An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mother Dolores Hart, Osb

Ancilla Domini

Ancilla Domini

I don't know if this is the right place to put this. Maybe I ought to have put it in VS. But anyway, here goes.

I read Mother Dolores' autobiography and my reaction when I put the book down was, "She didn't leave Hollywood. She brought Hollywood into the convent with her." Did anyone else have this reaction?

KnightofChrist

Why do you say she has brought Hollywood into the convent? I don't know much about her other than she was once a actress back in the day and became a nun later. A quick Google search reveals she has made one movie since the '60's, and that was entitled "God is bigger than Elvis", the title sounds ok, but I've never seen the film.

Ancilla Domini

Why do you say she has brought Hollywood into the convent? I don't know much about her other than she was once a actress back in the day and became a nun later. A quick Google search reveals she has made one movie since the '60's, and that was entitled "God is bigger than Elvis", the title sounds ok, but I've never seen the film.

Well, you would have to read the autobiography in order to understand exactly what I'm saying, but basically what I mean is that she didn't exactly leave Hollywood behind her, when she entered the convent, and really retained her identity as an "ex-actress." She used her influence quite a few times, so she says in her book:

The first singing CD that the convent made bore the headline: "Actress who kissed Elvis is back in the spotlight!"(paraphrase.)

She also founded a theatre, called The Gary-The Olivia (http://www.thegarytheolivia.com/) where plays are performed, which the nuns help with. Various times in the history of the theatre, famous actors and actresses have come to act/offer help, mainly because of Mother Dolores' being in the Hollywood "in-crowd."

Is it just I, or does this strike you as rather curious?

Basilisa Marie

From my limited understanding, there are many ways to "do" religious life, legitimately. I don't think anything she's done has broken any rules?  And if the publicity can get people to look at the Church and religious vocations as a favorable thing, isn't that good? I really like catching glimpses of her in her habit, walking around the background of all the interviews before the Academy Awards. 

Golden Years

I for one have had the same impression for years.  And the movie isn't "God is Bigger Than Elvis", it's called "God is the Bigger Elvis."  I'm sorry but God is not an Elvis. 

Ancilla Domini

I for one have had the same impression for years.  And the movie isn't "God is Bigger Than Elvis", it's called "God is the Bigger Elvis."  I'm sorry but God is not an Elvis. 

Oh, wow, I didn't know that! I thought it was "God is Bigger Than Elvis," but now that I look it up, I see I was wrong. Yeah...that seems pretty problematic.

Edited by Ancilla Domini

Here is an article about the movie. I don't think they meant "God is the bigger Elvis" as a way of reducing God to Elvis's level.

Regina Laudis is a very fascinating place. Their interpretation of monasticism is very unique! But also perfectly legitimate. The idea is that you enter religious life with gifts and talents and you don't leave them behind you, rather you should use them within the context of your vocation. In male religious life this is more common - the monks still pursue interests whether they are in academia, art, science and so forth. With permission obviously. But for women, more communities expect there to be a sharp difference between your identity before you enter and after.

Regina Laudis has a more whole-person approach I guess you would say. They did have a visitation in the early 90s which caused them to make some changes. They got rid of their spiritual director and the foundress was deposed (she's since passed away). The local diocese recommends them enthusiastically now.

What's that verse in the Bible? Something like, "It's easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for an ex-actress to..." - I forget the rest of it.

I have some interest in Regina Laudis since they do allow when to take on a career. I have always wanted to be a vet and I have thought about religious life, mainly Benedictine and Regina Laudis has always stood out to me.

