An Old School Catholic Message Board

Benedictines

Kayte Postle

So I've been interested in looking at Benedictine orders recently, (looking not contacting yet), and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations? I'm looking at orders that are contemplative or contemplative/active. I'm already looking at:

Benedictines of Mary, Queen of Apostles

The Abbey of St. Walburga

The Oliventan Benedictine Sisters of Holy Angels

Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary

If you attracted to Benedictine spirituality, particularly monastic life, you might like to also check out the Cisterician/Trappistine orders.

Monastery of the Immaculate Heart of Mary

St. Cecilia's Abbey (In England, but they are really wonderful. They have many sisters from overseas.)

I've never heard of these sisters, they seem wonderful. They have the Traditional Latin Mass! (gahh fangirl-ing). Do you know if they are cloistered?

The Clear Creek sisters are fairly new, I don't know much about them personally but I discerned with a 'sister' community from the same Congregation and they are cloistered. 

Benedictine Sisters of Grace and Compassion (They are present in the UK and several African countries, and they are active/contemplative - they have a very strong prayer life, centred on the Divine Office and Mass, but also care for elderly people as part of their Benedictine focus on hospitality.)

Benedictine Sisters of Jesus Crucified (They are contemplative, and are unique for being open to women in poor health and with physical disabilities as well as to able-bodied women. They have two monasteries in France, one in the US, and one in Japan.)

I believe the Clear Creek women used to be part of the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of Apostles. Or...I could be wrong.

Edited by DameAgnes

Ancilla Domini

I believe the Clear Creek women used to be part of the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of Apostles. Or...I could be wrong.

No, they're two separate groups. The Clear Creek Benedictines are joined with the Clear Creek Benedictine monks, and I believe their community started in Clear Creek. @Kayte: I think that they are cloistered, but I could be mistaken. If they're not cloistered, then they're semi-cloistered.

Edited by Ancilla Domini

No, they're two separate groups. The Clear Creek Benedictines are joined with the Clear Creek Benedictine monks, and I believe their community started in Clear Creek. @Kayte: I think that they are cloistered, but I could be mistaken. If they're not cloistered, then they're semi-cloistered.

From the pics it looks like they accept older vocations :like3:

If you attracted to Benedictine spirituality, particularly monastic life, you might like to also check out the Cisterician/Trappistine orders.

I will, thank you Deus!

@Kayte: I think that they are cloistered, but I could be mistaken. If they're not cloistered, then they're semi-cloistered.

Thank you ancilla. Yeah I was looking around their website, and it looks like they have constitutional enclosure (there are a few pictures of building their enclosure wall), but they never state it in plain words on their website.

So many avvesome Benedictines! Here I was thinking there were only a handful of traditional Benedictines, but there are so many!! Thank you all, and keep them coming.