians are not supposed to wear clerics unless they are assisting at mass) I would know, I've been shopping for clerics before when i was a seminarian.

As for addressing a seminarian, just call them by their name. :)

Edited by arfink

Ha! Well, thanks. :) Good to know. I suppose I shall have to continue calling everyone with a collar/cassock "Father." Hopefully they won't mind too much! XD

Thanks again!

~Crucesignata~

AveMariaPurissima

Hmm...my approach is that if a man is wearing a Roman collar (and I don't already know that he's a seminarian), then I will address him "Father."  I figure if he's a seminarian, he'll correct me...I'm sure they're used to plenty of people making the same mistake! :)  And as far as I know, you just call seminarians by their names.

Deacons can be referred to (in English, anyway) as Reverend Mister Last-Name. That was the custom for a long time, and it's still used in formal announcements like where they're assigned to assist the pastor and so forth. But I think most people these days refer to their deacon as Deacon First-Name of Deacon Last-Name.

It can be good to get seminarians accustomed to the wearing of clerical dress, so that it comes naturally to them when they are ordained. It also reminds them to develop their inner configuration to Christ.

PhuturePriest

Ha! Well, thanks. :) Good to know. I suppose I shall have to continue calling everyone with a collar/cassock "Father." Hopefully they won't mind too much! XD

Thanks again!

~Crucesignata~

I remember once I assisted my spiritual director with a baptism, and afterwards the family came up and thanked me, and then asked me if I was a priest, or if I was at least studying to become one. That's been over a year ago, and I'm still getting off that high. Trust me, you're just making their day when you call them "Father". ;)