An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dominican Monastery Closes - Camden, Nj

Luigi

This infomration comes from the website of the Dominican nuns in Delaware.

The Monastery of the Perpetual Rosary
Camden, NJ
A solemn Mass of Thanksgiving was celebrated on December 9, 2013, Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception, to commemorate 113 years of Dominican contemplative life in Camden, NJ. Bishop Dennis Sullivan concelebrated the Mass at 11:00 am in the public chapel of the Monastery. Many friends and benefactors of the community attended, as well as sisters from other monasteries. We here at New Castle attended as did several members of the communities of Elmira, NY, Bronx, NY, Summit, NJ, Lufkin, TX, and Squamish, BC,  Canada. The sisters in Lancaster, PA intended to attend but were prevented by the winter weather.

The three remaining sisters have already transfiliated to the Monastery of Mary the Queen and will be moving there shortly after Christmas. We thank Sr Anna Marie for her devoted service to the Camden community this entire past year. May God bless the last three sisters of Camden for the witness of their lives and lead them forward to a new future in Elmira, NY, we pray.

Following Mass and the Reception, the sisters from the Bronx brought the two Lufkin sisters visit us here in New Castle.  How good and how pleasant it is when sisters dwell in unity!

IgnatiusofLoyola

There is also an article on this on the Summit Dominicans blog (three?) Summit nuns attended the service.

Note: I'd give you a direct link to the article, but the Summit Dominicans' Web site is not working right now. (I'll contact the nuns in case they don't realize their Web site is down, but I will wait until AFTER Christmas. The nuns have more important things to do for the next few days!)

Slightly sad but I'm glad they have found a solution that works for everyone. I'm sure the Elmira community will greatly benefit from the wisdom these three sisters will give to the community.