An Old School Catholic Message Board

Orders That Serve Active Priests

Kylie Spinelli

Kylie Spinelli

I feel a call to serve priests, either through labor (making altar breads at least, ideally actually working with priests and being a sacristan or something), or through constant prayer for priests. I really don't think I'm meant to be cloistered, but are any of you aware of any orders that do this? Habits would be awesome.
THANK YOU!

The Children Of Mary have a deep devotion to praying for priests, and spend every Friday and Wednesday fasting and praying for priests. They also have several retreat houses on their property, one of which is used mostly for priests on retreat.

The Sisters of St. Francis of the Martyr St. George, one of their apostolates is care for clergy. This includes caring for elderly priests, serving in households for bishops and the Papal Nunciature in D.C., and they do work in several seminaries.

Maybe the Sister Disciples of the Divine Master?  You might have heard of the Daughters of St Paul.  The Sister Disciples are the contemplative branch of the same family but not cloistered.  They have a liturgical apostolate, which can mean a bunch of different things.  If you call up the Vatican, I think a Sister Disciple will pick up the phone.

They have modified habits.  They don't look like they stepped out of the 16th century but are still definitely nuns.

Auxiliaries of the Blessed Sacrament

Franciscan Missionary Sisters of Our Lady of Sorrows (includes parish ministry)

Sisters of the Most Holy Soul of Christ the Lord (assist in parishes as sacristans and secretaries)

Oblate Sisters of the Sacred Heart (assist active priests in parish ministry AND care for retired priests)

Parish Visitors of Mary Immaculate (assist the local Catholic pastor with homebound ministry and catechesis)

Little Sisters of the Holy Family.  They were founded in Canada for service in rectories/parishes, and were in Massachusetts for quite a while.  Not sure if they're still in Tewksbury or not, but their numbers have diminished, at least in this country.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

Benedictine Sisters of Perpetual Adoration in Clyde, MO make altar breads, the Sisters in Tucson I think make vestments...Some of the Older Sisters still wear their habits, the rest of the environment went completely non-habited for a while, but I think they are moving back towards habits again.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

Also the Apostles of Interior Life, they're a wonderful order and in fact my Pastor's Spiritual Director is one of their sisters. They are a non-habited order but completely awesome holy women, if you are wanting to support priest and not be cloistered this is definitely an order I would check out. http://www.apostlesofil.com 

Kylie Spinelli

Auxiliaries of the Blessed Sacrament

Franciscan Missionary Sisters of Our Lady of Sorrows (includes parish ministry)

Sisters of the Most Holy Soul of Christ the Lord (assist in parishes as sacristans and secretaries)

Oblate Sisters of the Sacred Heart (assist active priests in parish ministry AND care for retired priests)

Parish Visitors of Mary Immaculate (assist the local Catholic pastor with homebound ministry and catechesis)

I've visited the PVMI and they're awesome! I don't think that's THE order for me, but I really love their apostolate!

• 2 weeks later...

There are also the Sisters of St.Martha of St.Hyacinthe.They are a Canadian order and some knowledge of french might be helpful though I think they are also in the US. There is also the Oblate Sisters of Jesus the Priest.They used to be in San Antonio at one time but they do have a website in english.Another group is the Josephine Sisters or Hermanas Josefinas in spanish .Both communities  are from mexico.The Josephine Sisters do other work such as teaching as well. There is also the Sisters of St.Joan of Arc.They were in the US not sure if they have any convent in the US any more,,,,,but they are in Canada.

Along with the Hermanas Josefinas in San Antonio is the Missionary Servants of St.Anthony.They run Pauda Place a home for aged priests as well as do catechical work.They were founded here in the 1920s.

I seem to recall also another canadian community known as the Little Daughters of St.Joseph.They were in the book Convent Life by Joan Lexau.

I know they do have Guide to Catholic Sisterhoods in the United States by Rev.Thomas P.McCarthy on line.I think they were mentioned in it also.The one bad thing with the McCarthy book is the photos are listed as cpoyrighted so you can't see photos of these old habits.

There is also the Antonian Sisters of Our LadyHelp of the Clergy also in Canada.

And there is also the Maryvale Sisters in North Carolina.Their offical name is Servants of Our lady,Queen of the Clergy. They also work with priests in parishes. They don't have a website because I've looked.

The Little Daughters of St.Joseph  do have a website  .I found it under Petite Filles de Saint Joseph. Acccording to their website which Google will translate from French the sisters  are only 21 in number.They reside with the Sisters of Providence.