An Old School Catholic Message Board

Consecration Of A Virgin At St. John Cantius

Chiquitunga

Sponsa-Christi

Wow. Never seen photos of this before......is it usual for it to be so public and with a wedding gown?

There are actually quite a few nice photos of consecrations out there on the internet, if you're handy with google image searching.

The Rite of Consecration to a Life of Virginity is public ritual, in the same way the religious professions and ordinations are public. And, the introduction to the Rite  tells us directly that the faithful should be encouraged to attend consecrations to a life of virginity.

Wearing a wedding gown isn't required, but a lot of consecrated virgins-to-be choose to wear one because of its symbolism. The idea is that since we are becoming brides of Christ, our consecration is truly our wedding day. (When I was consecrated, I wore a very simple white wool dress, but it was actually the very same dress my mother wore at her own wedding.)

Edited by Sponsa-Christi

I attended this and it was so glorious! So wonderful to meet many CVs too! I think it was really unique that she had it with a Traditional Latin Mass too. Marie is a wonderful young woman! She's now the 8th Consecration Virgin in Chicago, and the youngest (in her later 20's) There was a good amount of people there and I was all the way in the back (thus I'm not in any of those pictures :j) I got some of my own, but I was so glad to see these!

Here was a thread with a video of another young CV (the youngest in the US Sponsa-Christi mentioned on her blog)

http://vimeo.com/49862518

DiscerningCatholic

She looks so young!!! (Young as in my age or just a few years older!) Beautiful photos!

On a side note, we've been to St. John Cantius a few times during our trips to Chicago; beautiful place! 

Edited by DiscerningCatholic

she is only 29!

Why was she given the OF Breviary, not the Extraordinary Form (1962) one, given that she attends daily mass in the EF at St John Cantius? 
 http://www.flickr.com/photos/98771997@N02/11634668775/sizes/l/in/set-72157639171215155/

since the rubrics of the EF mass do not allow anything to be inserted in the middle, how was this possible? In the Rite, with the OF, the virgin is consecrated during the mass. Was the consecration before or after the mass?

If the 1970 Rite of Consecration was used, to make it flow well with the extraordinary form mass, was the entire consecration ceremony all in Latin? did the congregation have translation booklets?

she is only 29!

Why was she given the OF Breviary, not the Extraordinary Form (1962) one, given that she attends daily mass in the EF at St John Cantius? 
 http://www.flickr.com/photos/98771997@N02/11634668775/sizes/l/in/set-72157639171215155/

since the rubrics of the EF mass do not allow anything to be inserted in the middle, how was this possible? In the Rite, with the OF, the virgin is consecrated during the mass. Was the consecration before or after the mass?

If the 1970 Rite of Consecration was used, to make it flow well with the extraordinary form mass, was the entire consecration ceremony all in Latin? did the congregation have translation booklets?

oremus1 -- welcome to phatmass!

Before this turns into a debate ... just a friendly reminder that we are in Vocation Station.  I think the intention of the original poster is to inform everyone about the event not necessarily discuss the rubrics.

If you do want to discuss/debate about the correct rubrics for doing a consecration in the EF mass you may want to open a separate thread in debate table, or maybe Transmundane Lane.  If someone has a quick answer then it would be appropriate here.

That was sooo beautiful! I've never seen anything like it and she seems so joyful.  It's fascinating to see because I'm not sure how rare that vocation is but it seems pretty rare that people actually embrace it when they're called to it.

OnlySunshine

This has renewed my interest in the vocation of Consecrated Virginity.  Such a beautiful witness to a beautiful vocation.  :)

ToJesusMyHeart

Where are y'all seeing pics? I clicked the link and it talks about some "Gail Archer Organ Recital" ???

Where are y'all seeing pics? I clicked the link and it talks about some "Gail Archer Organ Recital" ???

I can't find it now but I saw it before it disappeared.  :(

If you click on the link Oremus1 posted above (post #8) it will take you to a flickr photo. At the top there should be something that says "Photo/all Sizes" click on the word Photo. It'll take you to a smaller version of the photo, and if you scroll down a little on the bottom towards the right you will see a link the rest of the photos (it should say "Consecrated Virgin Installed.." and have a line of small pics underneath)

.....or you could click here and it should get you there.