An Old School Catholic Message Board

Alton Franciscans: Quick Question

Kayte Postle

Has anyone discerned with them? Does anyone know the daily schedule looks like (can't seem to find it anywhere here or on their website).

young_and_faithful_

You should see the movie Light of Love, that is one of the congregations featured on there, the first one to be exact!

...and on the show Our America with Lisa Ling there's an episode called Brides of Christ and they interview different orders, but in one part of the episode they interview a soon-to-be Alton Franciscan postulant

:) Hope you can find something on these two!

Sponsa-Christi

I've met several of these Sisters before---they're very nice and down-to-earth. They have a very wide variety of apostolates (everything from homemaking to doctoral studies), so I would imagine it would be difficult to describe the day of a "typical" Sister. But, I believe it's a community-wide custom in all their houses to start morning prayers at 5:00 am.

I've met several of these Sisters before---they're very nice and down-to-earth. They have a very wide variety of apostolates (everything from homemaking to doctoral studies), so I would imagine it would be difficult to describe the day of a "typical" Sister. But, I believe it's a community-wide custom in all their houses to start morning prayers at 5:00 am.

A very good point Sponsa. The teaching or nursing sisters probably wouldn't do midday, but perhaps the professors/homemakers would have the ability to. I guess I didn't think that one through all that much. =)

They were originally founded in Germany. We do ever ything ridiculously early here.

But a quick look at the German website told me: They do laudes at 5.55 nowadays!

domenica_therese

I went on a Come and See with them. I'm not sure what information I have about them that might be helpful, but I picked up a pretty fair awareness of who they are and what they do, so if you have specific questions aside from schedule, try me and I'll see if I can answer.

I know that the Cross prayer is a part of their spirituality and I'm pretty sure the sisters do it daily. I think they have some sort of midday prayers they do -- even if not as a community. Individual sisters can find time to pray wherever they are, etc. As they are never missioned individually (always in clusters of at least 4 I think), they would presumably have someone else to pray with as well.

I went on a Come and See with them. I'm not sure what information I have about them that might be helpful, but I picked up a pretty fair awareness of who they are and what they do, so if you have specific questions aside from schedule, try me and I'll see if I can answer.

I know that the Cross prayer is a part of their spirituality and I'm pretty sure the sisters do it daily. I think they have some sort of midday prayers they do -- even if not as a community. Individual sisters can find time to pray wherever they are, etc. As they are never missioned individually (always in clusters of at least 4 I think), they would presumably have someone else to pray with as well.

Thanks for the info domenica! I'm narrowing down my list of possible communities, and the amount of prayer and daily schedule were important factors. I've been given the opportunity to spend time with a wide variety communities, as such I'm starting to get a feel for what I want/need in a community. When I was living with the Little Sisters of the Poor, I thought that the amount of prayer was just a hair short for what I needed (I felt like I needed intentional prayer time in the middle of the day, otherwise I felt really drained). The FSMG were the only ones on my long list that I couldn't find a schedule for.

...granted I might be living with the FSMG next fall, so I'll find out then.....

The Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus, at least in the Central Province-St. Louis area, do combine their apostolate with regular midday prayer.  Here in St. Louis, they limit their apostolate mostly to working with preschoolers and the elderly on the same campus as the motherhouse.  Perhaps that's why they can make more time in the day to pray together as a community.

The Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus, at least in the Central Province-St. Louis area, do combine their apostolate with regular midday prayer.  Here in St. Louis, they limit their apostolate mostly to working with preschoolers and the elderly on the same campus as the motherhouse.  Perhaps that's why they can make more time in the day to pray together as a community.

I have a friend who is a current postulant with the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart in STL. She really loves the balance between prayer/contemplation and the apostolate.

Thank you for the suggestion stlmom! I hadn't looked at the Carmelites DCJ much, but I think i might just.

On that note, does anyone know of any other active/contemplative orders that have some type of midday prayer? It could be midday prayer from LotH as a community, or something as simple as the rosary or a mid-day examine in front of the Blessed Sacrament. The apostolates that are ending up on my short list are mostly retreat work/parish missions, education, and nursing, but honestly I'm open to whatever the Lord asks of me.

ToJesusMyHeart

Thank you for the suggestion stlmom! I hadn't looked at the Carmelites DCJ much, but I think i might just.

On that note, does anyone know of any other active/contemplative orders that have some type of midday prayer? It could be midday prayer from LotH as a community, or something as simple as the rosary or a mid-day examine in front of the Blessed Sacrament. The apostolates that are ending up on my short list are mostly retreat work/parish missions, education, and nursing, but honestly I'm open to whatever the Lord asks of me.

Sisters of Life and Nashies. SOL do midday prayer from LOTH and last I checked ND's have their own community midday prayers (but they may also do LOTH midday).

Sometimes the SOL have their holy hour at midday (exposition, adoration, midday prayer) but most often it's in the evening with Vespers. 

Carmelites DCJ are wonderful though, definitely research them some more. I went there twice for visits and loved it. In Saint Louis, they use the Communion Rail for reception of the Eucharist, so that's a bonus! ;) 

Also, the Sister Servants of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus (Cresson PA) have built in prayer throughout the day.  I know some sisters in that community and they are nurses and teachers.  I am not sure of the  other apostolates that these sisters do.

be_thou_my_vision

Sisters of St. Francis of Perpetual Adoration in Mishawaka, IN and the Marian Sisters of the Diocese of Lincoln, Nebraska.