An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sisters Of Reparation Receive Postulant On Christmas Day

DameAgnes

OnlySunshine

That's beautiful but what an odd day to receive someone.  I've never heard of someone entering on Christmas or Easter.  Nonetheless, it's great to see this beautiful community growing!

What a lovely day to enter this beautiful Community....................it is wonderful to see it growing. Sr  Kathlene .looks so happy.

I think it is a beautiful day for the Postulant. But, forgive me, I think could, imitially, make the separation harder for her family. For that reason I am not sure it would always be a good idea - not for all families.

IgnatiusofLoyola

I think it is a beautiful day for the Postulant. But, forgive me, I think could, imitially, make the separation harder for her family. For that reason I am not sure it would always be a good idea - not for all families.

You're right, Christmas as an entrance day wouldn't be right for many (perhaps most) postulants because it could make entrance harder for the family. But, I am assuming that the Sisters of Reparation would not have done this if it would hurt the woman's family in any way. There are so many good entrance days in December (and January) that there was no reason to choose Christmas unless it was right for both the postulant AND her family. Since I know of no evidence to the contrary, I see no reason not to give the Sisters of Reparation the benefit of the doubt.

Each to their own......but I think I agree with the notion that there are certain Liturgical seasons when the time is devoted utterly to Him, Advent and Lent, with respectively Christmas and Easter at their apex, are two such.

We only ever had entrances to the postulancy in Ordinary Times for this reason. No one was considered to be so special as to have attention focussed on her for anniversaries, Vows etc in those Seasons.

However, having said this, I know many communities do have postulants enter on the feast days that fall in both Lent and Advent. Never heard of one on Christmas day before.

Edited by maximillion

An entrance into  Postulate outside of Ordinary Time seems weird, but since I guess in most communities the feast day of the entrance of postulate is not commemorated, it seems not to pose such a big problem. For us we celebrate (very low scale) the entrance into the Novitiate until Final Profession, but not at all the beginning of Postulancy.

Maybe it is the same for some other communities?

Sr Mary Catharine OP

I entered on Epiphany Day. Who knows why she entered on Christmas Day but I would rather just be happy for them and for her rather than analyze the why and suitability of the day! I'm sure they know what they are doing. This is the first time I've heard Ordinary Time being the normal time to enter. In monastic life you enter when you enter and preferably on a feast day.

It's lovely to see this community growing! Deo gratias!

Yep, I've heard of several entrances to Carmel outside of Ordinary Time like on the Feast of St. Joseph and the Annunciation during Lent!

And... I guess a Happy Anniversary to Sr. Mary Catharine is in order!   :)

I thoroughly agree....Happy Anniversary Sr. Mary Catherine !    :) :)

God Bless !!

Happy Anniversary, Sister Mary Catharine, and yes, let's praise God entrances happen, whenever they do!