An Old School Catholic Message Board

Source For Black Ball Head Pins 1.5in 38mm?

Aya Sophia

Hello, all

This may be a shot in the dark but I'm wondering if any Religious on the phorum who wear black veils that require pinning (or anyone on the phorum, for that matter) could confirm a source for black ballhead steel pins 1 1/2" long, 38mm thickness.  A community of Sisters I'm friendly with has been searching for these.  Friends (including self) have searched the internet for them and the closest any of us could find was 1 1/4" long.  (Yes, that little 1/4" does make a difference!)

Thanks....

Indwelling Trinity

Often if you go to your local florist or some times funeral homes they can direct you  or even give you what you need for a couple of dollars. Formal dressmakers may also be of help. :wave:

Edited by Indwelling Trinity

I have found a source for black round top straight pins.  If you go to amazon.com and type in straight pins, scroll down, and you should see YazyCraft pins.  They advertise many colored pins; however, I found the black ones right away.  The pins are 11/2' long, 90 count in pkg., costing $6.50.  These pins are indeed difficult to find, but they are still out there.  I found some in the UK also.  You just have to have patience to look under various subjects, i.e. sewing notions, applique quilting pins and costuming.  Also, I don't think that you will find them cheaper.  When I was in the convent, we had to guard our black pins with the greatest care not lose or break one.  Good luck.

I have found a source for black round top straight pins. If you go to amazon.com and type in straight pins, scroll down, and you should see YazyCraft pins. They advertise many colored pins; however, I found the black ones right away. The pins are 11/2' long, 90 count in pkg., costing $6.50. These pins are indeed difficult to find, but they are still out there. I found some in the UK also. You just have to have patience to look under various subjects, i.e. sewing notions, applique quilting pins and costuming. Also, I don't think that you will find them cheaper. When I was in the convent, we had to guard our black pins with the greatest care not lose or break one. Good luck.

I have linked the Amazon ones in my post above 😊

Thanks for your responses...

I forgot to mention that I had seen the YazyCrafts offer on Amazon (design is as the Sisters are looking for) but had the following hesitation:  

- Is YazyCrafts safe to buy from?  Is Amazon fulfillment of their orders an assurance that they're safe?

- Couldn't find confirmation of pin content- stainless steel?  Stainless steel nickel-plated?  Something else?  (Concern is whether or how easily they will rust)

Then there is the matter of the point - do they pierce the fabric smoothely without snagging it - but I guess there's no way to confirm this without having them in hand.

Who knew there would be so much to buying pins?! 

Thanks...

amazon is perfectly safe...I have been buying books and household items from them for 10 years + and have never had a problem with any aspect of the purchasing process (I have bought books from amazon uk and spain also...what did you mean by safe....not positive about the points but if they are for quilting, sewing and applique, I would think that the point is smooth and would not snag...rust proof...unless they are kept for eons and/or put in water, I don't see how they could possibly rust...I have a portion of a quilt that my grandmother started a very long time and did not finish...the appliques are pinned and they have not rusted...in fact, I don't believe I have ever heard anyone talking about pins rusting and I have been sewing, quilting and using needs, pins in various needle arts and have yet to have one rust...for $6.50 it would be worth a try (just my opinion).

I can echo Begin Again - I've been using Amazon for years, never had a problem. The review system is helpful - and this product has a 5 star review.

I also sew, and have never had pins rust.

For a few pounds for 90 pins, I don't think you can go wrong 😊