An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Are Religions So "controlling"?

southern california guy

HisChildForever

My experiences with protestant congregations is that their number one priority is "community" and "fellowship". They don't believe in authority when it comes to matters of doctrine and faith, so why would they go to a church in the first place? The answer, quite simply, is to socialize. That's why protestant services typically cater to fellowship and community, with hand-holding and the whole shebang, and afterwards, everyone goes to have lunch together and they talk and socialize during that. My impression on protestant churches is that they are closer to social clubs than anything else. That's why you can literally get kicked out of a protestant church. in the Catholic Church, you literally can't be "kicked out". You can be excommunicated or it can be deemed due to some conflicting beliefs you can't receive the Eucharist, but even if you are excommunicated, you are always welcome to go to Mass and social church gatherings. Of course, there are Catholic parishes that act more as social clubs than an actual Church, but that's not how it's supposed to be, and I've never encountered one like that before.

I have to say that my experience has been the opposite. My fiance's church community is small, so naturally everyone knows each other, but that comes secondary to their worship, prayer gatherings, and other such faith-oriented activities. They've also attracted all sorts of, er, "unconventional" types but would never dream of telling those people to leave. (I actually had the experience of seeing one such person last week lol.) One couple who wanted to join the church were informed that they were cohabiting and it was not something they (the church) supported, so they were gently counseled on why they should reconsider that lifestyle... so the couple decided not to join. They might not have doctrine like the Catholic Church but their denomination has it's own catechism and traditions.

They're a very welcoming bunch, really. Always very respectful of me, and are very loving toward any Christian, Catholic or otherwise.

southern california guy

I have to say that my experience has been the opposite. My fiance's church community is small, so naturally everyone knows each other, but that comes secondary to their worship, prayer gatherings, and other such faith-oriented activities. They've also attracted all sorts of, er, "unconventional" types but would never dream of telling those people to leave. (I actually had the experience of seeing one such person last week lol.) One couple who wanted to join the church were informed that they were cohabiting and it was not something they (the church) supported, so they were gently counseled on why they should reconsider that lifestyle... so the couple decided not to join. They might not have doctrine like the Catholic Church but their denomination has it's own catechism and traditions.

They're a very welcoming bunch, really. Always very respectful of me, and are very loving toward any Christian, Catholic or otherwise.

It sounds like that church is not too bad.  The churches I've attended would not dream of counseling an unmarried couple -- for fear that the couple might not join.  As far as that goes I don't think I know of many Catholic priests who would counsel or criticize unmarried couples.  Here in California we have a huge number of Mexicans who are living together unmarried -- and of course they are all Catholic.  I think that is an issue that the Catholic church holds its breath on.