An Old School Catholic Message Board

Prayer Stools

brandelynmarie

brandelynmarie

The French style one is unusual....I've never seen one like that before...thank you :) & yes, I'm still researching ;)

Did you see this one from the site Nikita suggested?  

It's a BARE FOOT!!!!   Certainly should be for a discalced Carmelite?   ROTFL

footquiltrackcloseup.jpg

IgnatiusofLoyola

It's a BARE FOOT!!!!   Certainly should be for a discalced Carmelite?   rotfl

footquiltrackcloseup.jpg

Well, if I was being picky, I'd say it was for a Poor Claire since discalced Carmelites wear sandals......but whatever. It's, uh, different.

Although, from this angle, it looks more like a wooden magazine rack to me than a prayer stool. I can't figure out how it works.    :think2:    Clearly a sign that I do not have a vocation.  :paperbag:  

It's a BARE FOOT!!!!   Certainly should be for a discalced Carmelite?   rotfl

footquiltrackcloseup.jpg

Heh, heh.  Sorry it won't work I think.  It's a quilt rack .... :D

It is funny!! Have you ever had a foot cramp while kneeling ??? I did! It started coming on shortly after I got into position! I couldn't excuse myself either, because the pew was shoulder to shoulder!! It was painful!!! I feel for you Ignatiusofloyola!!! If I sit for any length of time and then get up... I am stiff and sore!! I would love to live across from any kind of convent!!! My city has none!!!;(

Indwelling Trinity

http://www.therosaryshop.com   I have one of their unupholstered Taize style wooden prayer benches and thay are wonderful to sit back on as if you were sittinf back on your heals. They are very solid. I have had mine for about ten years and on my better days when i can get out of bed to my little prayer corner, my nurse can help me and i can still sit back on it to pray but not as long.

good luck.

I made my own for about $30.00. (a piece of oak, a long piano hinge that I cut down, foam padding from Joanne Fabrics for the seat, and black vinyl to upholster the foam-covered seat.) The trick is deciding how tall you want the hinged legs to be so that your own legs don't bunch up under the stool and cut off your circulation. (Most commercial stools are between 8 and 10 inches tall.) I recommend also getting a closed cell foam sheet (like a pad you can buy at a sporting goods store that you use on the ground when you camp in a tent to protect you from the dampness when you're in your sleeping bag) that you can cover in matching fabric and make into pad upon which you place your stool. It really helps preserve the kneecap!

brandelynmarie

The pad sounds like a good idea...I'm not good at building things, though. I'm still in research mode :)