I haven't read the autobiography but it does bother me that she is always wearing that beret...a minor frustration, probably not sufficient for debate :french:

Ancilla Domini

I haven't read the autobiography but it does bother me that she is always wearing that beret...a minor frustration, probably not sufficient for debate :french:

I believe that the beret has something to do with a nerve problem...let me look that up...ok, so apparently she has a nerve problem that resulted in her head being particularly susceptible to cold. She said that her head was cold, and the Superior told her to wear another veil on top of it. She asked permission to wear the beret because, she said, "Isn't the extra veil pretty  dull?" It didn't need to be classy, though...she might have used the extra veil... :unsure:

P.S. That little Frenchman emoticon ought to be typed :motherdolores: :hehe2:

Edited by Ancilla Domini

I believe that the beret has something to do with a nerve problem...let me look that up...ok, so apparently she has a nerve problem that resulted in her head being particularly susceptible to cold. She said that her head was cold, and the Superior told her to wear another veil on top of it. She asked permission to wear the beret because, she said, "Isn't the extra veil pretty  dull?" It didn't need to be classy, though...she might have used the extra veil... :unsure:

P.S. That little Frenchman emoticon ought to be typed :motherdolores: :hehe2:

Well this is good to know but I agree with your tiny type font.  Having this nerve problem is justification for the extra veil and if her Superior gave her permission to wear the beret, that is between them but it seems a little peculiar that a Sister be allowed to add a modification like that to her habit when the additional veil was an option.  I don't know, it's a pretty superficial issue so I'm just issuing my two cents.

Sponsa-Christi

I don't know if this is the right place to put this. Maybe I ought to have put it in VS. But anyway, here goes.

I read Mother Dolores' autobiography and my reaction when I put the book down was, "She didn't leave Hollywood. She brought Hollywood into the convent with her." Did anyone else have this reaction?

I probably wouldn't have thought to phrase it this way myself, but I did get a similar impression.

I really enjoyed the first part of the book, where she talks about her conversion, her efforts to live as a faithful Catholic in Hollywood, her discernment, etc. But in the second part, where she recounts her life in the monastery, I had the sense that something was a bit "off."

(By the way, this isn't meant to be a direct criticism of Mother Dolores or her monastery---I'm just sharing the feelings I had from reading the book.)

Sponsa-Christi

Could you please explain or give an example Sponsa-Christi? Or anyone else?

Okay, I'm still sort of jet-lagged from my flight back to Rome after Christmas vacation, so I probably won't be explaining this very well...but in M. Dolores' writings about her post-monastery life, to me it seemed like there was just something weird about the tone.

Her descriptions of her pre-monastery life seemed like they were filled with a profound gratitude for God's grace and providence as she saw them working in her life. There were also a lot of wonderfully honest descriptions of her struggles to integrate her Catholic faith with her career as an actress, along with her developing awareness of how an acting career could be used to glorify God. Her descriptions of the joys and trials of discerning a religious vocation also felt very true-to-life and inspiring.  

But in the second part of the book where she describes her monastic life, it was almost like she lost her sense of focus. The main theme of this part of the book seemed to be how dehumanizing monastic life in the 1960's was, and how she personally helped to fix all her monastery's problems once she was professed.

She talks a lot about how she initiated some innovative personal and professional development programs for the Sisters in formation at her monastery---the idea of which, on paper at least, is something with which I would be inclined to heartily agree!---but her descriptions of these changes sounded like they were coming from a perspective that was a bit too human, bordering on "worldly."

In other memoirs from cloistered nuns that I've read (like St. Therese's Story of a Soul, Mother Mary Francis' A Right to Be Merry, or Sr. Catherine Thomas' My Beloved), I always feel like the authors convey a sense of the beauty of renouncing earthly things for heavenly things, the joy of surrendering fully to God even in the midst of darkness, the profound mystery of a vocation to be Christ's bride, etc. But with Mother Dolores' book, I felt like all these themes were oddly missing. I sort of felt like she was instead presenting her Sisters' professional development and cultural achievements as ends in themselves, to the extent that by the end of the book I was left wondering if she was confusing these things for the main point of monastic life.

But like I said earlier, these were just my own personal impressions from reading the book. I'm not personally acquainted with Regina Laudis, so for all I know my problems with the book might actually just be problems with the style or way it was written, rather than with Mother Dolores personally or the actual spirituality of the monastery.